Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Philly fans whining about Nats fans booing Harper, just shut up. This isn’t about you nor does it have anything to do with you. This is about Nats fans and a guy who claimed this is where he wanted to be. Stay out of it. 

Or ask Jayson Werth about his reception in Philadelphia for years after he signed with Washington.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Woz said:

Or ask Jayson Werth about his reception in Philadelphia for years after he signed with Washington.

They’re on twitter claiming they cheered for him. Not to mention, it’s not even remotely the same thing. This is a guy we drafted, developed and spent the first 7 years of his career in the Nationals organization. Of course he was going to get booed going to Philadelphia. 

• Like 1

Bryce definitely deserved to get booed. Going to Philly is the worst of the worst for a good DC sports player. That's pretty much ultimate betrayal. Now, Bryce had every right to go there - he was a free agent - but still, it is what it is.

If these fans wanted to keep Harper, they should be booing the Lerner’s who gave him a contract offer they knew he wouldn't accept and in an unacceptable manner in-between a doubleheader. Then, the next offer they gave Bryce was I believe $80 million less and for less years.

GTFOH

It's pretty clear the Lerner’s are cheap. They're cheap on their managerial hires and on paying to keep their top talent. I expect the Nats to always be good but never great with them as their owners.

58 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Apparently letting your generational talent walk away isn’t a good idea after all....

Eh, I don't think Harper is a generational talent.

His home run came in mop-up duty. He struck out when facing big time pitchers in high leverage situations.

The bigger issue here is that the team has effectively given up on Martinez.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slateman said:

His home run came in mop-up duty. He struck out when facing big time pitchers in high leverage situations.

I’m just living in the moment. I think he was a damn good player for us but I understand why they let him walk. I kinda wish they didn’t but it’s a business. 

Martinez seems to really struggle with this job. They really should’ve just paid Bud Black what he was worth and I think we’d be fine right now. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I'm out on Davy. I  don't think he can motivate this team or manage them effectively. I'd rather can him early and create a spark then wait until June and we're already too far out of the race.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

They're late to the party. I gave up on him a long time ago. 

The team quit after the 2016 playoffs. Everything else has been auto pilot

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m just living in the moment. I think he was a damn good player for us but I understand why they let him walk. I kinda wish they didn’t but it’s a business. 

Martinez seems to really struggle with this job. They really should’ve just paid Bud Black what he was worth and I think we’d be fine right now. 

Black and Baker were completely interchangeable

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I'm out on Davy. I  don't think he can motivate this team or manage them effectively. I'd rather can him early and create a spark then wait until June and we're already too far out of the race.

Yep, he's done.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Is Kieboom the next in line to replace Trea at SS?

Unlikely. They're calling Sanchez up. Keiboom isn't ready to play defense at SS at the MLB level. Frankly, he may never be. But also, what's the point in starting his service clock? This season is done.

Just now, Slateman said:

Unlikely. They're calling Sanchez up. Keiboom isn't ready to play defense at SS at the MLB level. Frankly, he may never be. But also, what's the point in starting his service clock? This season is done.

Yeah, it's been a good baseball season, but time to shift back to hockey. 

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They’re on twitter claiming they cheered for him

That took all of 5 seconds to disprove.

From his last season

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/09/28/jayson-werth-booed-phillies-nationals/
https://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-jayson-werth-tribute-fans-boo-20170928.html

Quoted from the first article:

It doesn’t get more Philly than defiantly spitting in the face of someone showing an appreciation for you. But Werth deserves it. He does, I’m sorry. There was a lot of chatter earlier in the season about how Phillies fans should forgive and forget. Stop showering him with taunts of “Werthless” and instead clap for the 2008 World Series champ when he comes back to where his first career took off and blast a few home runs at our expense.

Nope, not the guy who left a perennial playoff-bound Phillies team for their division rival and a boatload of cash when pitcher Cliff Lee would agree to take less money ten days later for a Philadelphia reunion and another shot at the World Series (it pains me writing that now knowing what would go on to happen). In a sports literate town like Philadelphia, fans can clearly see that Werth made a “business” decision while Lee was driven by competition. (Not like he didn’t get paid, either.)

https://www.mcall.com/sports/ironpigs-phillies/mc-jayson-werth-phillies-boo-washington-nationals-20170511-story.html (May of 2017, lest you think it was just booing at his final game in Philadelphia)

Every time Jayson Werth steps to the plate in Philadelphia, since he left the city for Washington in December 2010, he hears a cascade of boos coming from the blue seats at Citizens Bank Park.

That winter, as a free agent, Werth did what almost any sane person would do in that situation. He went for the money – and gravitated toward what looked to be the better situation moving forward.
That's fine, as a parting gift, if the Philadelphia faithful wanted to let him know they weren't happy that he left town upon his first return to the city. But we're now seven seasons removed from Werth leaving. He's now played over 200 games more for the Nationals than the Phillies and to top it all off, the Phillies didn't seriously try to get him to return — their offer didn't come anywhere near the amount of years or money that he ended up getting from the Nationals. It's well past the time where the booing should have stopped. Yet they continue.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bryce returns, hits a home run and the Nats get blown out!

Turner gets hurt again, such is the life of a DC sports fan!

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Apparently letting your generational talent walk away isn’t a good idea after all....

While it hurts, it also is the first game. Let's see how it goes over a longer stretch.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If these fans wanted to keep Harper, they should be booing the Lerner’s who gave him a contract offer they knew he wouldn't accept and in an unacceptable manner in-between a doubleheader. Then, the next offer they gave Bryce was I believe $80 million less and for less years.

1. Why wouldn't he accept the first contract?
  2. If he wanted to come back (and Svluga's article implied that he did), why didn't he respond to the Nats for 3 months? Even a "hey, I'm still here, I want to come back?"
  3. Second offer was in January was $50M but two more years.

Harper and Boras wanted to test free agency but thought that they could come back at any time. The front office put an offer on the table, Harper never responded, so the Nats shrugged and assumed he was gone and then went about their business. Why is this all on their shoulders?

• Like 1