Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Bigger question is how long has he been dealing with it? Same for Kintzler.

I believe Davey said after the game it was the first he’s heard of both injuries, but that may or may not be true. Both guys may have been hiding their soreness from trainers and coaches.

52 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Am I the only one man-crushing on Justin Miller? I mean, this never happens to the Nationals. Most of the time, they're the victims of the unknown reliever who comes up and mows people down.

Put me in the cautiously optimistic category 

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Am I the only one man-crushing on Justin Miller? I mean, this never happens to the Nationals. Most of the time, they're the victims of the unknown reliever who comes up and mows people down.

I'm wondering if they move to using him and Hellickson (when he gets back) kind of like the Tampa tandem starter have going on.

Not a long term solution, but definitely works to chew innings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm wondering if they move to using him and Hellickson (when he gets back) kind of like the Tampa tandem starter have going on.

Not a long term solution, but definitely works to chew innings.

Then you burn Miller for a couple days. What Tampa is doing, they're doing out of desperation. They don't have starter that can go 4+ innings without getting shelled. It's not something I want to emulate in the regular season.

Now, if you want to talk about it in the playoffs, like having Gio start a game, then have Hellickson come in after him and that gets you to 5-6 innings, okay, that's a different topic.

Right now, the Nationals are focused on getting healthy and their timing back. And June is going to be tough. The Braves have a really easy schedule until the ASB, and the Nats are going to start playing guys who haven't really played in a month or two. Murphy and Zimmerman are going to struggle for a bit. Harper seems lost. Strasburg is going to be out until August is my guess. Kintzler has a forearm strain (who knows what that could mean). And the trade deadline is coming.

If the Nats can keep within 5 games of the Braves after the ASB, they can get healthy and start winning.

• Like 1

Question, does the emergence of Soto (if he continues to play well the rest of the year) and Robles mean that the Nats are more likely to let Harper go and instead of spending $300 to 400 million on just Harper, spread that money around on 2 or 3 starting pitchers?

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Then you burn Miller for a couple days. What Tampa is doing, they're doing out of desperation. They don't have starter that can go 4+ innings without getting shelled. It's not something I want to emulate in the regular season.

Given that they are now down both Hellickson and Strasburg, I think they might be in desperation territory. Nominally, Hellickson could come back today or tomorrow, but it might not be a bad idea/plan to assume you aren't going to get much out of him (3-4 innings tops) and Miller is going to have to do some heavy lifting.

57 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Question, does the emergence of Soto (if he continues to play well the rest of the year) and Robles mean that the Nats are more likely to let Harper go and instead of spending $300 to 400 million on just Harper, spread that money around on 2 or 3 starting pitchers?

Potentially. Soto's emergence at least removes the absolute necessity of signing, so the Nationals can negotiate on a more even field.

• Like 1