Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

20 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Grace hasn't been a setup lefty for a while. They use him as long relief at this point. Honestly, finding a guy to replace him shouldn't be that hard.

Sorry, I was being a bit misleading with my words there.

I was trying to differentiate Grace's roll in the pen (setup, inning eater) from a closer like Doolittle (who is also a lefty). Lefty pitchers are harder to find just because of the nature of genetics. They command more in return compensation too.

22 minutes ago, Slateman said:

In all honesty, there's probably three relievers that "need to go."

Just three?

22 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The problem is that there's no replacement for them.

Probably not. :(

23 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Rizzo won't part with Keiboom and the Lerners won't go over the luxury tax.

Eh, I'm not sure about the former. I could see him moving Keiboom if the right guy is available. I just don't know if such a person is out there though.

Will Smith or Tony Watson (from the Giants, 30 and 34 respectively)? Felipe Vazquez or Francisco Liriano (from the Pirates, 28 and 35 respectively)? Brad Hand (from the Indians, 29 ... but would he accept being a setup man?)? Jake Diekman (from the Royals ... 32 and yeep!)? There's not a lot out there, and the ones you might want are going to be expensive.

Also, in looking at ESPN's targets who could be moved, there was a brief moment where I envisioned the Nats trading for Greinke (*). I came back to reality quite quickly, but it was a wonderful dream of having a guy like Anibal Sanchez as their #5 with such a monstrously powerful set of guys in front of them.

See? I'm not immune from fansanity. It happens to everyone.

Incidentally, these target articles are amusing to read when you see when they were written and compare how things look to today.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837235-potential-2019-trade-deadline-packages-for-mlbs-top-20-targets 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2835811-mlb-trade-deadline-2019-predicting-the-biggest-names-wholl-be-up-for-grabs

(*) For the record, even though he's thought to be available, I don't get the same nutty swooning for Madison Bumgarner. I don't know why, especially considering Bumgarner's six years younger. It makes no sense (neither does Greinke). Then again, none of that pipe dream does.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Is Venters hurt and I missed it? He's a lefty. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-jonny-venters-out-with-undisclosed-injury/

Venters landed on the 10-day injured list with an undisclosed injury Thursday.

The assignment was made retroactive to Monday, so Venters will be eligible to return as soon as next Thursday. The veteran has had a rough time this season when healthy, allowing 16 runs (11 earned) in eight innings of work while posting a walk rate of 20.4 percent between Atlanta and Washington, so the Nationals may not be looking to rush him back.

So, yes, he's injured. There's also the question whether he really helps if he's healthy.

52 minutes ago, Woz said:

Sorry, I was being a bit misleading with my words there.

I was trying to differentiate Grace's roll in the pen (setup, inning eater) from a closer like Doolittle (who is also a lefty). Lefty pitchers are harder to find just because of the nature of genetics. They command more in return compensation too.

Just three?

Probably not. :(

Eh, I'm not sure about the former. I could see him moving Keiboom if the right guy is available. I just don't know if such a person is out there though.

Will Smith or Tony Watson (from the Giants, 30 and 34 respectively)? Felipe Vazquez or Francisco Liriano (from the Pirates, 28 and 35 respectively)? Brad Hand (from the Indians, 29 ... but would he accept being a setup man?)? Jake Diekman (from the Royals ... 32 and yeep!)? There's not a lot out there, and the ones you might want are going to be expensive.

Also, in looking at ESPN's targets who could be moved, there was a brief moment where I envisioned the Nats trading for Greinke (*). I came back to reality quite quickly, but it was a wonderful dream of having a guy like Anibal Sanchez as their #5 with such a monstrously powerful set of guys in front of them.

See? I'm not immune from fansanity. It happens to everyone.

Incidentally, these target articles are amusing to read when you see when they were written and compare how things look to today.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837235-potential-2019-trade-deadline-packages-for-mlbs-top-20-targets 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2835811-mlb-trade-deadline-2019-predicting-the-biggest-names-wholl-be-up-for-grabs

(*) For the record, even though he's thought to be available, I don't get the same nutty swooning for Madison Bumgarner. I don't know why, especially considering Bumgarner's six years younger. It makes no sense (neither does Greinke). Then again, none of that pipe dream does.

At this point I would keep Doolittle, Rodney, Guerra, Rainey, and Suero. Maybe Sipp, depending on how well he does against lefties from now until the deadline. So I need at least two relievers, preferably high leverage guys.

I wouldn't move Keiboom for any relieve or any combination of relievers. The only way I move Keiboom is for a significant piece or pieces. So like Stroman and Giles, and then I work out a deal where I flip Stroman to the Yankees for Kanhle, Florial, and [insert pitching prospect(s) here]. Then I'd flip Giles to someone like Minnesota for some prospects and use those prospects to get another reliever (like Smith). So a potential trade would look like this:

• Keiboom and Joe Ross to the Blue Jays for Marcus Stroman and Ken Giles
  • Stroman to the Yankees for Tommy Kanhle or Chad Green, Estevan Florial, and Jonathan Loaisiga or Albert Abreu.
  • Flip Ken Giles to the Twins or Cardinals for Luis Rijo or Blake Enloy and Akil Baddo/Griffin Roberts and Dylan Carlson
  • Trade Luis Garcia, Enloy/Roberts, and Luis Garcia and another piece for Will Smith

But I'm certainly not parting with him for rentals. And there are too many teams still "in it" for it to become a buyers' market. So whoever gets traded is either going to cost a lot of money or significant prospect value.

Edited by Slateman

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Fair, but I like him over Grace at the moment :P

Understandable.

I will be curious if this statement holds up in two-to-four weeks time, though. There's a reason why he was available.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

And there are too many teams still "in it" for it to become a buyers' market. So whoever gets traded is either going to cost a lot of money or significant prospect value.

And I unfortunately agree with you regarding the market conditions (too many teams think they're still alive).

Got to say, the multiple flip move like that would be impressive if any team (not just the Nationals) could pull it off. I suppose it's possible this year since the waiver trade deadline is gone, so this is the only chance for teams to buy/sell.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I unfortunately agree with you regarding the market conditions (too many teams think they're still alive).

Got to say, the multiple flip move like that would be impressive if any team (not just the Nationals) could pull it off. I suppose it's possible this year since the waiver trade deadline is gone, so this is the only chance for teams to buy/sell.

Yes. At any time, that deal could go wrong. Hardest part would be moving Giles.

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Yes. At any time, that deal could go wrong. Hardest part would be moving Giles.

I would be interested to see a team try. Perhaps not the Nats (due to the potential of it blowing up midstream), but it would be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Would you consider buying out Soto's arbitration years now with a longterm deal, and save money down the road?

Eh ... I'd rather they focus on Rendon right now. Maybe next year? One major deal at a time.

20 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Would you consider buying out Soto's arbitration years now with a longterm deal, and save money down the road?

If I'm the Nats, sure. If I'm Soto, why bother?

8 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

When people criticize Davy’s bullpen use, this should be example “A”

What exactly do you want to criticize? What is he supposed to do with a garbage pen?

• Like 1