Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I know small sample size and everything, but I’m concerned by the back of end of rotation and Eaton’s health

A.J. Cole was a big question mark coming into the season. So far ... returns have not been good.

Eaton, on the other hand ... those returns are a bit more enjoyable. That one is probably sample size. Still, they could call up one of the young kids should Eaton go down.

• Like 1

I’m more concerned that the Mets look amazing again because they are healthy like in 2015 rather than I’m concerned about the Nat’s dropping a few games in April.

Keep in mind, the Nat’s dont have Daniel Murphy back yet and he’s arguably their most consistent player.

Grant Paulson said not to worry about it, so obviously everything is fine! ? 

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Eh, whatever. If they're like this in mid-May, maybe we can talk about a problem.

What's your take on Michael A Taylor, I haven't looked into the metrics at all, he getting BABIP'd a bit or is he regressing back to 2014-2016 Michael A? He'll always be a guy who strikes out alot, but with the power he flashed last year and his good glove, I was hoping he could become an above average everyday player

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

What's your take on Michael A Taylor, I haven't looked into the metrics at all, he getting BABIP'd a bit or is he regressing back to 2014-2016 Michael A? He'll always be a guy who strikes out alot, but with the power he flashed last year and his good glove, I was hoping he could become an above average everyday player

He's BJ Upton/Chris Young.

Look I like him, but the idea that he's going to hit .270 every year is silly. He is what he is. If you have a stacked lineup, he'll get a lot of fastballs and he'll have some success. That plus his defense will be fine  in a lineup that has a bunch of very good hitters. But at the end of the day, he's a .245-.260 hitter with 15-20 home run power.

Honestly, he's someone I would have traded this offseason simply because his stock wouldn't get any higher. Particularly if someone like Yelich or Ozuna was on the table. Him and Goodwin are simply placeholders until Robles can play every day.

Edited by Slateman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I hate AJ Cole

What was the name of the pitcher they had last year that had tommy John? Oh that’s right, Ross.

Does anyone know when he’s expected to come back? I assume it’s sometime this summer. They need him back.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

He's BJ Upton/Chris Young.

Look I like him, but the idea that he's going to hit .270 every year is silly. He is what he is. If you have a stacked lineup, he'll get a lot of fastballs and he'll have some success. That plus his defense will be fine  in a lineup that has a bunch of very good hitters. But at the end of the day, he's a .245-.260 hitter with 15-20 home run power.

Honestly, he's someone I would have traded this offseason simply because his stock wouldn't get any higher. Particularly if someone like Yelich or Ozuna was on the table. Him and Goodwin are simply placeholders until Robles can play every day.

That’s a a good point. They should have done that, especially with Robles waiting in the wings and Eaton on the roster too.

They could have traded him for a #4/5 starting pitcher.

Edited by turtle28

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What was the name of the pitcher they had last year that had tommy John? Oh that’s right, Ross.

Does anyone know when he’s expected to come back? I assume it’s sometime this summer. They need him back.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6751/joe-ross

Nationals placed RHP Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list with a right elbow injury.
Ross underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last July and will miss the majority of the 2018 season. This move cleared out a 40-man roster spot for veteran reliever Joaquin Benoit, who was officially signed to a one-year, $1 million contract on Wednesday morning. Feb 21 - 10:42 AM

So, don't expect him back before the All Star break.

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They could have traded him for a #4/5 starting pitcher.

They could have signed a guy like Lance Lynn, who would be a #3 pitcher on most teams.

Twins signed RHP Lance Lynn to a one-year, $12 million contract.

The deal was reached over the weekend and it's now official. Lynn was aiming much higher at the start of the offseason, but the market worked in the Twins' favor and the club was smart to take advantage as they attempt to build off their surprise 2017 season. The 30-year-old Lynn owns a 3.38 career ERA and should remain relevant in mixed fantasy leagues with the move to the American League.

Mar 12 - 3:15 PM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He's currently on the 60 Day DL so who knows?

So, I don't think Rizzo believes in trading quality, young talent for 4/5 guys. Taylor, while starting a whole season, is probably a 3 WAR player and that's not something you trade away for someone you can sign to a one/two year deal. Taylor is someone that gets included in a package.

Even if Ross comes back this year, I think it's a lot to ask him to start. I think he's a reliever anyway, but who knows. Maybe last year was a fluke.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Slateman said:

So, I don't think Rizzo believes in trading quality, young talent for 4/5 guys. Taylor, while starting a whole season, is probably a 3 WAR player and that's not something you trade away for someone you can sign to a one/two year deal. Taylor is someone that gets included in a package.

Even if Ross comes back this year, I think it's a lot to ask him to start. I think he's a reliever anyway, but who knows. Maybe last year was a fluke.

I think Ross was developing fine as a back end of the roster starter, after his Tommy John though, it remains to be seen.

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

Which is fine ... except there were decent middle/back of the rotation options available as late as mid March. Guys who were better options than AJ Cole. Guys who would have allowed the Nationals to take it slowly with Joe Ross' recovery as opposed to worrying that they'll need to bring him back sooner to catch the Mets. As I said earlier, I felt this might be a repeat of 2015 when the Nats got out of the gate slow only to see the Mets rocket ahead and never be able to catch them.

• Like 1