Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hearing the Nationals have been tied to Mychal Givens of the Orioles in trade rumors.  Is there any chance that these two teams who hate each other can come to a deal?  And if so, who do the Nationals have to offer?

Given the bad blood between the two teams, I would be very surprised that a trade would be completed.

In fact, unless something has changed in the past one or two years and I missed it, the Orioles and Nationals have never completed a trade.

Nope, still haven't yet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-nationals-and-orioles-have-never-agreed-to-a-trade-now-is-a-good-time-to-change-that/2019/07/16/580605cc-a81e-11e9-86dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html

Some more facts: According to data compiled by Baseball-Reference.com, every team in baseball has traded with every other team in baseball since that last Orioles-Nats/Expos deal except for two: St. Louis and Pittsburgh. (Yes, that Jason Christiansen-for-Jack Wilson swap was way back in the summer of 2000.)

Think about what that means. The Red Sox and Yankees have been trade partners (Kelly Johnson to Boston for Stephen Drew in the summer of 2014). The Cardinals and Cubs have been trade partners (Jeff Fassero to St. Louis for a pair of players to be named later in 2002). The Giants and Dodgers have been trade partners (Mark Sweeney to Los Angeles for a player to be named later in 2007). Baseball’s biggest rivals have managed to make trades while the O’s and Nats haven’t. That seems like more than a coincidence.

(the Orioles/Nats-Expos deal referenced occurred in 2001 sending Tim Raines to Baltimore so he could play with his son)

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

We did claim Pedro Severino, but I think that was a waiver claim and NOT an actual trade despite being DFA'd.  

Yeah, the Nats let him go. What the Orioles have gotten out of Severino this year is what the Nats had been hoping for/expecting for four years.

15 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Good win in the first part of the double header. Bullpen gives up 0 ER in 5 IP.

And kept it going. Nice to see. Still need to make a trade or two before next week. Let's get the four game broom today, Max!

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

And kept it going. Nice to see. Still need to make a trade or two before next week.

Thanks to the Royals (are you doing okay, @Marcus21?), the Nats are now fully engaged in "buy mode."

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Let's get the four game broom today, Max!

That would be extra special nice when I'm at the game today. Eating a smothered half smoke because today is National Chili Cheese Dog Day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Thanks to the Royals (are you doing okay, @Marcus21?), the Nats are now fully engaged in "buy mode."

That would be extra special nice when I'm at the game today. Eating a smothered half smoke because today is National Chili Cheese Dog Day.

That sounds fantastic, what stand sells that?  I'm due for a few games at the end of the month- the Corbin bobblehead, and at least one of the Orioles games- so I'd like a different place to eat than my usuals.  

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Davey Martinez lol

16 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Threw this one away

Got to ask: who is worse at managing late game scenarios amongst current DC sports coaches, Gruden or Martinez?

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That sounds fantastic, what stand sells that?  I'm due for a few games at the end of the month- the Corbin bobblehead, and at least one of the Orioles games- so I'd like a different place to eat than my usuals.  

Ben's Chili Bowl.

However, I discovered that there is an even bigger chili dog can be had at the Red Porch Inn. With a side of fries thrown in.

• Like 1