Harper to Phillies for 13 years $330 million

Dingo18287

11 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

For all the hand-wringing about how much of a loser Harper is, the Expos/Nationals franchise made the playoffs once in their 43 years of existence before Harper was called up. He's kind of like the Blake Griffin of the Nats (Scherzer is CP3?) in that yeah, they never did much in the playoffs, but he was the heart of the first legitimate roster to grace that sorry-*** franchise. They were like the Devil Rays for 4 decades lol. 

Nats fans have a right to hate him, but at least he was relatively honest about the fact that he wanted $$$ and to go the Yankees (too bad Hal's a *****). I've seen wayyyyy more obnoxious exits from other athletes.

All respect to Tony Gwynn, but Machado can be that guy for the Padres.

Who's been "wringing their hands about how much of a loser Harper is?"

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

? I've not picked that up.

I said he has dropped a few notches in smugness in my eyes which is the same thing. 

Maybe loser is too strong a word, but definitely much less of a winner than I have always imagined.  More of a loser than the MoL would hope but for sure that is a very high bar.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

I said he has dropped a few notches in smugness in my eyes which is the same thing. 

Maybe loser is too strong a word, but definitely much less of a winner than I have always imagined.  More of a loser than the MoL would hope but for sure that is a very high bar.

Oh....okay. I missed the context. You were referring to him accepting the offer as opposed to being a loser in his career.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Oh....okay. I missed the context. You were referring to him accepting the offer as opposed to being a loser in his career.

Mission 's life is smugness. It is the metric by which he measures everything,  and by which you must measure all of his comments.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 5:23 PM, deltarich87 said:

Trout won't be hitting FA so no worries

On 2/28/2019 at 6:09 PM, deltarich87 said:

Certainly unfortunate but won't stop the extension from getting done. With Harper/Machado deals finally out of the way, that should hasten extension talks. Think we see an 8yr extension added onto his existing 2yr contract that'll bring the total to well over $400 million across 10 years, with perhaps a player opt-out after 5 years or 6 years.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:47 PM, deltarich87 said:

The next decade is everything since that is what he'd be signing on for in said extension. The truth of the matter is there isn't much they can do right now to surpass Houston talent wise, so any additions made would be to simply fight for a WC berth and a one-game playoff. That's a lot of risk and money they'd be tying up in the future for that one-game playoff. The better course is to set themselves up for sustainable success going forward, and that starts with adding more homegrown talent which meant replenishing the farm system that the prior GM completely destroyed. Eppler, in his short time as GM, has done a great job of turning this farm system around and now they'll have around several players making their debuts this season and next. They'll also be able to actually trade some of their depth in the farm for established MLB talent as well

Their offseason this year heavily implied that they are gearing up for a Trout extension and to put themselves in position to make bigger moves over the next year. They signed a bunch of guys to 1yr deals so they won't have any future money tied up into aging and declining players. I'd expect they are more aggressive on a big FA or 2 next offseason once they have Trout secured for the long-term. 

Not bad if I say so myself

Archived