Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

Speaking of Strasburg: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24450643/mlb-stephen-strasburg-rough-return-sends-red-flag

As concerning as Strasburg's final line was -- four innings, seven hits, five earned runs, two home runs -- perhaps even more alarming was his velocity. Of the 39 fastballs he threw against the Phillies, not a single one reached the 95.99 mph that his heater had averaged in his first 14 outings this year. The nine fastballs that he delivered in his fourth and final frame on Wednesday averaged 92.2 mph, almost four full ticks slower than his season average. The velo drop was so uncharacteristic for Strasburg that the stadium scoreboard misidentified at least one of his off-tempo fastballs as a changeup.

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

Damn, awful. He really has to figure out this neck/shoulder/nerve weakness issue and strengthen that area. This has been two y WRs in a row he’s dealt with this - at least I think it’s the same thing - if he doesn’t get it solved it could be the end.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Slateman said:

540 million .... sweet Jesus. Like if that's the asking price, I don't see how he signs with anyone for less than 40 million per year

Even at $300M, I'm thinking I would be okay with Robles, Soto, and Eaton/Taylor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I have to agree with this. Eaton's health makes me question it,  but committing that much to Harper forces the team into trading for a top flight starting pitcher.

I would be perfectly comfortable with Robles, Soto, and Taylor as my outfield. Need some bench/relief outfielders in this case, but I think it could work.

Pitching is going to be a problem (beyond Scherzer and (maybe) Strasburg):

• Tanner Roark = 32 when the 2019 season begins (birthday = Oct 5), last year of arbitration, becomes a UFA after 2019 at 33
  • Jeremy Hellickson = 32 in 2019, UFA ... I don't care if it is for a half-eaten, rotten ham sandwich ... don't bother with him
  • Joe Ross: is he back to form? He's gotten two starts in this season (penciled in to start on Friday at Colorado). In 2019, he'll enter the first of his three arbitration years (I have to think it won't be that much given how little he's played over the past 18 months, but still)
  • And then the young guys
    • Erick Fedde: yeah ... I don't think he's ever going to be more than middle relief.
    • Jefry Rodriguez: Eh, probably needs more seasoning. If he came out of training camp as a starter, either he had a spectacular camp or woof.
    • Austin Voth: okay, maybe.
    • Kyle McGowin and Jimmy Cordero: who? (maybe called up after I tuned out)

Problem is that none of them are lefties. Heck, lefties in general are in short supply in the bullpen as well.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I would be perfectly comfortable with Robles, Soto, and Taylor as my outfield. Need some bench/relief outfielders in this case, but I think it could work.

Pitching is going to be a problem (beyond Scherzer and (maybe) Strasburg):

• Tanner Roark = 32 when the 2019 season begins (birthday = Oct 5), last year of arbitration, becomes a UFA after 2019 at 33
  • Jeremy Hellickson = 32 in 2019, UFA ... I don't care if it is for a half-eaten, rotten ham sandwich ... don't bother with him
  • Joe Ross: is he back to form? He's gotten two starts in this season (penciled in to start on Friday at Colorado). In 2019, he'll enter the first of his three arbitration years (I have to think it won't be that much given how little he's played over the past 18 months, but still)
  • And then the young guys
    • Erick Fedde: yeah ... I don't think he's ever going to be more than middle relief.
    • Jefry Rodriguez: Eh, probably needs more seasoning. If he came out of training camp as a starter, either he had a spectacular camp or woof.
    • Austin Voth: okay, maybe.
    • Kyle McGowin and Jimmy Cordero: who? (maybe called up after I tuned out)

Problem is that none of them are lefties. Heck, lefties in general are in short supply in the bullpen as well.

The team needs at least two starting pitchers during the offseason. And, frankly, one of them has to be able to take Strasburg's slot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1045272258531471361

540 million .... sweet Jesus. Like if that's the asking price, I don't see how he signs with anyone for less than 40 million per year

I doubt he gets that, especially after he only had an average year for his standards. Sadly, last night was his season in a microcosm.

Harper goes 0-4 in probably his last game in a nationals uniform while his replacement Victor Robles had a 4-for-5 day with 5 RBI and a 3-run homer and electrified the place.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I doubt he gets that, especially after he only had an average year for his standards. Sadly, last night was his season in a microcosm.

Harper goes 0-4 in probably his last game in a nationals uniform while his replacement Victor Robles had a 4-for-5 day with 5 RBI and a 3-run homer and electrified the place.

And that means what? Harper hit nearly 40 bombs and had 100RBIs in what is considered a down season but Robles having a good game makes a former MVP who is 26-years old expendable? And I don’t really understand how that’s an “average” season but whatever. 

You can re-sign Harper and have a Robles, Soto, Harper outfield and then deal away Eaton and Taylor (who sucks by the way) and get a good pitcher in return. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

And that means what? Harper hit nearly 40 bombs and had 100RBIs in what is considered a down season but Robles having a good game makes a former MVP who is 26-years old expendable? And I don’t really understand how that’s an “average” season but whatever. 

You can re-sign Harper and have a Robles, Soto, Harper outfield and then deal away Eaton and Taylor (who sucks by the way) and get a good pitcher in return. 

Key words, “for his standards.” You're cherrypicking Bryce’s good stats. He only batted .244 this season and left a lot of players on base.

The question remains, can we re-sign Harper, and how much will it cost? And, is that worth it?Also, the question remains, did his idiot agent overplay his market too much in Dec of 2016 so now the Lerner’s aren’t even interested in retaining him?

Im no Boris fan, in fact I loathe the guy. 

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You can do this, and maybe even get the pitcher you claim (I'm dubious, but I've been wrong before).

The problem is what do you do going forward? If Harper is going to get that monster contract, that's going to limit the Nats ability to go out and fill the rest of the roster because they will be in the luxury tax bracket. Again, I said they need three new starting pitchers. Let's assume that they are able to get your good pitcher in return and roll with Roark and Ross (dicey given Ross's injury, but let's go with it).

Roark will be a 32 year old, unrestricted free agent after the 2019 season. Do they re-sign him again? If not, who do they replace him with? Fedde? Rodriguez? Cordero? Voth? McGowin? The farm system is a bit thin on pitchers. That's why the Nats spent 7 (8?) of the their top ten picks on pitchers this past draft.

• Like 1