Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Where does howie play if we got Zim back

Howie will remain a utility infielder - which he has been since we signed him what, 4 years ago and give the starters rest - every once in a while. Howie has never been a full-time starter for us, but the good thing about him is he can play 1st, 2nd & 3rd, so he'll get time.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Howie will remain a utility infielder - which he has been since we signed him what, 4 years ago and give the starters rest - every once in a while. Howie has never been a full-time starter for us, but the good thing about him is he can play 1st, 2nd & 3rd, so he'll get time.

They need to get similar production out of him as last year. He needs to start 75ish games, and play in about 120 of them. Maybe never start him back to back, but his bat is crucial in the lineup, especially without Rendon. 

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Okay, but Howie needs to probably play close to every day. I'm pretty sure Castro will be the every day 2nd baseman, no reason not to be. Cabrera at third. Howie is a pretty bad defensive liability anywhere, so you really want to limit him outside of first base. I think using 3 players on first baseman primarily would be a mistake. 

On 1/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, Slateman said:

They need to get similar production out of him as last year. He needs to start 75ish games, and play in about 120 of them. Maybe never start him back to back, but his bat is crucial in the lineup, especially without Rendon. 

Yes, I know, but keep in mind that Castro doesn't have a bad bat. So, while he's obviously not Rendon, its not like we won't have a 3rd baseman who can’t hit. Also, I know this is a crazy unrealistic expectation but of they do re-sign Zimm, maybe he stays healthy enough to play 100-120 games and so again, losing Rendon isn't as big a deal as it could've been.

Edited by turtle28

21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, but Howie needs to probably play close to every day. I'm pretty sure Castro will be the every day 2nd baseman, no reason not to be. Cabrera at third. Howie is a pretty bad defensive liability anywhere, so you really want to limit him outside of first base. I think using 3 players on first baseman primarily would be a mistake. 

We can not play Howie close to every game, he needs to play 80 to 100. We need to manage him in case we make the playoffs. Early in the year he definitely needs to play every other game, if we are in a race for the playoffs then, play him more at the end of August and in September. Also, Cabrera wouldn't play at 1st often - if ever - that's a last resort of there are a lot of injures like last year.

Man, I don't like having Cabrera start most games, we can’t rely on him. I forgot that Dozier just signed a one year deal last year. We need to either re-sign Dozier to play 2nd w/ Castro at 3rd IMO or preferably re-sign Zimmerman to start at first and hope he can play 100-120 games.

We do have Kieboom too tough, I hope he shows well in spring training, makes the roster as the backup SS & 3rd baseman or even wins the 3rd base job.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We can not play Howie close to every game, he needs to play 80 to 100. We need to manage him in case we make the playoffs. Early in the year he definitely needs to play every other game, if we are in a race for the playoffs then, play him more at the end of August and in September. Also, Cabrera wouldn't play at 1st often - if ever - that's a last resort of there are a lot of injures like last year.

Man, I don't like having Cabrera start most games, we can’t rely on him. I forgot that Dozier just signed a one year deal last year. We need to either re-sign Dozier to play 2nd w/ Castro at 3rd IMO or preferably re-sign Zimmerman to start at first and hope he can play 100-120 games.

We do have Kieboom too tough, I hope he shows well in spring training, makes the roster as the backup SS & 3rd baseman or even wins the 3rd base job.

If Howie's bat is anything like last year... how do you not? What is your alternative? We have to somewhat replace Rendon's production. You want to cut 20+ to 40 games from Howie?

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If Howie's bat is anything like last year... how do you not? What is your alternative? We have to somewhat replace Rendon's production. You want to cut 20+ to 40 games from Howie?

I didn’t realize Howie played 121, I thought it was more like 100, that’s my bad for not looking it up first. The only reason Howie made it through the season mostly last year was bc he played in 121 games. I think that’s the mark we should be looking for with him and I hope we re-sign Zimmerman back to 1st base, even if he is 50/50 health wise, we need his bat too.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not going to be upset if Zimm comes back. The exact opposite. I just wonder if it is the best use of a spot. 

The way I see it is that he and Thames can pretty much split the workload so hopefully that helps Zimmerman stay healthy. Kind of like we did with Howie last year and will again this year.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, I know, but keep in mind that Castro doesn't have a bad bat. So, while he's obviously not Rendon, its not like we won't have a 3rd baseman who can’t hit. Also, I know this is a crazy unrealistic expectation but of they do re-sign Zimm, maybe he stays healthy enough to play 100-120 games and so again, losing Rendon isn't as big a deal as it could've been.

Castro has an average bat. For a second baseman.