Jump to content

Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread


Recommended Posts

One interesting little tidbit that was relayed from Grant & Danny last week:

They played a snippet of an MLB.tv interview with Washington's international scout. The interviewers asked the scout "who is the one who got away?"

The scout replied that he had a verbal agreement with this one prospect. At the eleventh hour, the prospect demanded more money. They passed and the prospect signed elsewhere.

That prospect?

Ronald Acuna Jr.

 

Think about that for a second. For what, maybe $500k-$1m more, they could have an outfield of Robles - Acuna - Soto. And Giolito (since you wouldn't have traded for Eaton). AND possibly the money to sign both Strasburg and Rendon since they wouldn't have paid big bucks for Corbin.

Oh what could have been.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lerner’s are cheap. If the Nationals miss the playoffs next year, it's their fault. I call BS on them saying they couldn't afford to re-sign Rendon. They just didn't want to spend the $ to do so. Instead, the once again offer a lot of deferred $ to a superstar. If the continue this business model for as long as they own this franchise they aren't going to keep the likes of Turner or Soto either! Ugh 

I’m so disappointed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Actually, we could have kept Harper and flipped Robles and Giolito for Sale. The White Sox wanted Robles in the Sale negotiations.

I think I would prefer it my way: let Harper walk and have a young, power hitting outfield along with a 1-2-3 rotation that most teams would dream of ... and a power hitting, Gold Glove 3rd baseman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Woz said:

I think I would prefer it my way: let Harper walk and have a young, power hitting outfield along with a 1-2-3 rotation that most teams would dream of ... and a power hitting, Gold Glove 3rd baseman.

I dont think Rendon was ever staying. Not his kind of town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Woz said:

I disagree, but we'll never know.

If you read some of his comments with the Angels and about the WH visit, it's pretty clear: https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-12-14/angels-anthony-rendon-why-skipped-trump-nationals-white-house-visit

Wanted to go to the WH but didn't want to hurt his free agency stock. Was trying to play golf with Trump. I don't think he was comfortable in this town. I mean, of all the LA teams, he went to the most conservative one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, turtle28 said:

Lerner’s are cheap. If the Nationals miss the playoffs next year, it's their fault. I call BS on them saying they couldn't afford to re-sign Rendon. They just didn't want to spend the $ to do so. Instead, the once again offer a lot of deferred $ to a superstar. If the continue this business model for as long as they own this franchise they aren't going to keep the likes of Turner or Soto either! Ugh 

I’m so disappointed!

I’m seriously sad to see tony 2 bags leave. But I’ve said if I have to pick 3 or the 4 I want at all cost Turner Soto and Robles/ Kieboom. Tony was worth every penny was the MVP this year the numbers and production all season and playoffs don’t lie. I think LA was always his choice outside of the return to Texas but I think he just wants that California sunset to go with that huge payday he was gonna get.

As far as deferred money I do believe it’s smarter for some guys maybe in a city like DC or LA or some places because higher figures mean higher taxes. While I know these players aren’t thinking about that but it is gonna cost us guys. And the Lerners are cheap!!!! They want to get the intrest off that money as long as they can. They are the richest owners in the sport and their franchise is worth huge money compared to the figure they bought it at.

but my main concern going forward is locking up Turner Soto and Robles. These guys are the future and it’s very bright as long as we don’t mess around with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, turtle28 said:

Lerner’s are cheap. If the Nationals miss the playoffs next year, it's their fault. I call BS on them saying they couldn't afford to re-sign Rendon. They just didn't want to spend the $ to do so. Instead, the once again offer a lot of deferred $ to a superstar. If the continue this business model for as long as they own this franchise they aren't going to keep the likes of Turner or Soto either! Ugh 

I’m so disappointed!

They are quite reserved about spending their money, but they went from 8th in payroll in 2015 to 15th in payroll in 2016 to 6th in 2017 to staying 5th in 2018 to 7th last year. They spend money. This market isn't Boston or LA or NY. It is what it is. Spending the money on Rendon after paying Strasburg, Corbin, Scherzer, etc just wasn't going to happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 11:29 AM, ripsean21 said:

I’m seriously sad to see tony 2 bags leave. But I’ve said if I have to pick 3 or the 4 I want at all cost Turner Soto and Robles/ Kieboom. Tony was worth every penny was the MVP this year the numbers and production all season and playoffs don’t lie. I think LA was always his choice outside of the return to Texas but I think he just wants that California sunset to go with that huge payday he was gonna get.

As far as deferred money I do believe it’s smarter for some guys maybe in a city like DC or LA or some places because higher figures mean higher taxes. While I know these players aren’t thinking about that but it is gonna cost us guys. And the Lerners are cheap!!!! They want to get the intrest off that money as long as they can. They are the richest owners in the sport and their franchise is worth huge money compared to the figure they bought it at.

but my main concern going forward is locking up Turner Soto and Robles. These guys are the future and it’s very bright as long as we don’t mess around with them.

Lerner's are not cheap bud.  They usually have a payroll in the upper echelons of MLB, and that's with them deferring money.  They have deep roots in the international market (costs money), analytics (costs money) and development (costs money.) 

You mention a couple guys you want to keep.  Turner hits FA in 3-4 years and likely commands at least $100 million.  Soto is going to be one of the best in the game, and you are looking at $400 million plus by the time he hits FA.  If Robles and Kieboom are who their prospect power says they are, they are going to be expensive as well.  You can't have everyone, and with how the Nationals defer money, that also affects payroll in future seasons as well, when you've got to pay those guys above.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Lerner's are not cheap bud.  They usually have a payroll in the upper echelons of MLB, and that's with them deferring money.  They have deep roots in the international market (costs money), analytics (costs money) and development (costs money.) 

You mention a couple guys you want to keep.  Turner hits FA in 3-4 years and likely commands at least $100 million.  Soto is going to be one of the best in the game, and you are looking at $400 million plus by the time he hits FA.  If Robles and Kieboom are who their prospect power says they are, they are going to be expensive as well.  You can't have everyone, and with how the Nationals defer money, that also affects payroll in future seasons as well, when you've got to pay those guys above.  

Then what do you call it when their insistence on offering deferred money drives players away? 

We specifically let Harper walk to re-sign Rendon. And when the time came, all we heard from the Lerners was that payroll was tapped and they couldn't afford to sign Rendon and Strasburg. And honestly,  that's crap. 

The Lerners insisted in deferred money in both deals. They overpaid for Scherzer, Corbin, and Strasburg because of the deferred money. But they've also lost Harper and Rendon because of deferred money, and are struggling to convince Donaldson to come play here on deferred money.

Maybe it's not being cheap so much as being greedy. They're using the deferred money to pay off some of the salary. And in some aspects, that's fine. But when it costs you a guy who just finished top 3 in MVP voting and was one of the most important pieces in your postseason, it's not fine anymore.

The team has doubled in value, has the richest owners in baseball, has made plenty of money the last five years, and is facing a huge revenue increase in the wake of a WS win. Theres no reason to be doing this nonsense with deferred money anymore.

 

And given the way they've treated their last two premium position players, there's no chance that they re-sign Turner and Soto. It's pretty unlikely they re-sign/extend either of them at this point.

Edited by Slateman
Link to post
Share on other sites

So... Is Donaldson going to sign or are a combination of Stalin Castro, Howie Kendrick/Cabrera & Tyler Keiboom going to be the Nats starting 3rd baseman next year? 

Castro did play in 162 games last year and batted .270 last year with 22 homers. So, he's good, but not great.

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...