Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

HUGE SERIES INCOMING (should have swept the O's, but whatever, lol Davey and Bullpen). If we can go 3-1 vs the Braves, we'll be much closer to their rearview mirror. 1-3 and they pull away and leave use fighting for WC. It's a long season, but pencil this one in as one you have to look back to. 

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

If I'm the Nats, sure. If I'm Soto, why bother?

What exactly do you want to criticize? What is he supposed to do with a garbage pen?

66 pitch Erik Fedde who's cruising after 6 innings, to bring in a pen who promptly gives up like 7 runs. Not great.

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

66 pitch Erik Fedde who's cruising after 6 innings, to bring in a pen who promptly gives up like 7 runs. Not great.

Fedde gets lit up the third time through the order. His pitch count is irrelevant. Mancini had just taken him deep.

The problem is that there is no one who can pitch the 7th or 8th inning in a close game.

34 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Fedde gets lit up the third time through the order. His pitch count is irrelevant. Mancini had just taken him deep.

The problem is that there is no one who can pitch the 7th or 8th inning in a close game.

Mancini took him deep in the 4th, and he'd been 1-2-3 through the order the last 2 innings. That's a bad call by Davy.

DOn't disagree the bullpen sucks though.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Mancini took him deep in the 4th, and he'd been 1-2-3 through the order the last 2 innings. That's a bad call by Davy.

DOn't disagree the bullpen sucks though.

So do you manage by stats or by feeling?  

Because everything the Rays do went out the window when Cash managed by feeling and ran Yarbrough out in the ninth last Sunday and blew a combined perfect game.  Every other situation there, the Rays have switched to another pitcher to close out the game.  

What the other poster said about Fedde getting lit up the third time through the order, again, do you manage by stats or feeling?  He was rolling, and heading into an important series against the Braves, I wouldn't waste my bullpen unless I had to against the Orioles.  Let Fedde go, see what he can do the third time against a subpar lineup, instead of doing it against the Braves or another good team.  

There is no perfect answer.  

On 7/18/2019 at 7:39 AM, Slateman said:

If I'm the Nats, sure. If I'm Soto, why bother?

What exactly do you want to criticize? What is he supposed to do with a garbage pen?

I blame the Lerner’s. They don’t want to spend the money on the bullpen and that’s why the bullpen sucks. Although, Rizzo has made a few signings that backfired. Anyway you look at it, it’s hard to blame Davey much at all, he’s trying to piece together a reputable pen - and has done so lately - with mostly spare parts. 

Just remember: out of the break

@ Philadelphia (3 games) - 0.522 2-1 / went 2-1
@ Baltimore (2 games) - 0.303 2-0 / went 1-1
@ Atlanta (4 games) - 0.593 2-2 / went 2-2
v Colorado (4 games) - 0.494 2-2 / TBD
v LA Dodgers (3 games) - 0.652 1-2 / TBD
v Atlanta (3 games) - 0.593 1-2 / TBD
[non-waiver trade deadline]

Let's assume that? 10-9, but you wouldn't gain any ground on the Braves most likely. Still that would probably be an okay outcome. 

5-4 so far at the "halfway point" of this. On "pace".

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Just remember: out of the break

@ Philadelphia (3 games) - 0.522 2-1 / went 2-1
@ Baltimore (2 games) - 0.303 2-0 / went 1-1
@ Atlanta (4 games) - 0.593 2-2 / went 2-2
v Colorado (4 games) - 0.494 2-2 / TBD
v LA Dodgers (3 games) - 0.652 1-2 / TBD
v Atlanta (3 games) - 0.593 1-2 / TBD
[non-waiver trade deadline]

5-4 so far at the "halfway point" of this. On "pace".

Kind of need to go 3-1 with the Rockies now.