Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Nats traded Tanner for Tanner.

The what now?

schoenfield_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cropDavid SchoenfieldESPN Senior Writer 

The Reds have been searching for a veteran starting pitcher and got one in Tanner Roark from the Nationals in exchange for reliever Tanner Rainey, the never-before-seen Tanner-for-Tanner trade. Roark has pitched 180 innings each of the past three seasons and gave the Nationals some reliable innings, but now they have two big holes at the back of the rotation. They do, however, save an estimated $8.5 million in salary. Reds GM **** Williams, meanwhile, says the Reds are still hoping to do more. Sonny Gray remains a possibility and Buster Olney reports the Reds have interest in Marcus Stroman.

Okay ... I guess ... a salary bit of a dump?

On 12/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, Woz said:

The what now?

Okay ... I guess ... a salary bit of a dump?

Yes. Also, I have a feeling that Roark has gotten in Rizzo's nerves in the past. Roark wasnt happy about being moved to the pen in 2015. He was clearly right with Kintzler and Kelley. And honestly showing up to ST last season about 30lbs overweight and then losing like ten straight games didnt help. 

You could have carried him/gambled on him in previous years, but the division is simply too good now. You need a quality number 4 in the rotation.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Slateman said:

Yes. Also, I have a feeling that Roark has gotten in Rizzo's nerves in the past. Roark wasnt happy about being moved to the pen in 2015. He was clearly right with Kintzler and Kelley. And honestly showing up to ST last season about 30lbs overweight and then losing like ten straight games didnt help. 

You could have carried him/gambled on him in previous years, but the division is simply too good now. You need a quality number 4 in the rotation.

Except their #4 is Joe Ross ... so they effectively have a 4th starter for half a season? That means they then go to Kyle McGowin? Austin Voth?

48 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Anibal Sanchez coming in to be the 4th starter. 2 for $19M

Not sure I'm thrilled about spending 9.5M on a guy in his 35 and 36 year old seasons, but it's not the worst move I suppose.

The question will be: are the Nats getting the 2018 Braves' version (ERA = 2.83, WHIP = 1.08, WAR = 3.0) of Sanchez or the Tigers' version (2013 = {ERA = 2.57, WHIP = 1.15, WAR = 6.3}, 2014 = {ERA = 3.43, WHIP = 1.10, WAR = 2.4}, 2015 = {ERA = 4.99, WHIP = 1.28, WAR = 0.1}, 2016 = {ERA = 5.87, WHIP = 1.46, WAR = -1.1}, and 2017 = {ERA = 6.41, WHIP = 1.59, WAR = -0.8})?

11 hours ago, Woz said:

Not sure I'm thrilled about spending 9.5M on a guy in his 35 and 36 year old seasons, but it's not the worst move I suppose.

The question will be: are the Nats getting the 2018 Braves' version (ERA = 2.83, WHIP = 1.08, WAR = 3.0) of Sanchez or the Tigers' version (2013 = {ERA = 2.57, WHIP = 1.15, WAR = 6.3}, 2014 = {ERA = 3.43, WHIP = 1.10, WAR = 2.4}, 2015 = {ERA = 4.99, WHIP = 1.28, WAR = 0.1}, 2016 = {ERA = 5.87, WHIP = 1.46, WAR = -1.1}, and 2017 = {ERA = 6.41, WHIP = 1.59, WAR = -0.8})?

From WaPo: According to a person familiar with the deal, the Nationals will pay Sanchez $6 million in 2019, $7 million in 2020 and defer $6 million of the contract to 2021.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woz said:

• 2 months later...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-phillies-agree-to-record-breaking-330-million-free-agent-deal/ 

Arguably the best free agent of the last 18 years has a new team. Bryce Harper has agreed to a free agent contract with the Philadelphia PhilliesCBS Sports HQbaseball insider Jim Bowden confirmed on Thursday. Harper's deal is for 13 years and $330 million and features no opt-out clauses, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan. The deal is the largest in MLB history, breaking Giancarlo Stanton's record $325 million contract he signed with the Marlins in November of 2014. 

This is so stupid, if the reports about the Nats offer at 10 years, $300 mil at the beginning of the offseason is true, that's $30 mil per season.  He only got $330 over 13 years, or $25 mil per season.  The only thing this deal does is allow him to say biggest contract in history.  It is in fact, a worse deal than the Nats offered him.  

• Like 1

Oh well. I kinda set myself up for him leaving but it sucks that he went to a rival. He is what he is and it sucks to realize what kinda guy he actually is. It will be nice beating him every year with a younger, cheaper more talented roster than the Phillies. He’s going to get booed mercilessly when he comes back.