Jump to content

Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread


Recommended Posts

Drew Millas - A's 10th best prospect and was moving up the charts. Catcher. A seventh-round selection by the A’s in 2019, Millas entered the organization as arguably the top defensive college catcher in the nation. An elbow injury slowed him down in his first summer of pro ball, but Millas is now healthy again and gained some valuable experience by catching some bullpen sessions in big league camp this spring. 23 years old. Having a solid year in High-A ball.

Seth Shuman - Shuman, 23 years old, and at High-A, is a pitchability righty up to 94, with command of four serviceable pitches. STRONG year. 2.25 ERA. 1.05 WHIP. 4 to 1 SO/BB ratio. 

Richard Guasch - 21 year old, RHP. 4.67 ERA in High-A. At this point, I don't think he'll sniff the majors. Would need see some big changes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Drew Millas - A's 10th best prospect and was moving up the charts. Catcher. A seventh-round selection by the A’s in 2019, Millas entered the organization as arguably the top defensive college catcher in the nation. An elbow injury slowed him down in his first summer of pro ball, but Millas is now healthy again and gained some valuable experience by catching some bullpen sessions in big league camp this spring. 23 years old. Having a solid year in High-A ball.

Seth Shuman - Shuman, 23 years old, and at High-A, is a pitchability righty up to 94, with command of four serviceable pitches. STRONG year. 2.25 ERA. 1.05 WHIP. 4 to 1 SO/BB ratio. 

Richard Guasch - 21 year old, RHP. 4.67 ERA in High-A. At this point, I don't think he'll sniff the majors. Would need see some big changes. 

Awesome! Sounds good. I guess Gausch was more of a throw in, they must like something about him though. 🤷‍♂️ 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

This is awesome! 

Lane Thomas has been downright brutal at the plate the last two years. Smaller sample sizes. But I guess the potential (he put up nice #s his first year), coupled with the controllable contract, was the intrigue. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Lane Thomas has been downright brutal at the plate the last two years. Smaller sample sizes. But I guess the potential (he put up nice #s his first year), coupled with the controllable contract, was the intrigue. 

Yeah I saw that. As a rookie he showed promise but the last two years he’s be bad as you said. Regardless getting a young prospect who could start in the outfield or be our 4th OF for Lester is a great deal. I never thought we’d get anything of value back for Lester.

At 23 he batted .316, had 4 HRs, 12 RBIs, .409 OBP, .684 SLG in 38 ABs.

Hopefully he can recapture that form, they must think he can.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So I have to say that while I’ll never get over the Lerner’s trading away Turner & not paying to keep him, I am happy to see Kieboom get another shot & Luis Garcia get another shot to prove they belong to be the Nats starting 3rd baseman/SS & 2nd baseman going forward. 

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hope they make the most of this opportunity.

Garcia hit a home run last night and Kieboom was 2 for 3. I hope that continues.

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the full summary then? (positions taken from CBS Sports, ages and free agent status from Spotrac)

Outgoing
LHP/CL Brad Hand --> Toronto (31 y.o., free agent after 2021)
C Yan Gomes --> Oakland (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
INF Josh Harrison --> Oakland (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
RHP/CL Daniel Hudson --> San Diego (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
LHP/ST Jon Lester --> St. Louis (37 y.o., free agent after 2021)
RHP/ST Max Scherzer --> LA Dodgers (37 y.o., free agent after 2021)
OF Kyle Schwarber --> Boston (28 y.o., free agent after 2022 but has $11M mutual option for the 2022 season)
SS Trea Turner --> LA Dodgers (28 y.o., final arbitration year in 2022, free agent after that)

Incoming
C Riley Adams <-- Toronto
SS Jordy Barley <-- San Diego
OF Donovan Casey <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Gerardo Carrillo <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Josiah Gray <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Richard Guasch <-- Oakland
C/DH Drew Millas <-- Oakland
RHP Aldo Ramirez <-- Boston
C Keibert Ruiz <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Seth Shuman <-- Oakland
OF Lane Thomas <-- St. Louis
RHP Mason Thompson <-- San Diego

 

My thoughts: losing Turner hurts a lot, and I would have thought they might have wanted to hang onto Schwarber (even with him on the IL), but on the whole, this is something they should have done last year to be honest. Maybe not Scherzer and Turner, but the 2019 roster construction was basically not repeatable. We all can recite "19-32" until we are blue in the face but that was not the way you usually build for the long term. The Nats are headed for a down cycle, and instead of trying to eek out a win in the weakest division in baseball, they decided to look to the future. This is the other road traveled than going for the 7-9 victory. It's probably easier to accept doing this in baseball than in football because they have the minors and continue to develop this young talent.

As for their returns, I like the addition of the pitching arms, but not a single lefty? Also, I am a bit confused as to what they are going to do with three catchers in the minors. If Ruiz is the guy who all of the scouts think he is, are the other two just going to be trade chits?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nationals acquire Mason Thompson and Jordy Barley  

https://www.masnsports.com/masn-news-information/2021/07/nationals-acquire-mason-thompson-and-jordy-barley.html 

I think Jordy Barley can be our future SS. 
 

“Thompson, 23, is the No. 9 prospect in San Diego’s Minor League system, according to MLBPipeline.com and No. 15 per Baseball America. He is 4-3 with a 5.34 ERA in 24 games for Triple-A El Paso this season. Thompson has recorded 25 strikeouts and allowed eight walks in 28.2 innings of work.

The 6-foot-7, 223-pound right-hander made his Major League debut on June 22 at Los Angeles (NL). He went on to make four appearances out of San Diego’s bullpen, allowing one earned run on four hits with two strikeouts and one walk in 3.0 innings pitched.

Thompson spent the 2020 season at San Diego’s Alternate Training Site and was added to their 40-man roster following the season.

A native of Round Rock, TX, Thompson was selected in the third round of the 2016 First-Year Player Draft out of Round Rock (TX) High School and made his professional debut that season with the AZL Padres posting a 2.25 ERA (3 ER/12.0 IP) across five starts.

Barley, 21, hit .240 with eight doubles, two triples, eight homers, 28 RBI, 31 walks, 33 stolen bases and 43 runs scored in 61 games with Low-A Lake Elsinore this season. His 33 stolen bases led San Diego’s Minor League system and rank tied for eighth in all of Minor League Baseball.

The 6-foot, 175-pound infielder has hit .236 with 39 doubles, 16 triples, 24 home runs, 106 RBI, 79 walks, 66 stolen bases and 152 runs scored in 230 games across four professional seasons (2017-2021). In 2019, he led the Northwest League in triples (6th), ranked tied for second in hits (71), tied for third in runs scored (45), fourth in slugging percentage (.423), tied for fifth in home runs (8) and tied for sixth in OPS (.733).”

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Woz said:

Is this the full summary then? (positions taken from CBS Sports, ages and free agent status from Spotrac)

Outgoing
LHP/CL Brad Hand --> Toronto (31 y.o., free agent after 2021)
C Yan Gomes --> Oakland (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
INF Josh Harrison --> Oakland (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
RHP/CL Daniel Hudson --> San Diego (34 y.o., free agent after 2021)
LHP/ST Jon Lester --> St. Louis (37 y.o., free agent after 2021)
RHP/ST Max Scherzer --> LA Dodgers (37 y.o., free agent after 2021)
OF Kyle Schwarber --> Boston (28 y.o., free agent after 2022 but has $11M mutual option for the 2022 season)
SS Trea Turner --> LA Dodgers (28 y.o., final arbitration year in 2022, free agent after that)

Incoming
C Riley Adams <-- Toronto
SS Jordy Barley <-- San Diego
OF Donovan Casey <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Gerardo Carrillo <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Josiah Gray <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Richard Guasch <-- Oakland
C/DH Drew Millas <-- Oakland
RHP Aldo Ramirez <-- Boston
C Keibert Ruiz <-- LA Dodgers
RHP Seth Shuman <-- Oakland
OF Lane Thomas <-- St. Louis
RHP Mason Thompson <-- San Diego

 

My thoughts: losing Turner hurts a lot, and I would have thought they might have wanted to hang onto Schwarber (even with him on the IL), but on the whole, this is something they should have done last year to be honest. Maybe not Scherzer and Turner, but the 2019 roster construction was basically not repeatable. We all can recite "19-32" until we are blue in the face but that was not the way you usually build for the long term. The Nats are headed for a down cycle, and instead of trying to eek out a win in the weakest division in baseball, they decided to look to the future. This is the other road traveled than going for the 7-9 victory. It's probably easier to accept doing this in baseball than in football because they have the minors and continue to develop this young talent.

As for their returns, I like the addition of the pitching arms, but not a single lefty? Also, I am a bit confused as to what they are going to do with three catchers in the minors. If Ruiz is the guy who all of the scouts think he is, are the other two just going to be trade chits?

I think Ruiz could slide over to first base if necessary. Don’t forget, Harper was a catcher as well so I wouldn’t get too hung up on brining in three catchers.
 

The future really hinges on Cavalli, Gray and Rutledge. House won’t be up for probably 3-4 years. I absolutely hate trading Turner and I think the package we got from the Dodgers should’ve been for Turner alone but I trust Rizzo. He’s a great GM and I think he’ll have us competitive next year and a full blown championship contender by 2025. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nationals acquire Mason Thompson and Jordy Barley  

https://www.masnsports.com/masn-news-information/2021/07/nationals-acquire-mason-thompson-and-jordy-barley.html 

I think Jordy Barley can be our future SS. 
 

“Thompson, 23, is the No. 9 prospect in San Diego’s Minor League system, according to MLBPipeline.com and No. 15 per Baseball America. He is 4-3 with a 5.34 ERA in 24 games for Triple-A El Paso this season. Thompson has recorded 25 strikeouts and allowed eight walks in 28.2 innings of work.

The 6-foot-7, 223-pound right-hander made his Major League debut on June 22 at Los Angeles (NL). He went on to make four appearances out of San Diego’s bullpen, allowing one earned run on four hits with two strikeouts and one walk in 3.0 innings pitched.

Thompson spent the 2020 season at San Diego’s Alternate Training Site and was added to their 40-man roster following the season.

A native of Round Rock, TX, Thompson was selected in the third round of the 2016 First-Year Player Draft out of Round Rock (TX) High School and made his professional debut that season with the AZL Padres posting a 2.25 ERA (3 ER/12.0 IP) across five starts.

Barley, 21, hit .240 with eight doubles, two triples, eight homers, 28 RBI, 31 walks, 33 stolen bases and 43 runs scored in 61 games with Low-A Lake Elsinore this season. His 33 stolen bases led San Diego’s Minor League system and rank tied for eighth in all of Minor League Baseball.

The 6-foot, 175-pound infielder has hit .236 with 39 doubles, 16 triples, 24 home runs, 106 RBI, 79 walks, 66 stolen bases and 152 runs scored in 230 games across four professional seasons (2017-2021). In 2019, he led the Northwest League in triples (6th), ranked tied for second in hits (71), tied for third in runs scored (45), fourth in slugging percentage (.423), tied for fifth in home runs (8) and tied for sixth in OPS (.733).”

I would suspect Garcia is the future at SS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After taking some days to digest on it, I'm happy because it feels like its building blocks going forward. Still, I am going to worry about our better players at the end of their contracts because now we have this history of not renewing much for anyone with Stras being the outlier.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

After taking some days to digest on it, I'm happy because it feels like its building blocks going forward. Still, I am going to worry about our better players at the end of their contracts because now we have this history of not renewing much for anyone with Stras being the outlier.

We’ll Stras & Mr. National, Zimmerman.

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...