Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

Bryce is gone. This season will simply solidify it for him. It seems pretty clear he doesn't like it here. Unless he turns it around and mashes the second half, he's going to sign some one year, prove it deal somewhere else. Or some deal with a player opt out after the first season.

I still think you're right, that he's more likely leaving than staying. However, I'm not sure it's 100% but maybe 70-30.

Still, that could be wishful thinking on my part. Like @Jeezy Fanatic, I've made my peace with him going, but I agree with this statement as well:

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I've accepted BRyce is leaving. I was hoping though we'd at least get the benefit of a monster free agent year, but instead he's toying with the Mendoza line.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Take WAR for what you will  (and small sample sizes), but in 27 games Juan Soto has been more valuable than Bryce Harper in 71. Crazy.

Like I said, if the price gets too high, I will thank Bryce for his time here and wish him well (especially if he goes to an AL team) since we have both Soto (now) and Robles (in the wings).

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The pen was nasty? Eh, Paulsen and I disagree on what a nasty pen looks like.

Solis gave up a bunch of runs. Kelley walked a batter and gave up a hit. As a whole, they had two strikeouts. The pen was acceptable, but far from nasty.

Really want to know what's going on with Madson. Maybe his age finally caught up with him, but we can't trust him in high/medium leverage situations right now. He's walking too many batters. I'm just hoping Kintzler can fix what was going on with him and solidify the pen.

BTW, did anyone catch ARod's comments on Harper and breathing? And then the next at bat, he shows Harper exhaling through the swing. All I could think of was breathing through the eyelids.

Edited by Slateman

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Maybe. I thought that about the comeback against Atlanta where Uggla went off.

Well again, had it saved it, you would of. It didn't, so it doesn't matter, agreed.

I'm saying if we do come back this season, that will be one of the games I look at. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 9:07 AM, MikeT14 said:

That's one of those wins that you look back on during a season and point to as what saves it.

And then you go and have your two worst games of the year. Nice job Davey! Way to back MAT!

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

And then you go and have your two worst games of the year. Nice job Davey! Way to back MAT!

I won’t quite go to the extreme that Lavar went to but I have not been impressed by Davey. He’s young and I hope he grows more the second half of the year but this totally seems like Matt Williams all over in regards to a young manager who just isn’t ready for the job. Obviously, those two have different styles but still this season has not gone the way it should have.

That being said, once again the team is dealing with both Zimmerman & Strasburg’s injuries on top of Daniel Murphy missing the first two and a half months of the season and Adam Eaton missing about a month with his ankle flap thing.

I know it is an excuse, but it’s nearly impossible to win when 3 of your best hitters are out and you’re second best pitcher - who is ace material when healthy - is hurt again too and that certainly isn’t Davey’s fault.

Edited by turtle28

I'm not sure how you can say Martinez isn't ready. I mean, what is he supposed to do with half a line up and one decent starting pitcher? He's having to manage the pen starting in the second inning. He's having to deal with two guys were expecting to hit .320, unable to get to the .250 mark. Oh and your two big bench bats are both out, one for the whole season.

16 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I'm not sure how you can say Martinez isn't ready. I mean, what is he supposed to do with half a line up and one decent starting pitcher? He's having to manage the pen starting in the second inning. He's having to deal with two guys were expecting to hit .320, unable to get to the .250 mark. Oh and your two big bench bats are both out, one for the whole season.

I agree with your points, I just think he’s inexperienced. I’m a Dusty guy, I would have re-signed him.