Leisher's 2019 Mock offseason 2-28-19, Draft added at 1620pm.

jleisher

I am sure some of you have been depressed that I haven't mocked for a longer time then normal, but, I am back.  This is a two part mock, first will be the offseason leading up to the draft.  I will be posting my mock later tonight if possible.  My cap numbers and contract figures have been provided by Overthecap.com, so if you have issues, sorry, deal with it.  :D!!!!

2019 cap is at $37,785,685 (again, that's the number overthecap provided).  Gute gets down to business and releases numerous players.  The axe falls on the following players, Nick Perry, TWill, Kapri Bibbs, Trevor Davis, Antonio Morrison, Cole Madison (FMLA last only one year in real life, no signs that he wants to play, so let's move on and wish him well), Tim Boyle, Will Redmond, James Looney, Natrell Jameson, Tra Carson, James Crawford (thought he was already gone, but not on there list) and Allen Lazard.  Cap saved, $14,347,834,  New 2019 Cap space number is $52,133,519.

Cap $52,133,519

Before the NFL season starts on March 15th, Gute has been talking with the Steelers for AB and the Chiefs on Houston.  All teams just can't seem to reach any agreements and the Packers lose out.  AB is dealt to the Seahawks and Houston is shipped to 49ers.

March 15th is here, Gute is on the phones at 11:59pm with sites on two main targets.  Shaquill Barrett and Za'Daruis Smith both edge players.  Packers reach agreements with both.

180606_barrett_headShaquill Barrett Edge 4yrs/$8m per year with 10% guaranteed, 2019 cap hit is $5.6m

Smith_Za'DariusZa'Daruis Smith  Edge 4yrs/$9m per year with 15% guaranteed, 2019 cap hit is $6.3m

Gute tries to resign two of his only players as well, offers 1yr/$5m to Muhammad Wilkerson and a 2yr/$6m with 10% guaranteed to Bashaud Breeland.  Wilkerson rejects the offer, but Breeland accepts.

Gute has secured the edge position for 4 years and has added depth to CB position with Breeland.#26 - CB Bashaud Breeland

Cap after day #1  $35,433,519

Day #2, Gute is on a roll, reaches out to four players.  Golden Tate, Adam Humphries, Earl Thomas and TWill.  Gute reaches agreements with two of the four players.

Humphries_AdamAdam Humphries WR 3yrs/$8m with 15% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $6m

Thomas_EarlEarl Thomas S  2yrs/$9m with 10% guaranteed.  Cowboys go a younger route at S with Tra Boston.  2019 cap hit is $7.2m

2019 Cap space after day #2 is $22,233,519

Day #6,  Gute notices one key big name player hasn't been signed yet and one of his middle range targets is still out there.  Gute makes is happen.

This is a 2015 photo of Le'Veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of May 27th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Le'Veon Bell RB  (Over weight and out of shape, Packers get a deal.)  4yrs/$13m with 40% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $9.1m

Williams_MaxxMaxx Williams TE (Not much of a receiver, but blocking is solid.)  3yrs/$5m 10% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $3.75m

Gute reaches out to TWill again and no luck.  Gute decides it's time to move on without TWill.

2019 Cap space after day #6 is $9,383,519

Day #12, Gute picks up a serviceable veteran G and resigns one of his own.

This is a 2017 photo of A.J. Cann of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL football team. This image reflects the Jacksonville Jaguars active roster as of Wednesday, June 14, 2017 when this image was taken. (AP Photo)AJ Cann G  2yrs/$5m 10% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $4m l

#39 - S Ibraheim CampbellIbraheim Campbell S  2yrs/$4m no guarantees.  2019 cap hit $1.5m

Final 2019 cap space is $3,883,519

ERFA's resigned:

#16 - WR Jake KumerowJake Kumerow WR 

#62 - G <forge-entity title="Lucas Patrick" slug="lucas-patrick" code="player">Lucas Patrick</forge-entity>Lucas Patrick IOL

#64 - G <forge-entity title="Justin McCray" slug="justin-mccray" code="player">Justin McCray</forge-entity>Justin McCray G/T

#81 - WR <forge-entity title="Geronimo Allison" slug="geronimo-allison" code="player">Geronimo Allison</forge-entity>Geroniamo Allison WR

2019 Packers Draft:

3 QB's are selected before #12, this causes some key players to drop.  Setting at #12 is Devin White ILB LSU, Ed Oliver DL Houston and TJ Hockenson TE Iowa.

#12.  Ed Oliver NFL

Scouting Report: Ed Oliver

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s 2019 Mock Draft

School: Houston Position: Defensive Tackle Class: Junior Height: 6-3 Weight: 290 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

NFL ready for some time now, Oliver possesses all of the 1 gap defensive skills that teams are looking for and that they value very highly in the draft. Farily well polished prospect that uses a nice array of pass rush skills. Could play in any system in various positions.  (This give the Packers a front 3 of Daniels, Clark and Oliver)

Gute's and friends watch as the selections are made, one key target is slipping down, down, down and then it's our selection.

#30.  

T.J. Hockenson NFL

Scouting Report: T.J. Hockenson

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Iowa Position: Tight End Class: Sophomore Height: 6-5 Weight: 245 Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:

One of the best, if not the best run blocking tight end prospect. Sets his feet quickly, and doesn’t lose balance when shuffling right to left back or forward while blocking. Gets his hands locked and is relentless with his blocking assignment through the whistle. Able to find defenders to block at the next level in space as well, and takes good angles to seal off running lanes. As the season progressed, showed off remarkable ability to catch the ball as well, making him one of the most well rounded tight end prospects in the draft.  (Hockenson comes in to Green Bay as advertised.  Beats out Graham for the #1 spot leaving Gute with the problem of how or what to do with Graham?)

#44.  Another Packer favorite drops in the draft.

Nasir Adderley NFL

Scouting Report: Nasir Adderley

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Delaware Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 200 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Profoundly well rounded defensive back that excels in all major skills needed to play the safety position at the next level. Covers the deep field well, and is able to recognize plays quickly and get to the receiver decisively and by taking sound angles. Ferocious tackler and gets off of blocks with authority getting to the ball carrier. Has shown no weakness in covering either small, shifty receivers or big bodied tight ends and bigger receivers.  (Comes in and learns from Thomas, replaces Thomas as starter in 2021, maybe 2020.)

#75.  Need to protect Rodgers.

david-edwards-wisconsin.jpeg?zoom=0.9024

Scouting Report: David Edwards

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: David Edwards Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Junior Height: 6-7 Weight: 315 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Big, strong, and plays well in pass protection and against the run. Most of his experience is at RT and that’s likely where he will play at the next level. Long arms that NFL coaches covet on the offensive line and elite hands. Has the strength to move defenders off the line. Has a balanced approach which helps him avoid missed blocks and is also a very effective 2nd level blocker.  (Learns behind Bulaga, T swing this year, but if Bulaga goes down starting RT.)

#114.  Gute's added his edge rushers, now he looks to strengthen the ILB spot with Martinez and Burks.

Terrill Hanks NFL

Scouting Report: Terrill Hanks

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: New Mexico State Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6’2 Weight: 235 Projected Draft Round: 4-7

Scouting Report:

Coverage linebacker that works best in space and when able to roam. Physical and willing tackler, but still a work in progress regarding his read and react skills. Could play as inside in a 3-4 as the inside linebacker that waits for the play to develop, but needs a complimentary inside linebacker that can control the gaps, as that his not his strength. Rangy and quick enough to play as a weakside 4-3 linebacker, or even a hybrid linebacker safety type in some defenses.  (Teams with Martinez and gives the Packers what they thought they would get from Burks.)

#118.  Again, protect Rodgers.  Added Cann G in FA and drafted Thomas T, now let's add to the talent.

Martez-Ivy-OG-Florida.jpg?zoom=0.9024999

Scouting Report: Martez Ivey

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Florida Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 306 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Plays at LT for Florida but probably better suited for RT or Guard at the NFL level. Has a high football IQ and reads the defensive movement well. Strong base and locks on to defenders with excellent use of hands. Excels in run support; a real road grader.  (Could come in and challenge Cann for the RG or push Taylor at the LG spot from day 1, if not, adds depth to the G and T positions.)

#150.  Gute has added Thomas, Campbell, Adderley to the Safety position, let's add to the talent.

Lukas-Denis-S-Boston-College.jpg?zoom=0.

Scouting Report: Lukas Denis

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Boston College Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 185 Projected Draft Round: 4-6

Scouting Report:

Great instincts and plays with precision. Plays well over the top in coverage, with better than average hands to haul in interception opportunities. Lack of size is an issue in against the run.  (Thomas and Campbell the starters, Adderley and Denis in training.  Still could add RFA Brice to the group at the last minute.)

#185.  Need to add talent to WR position, added Humphries so let's add to that.  This player screams Packer to me.

Keeland Doss, WR, UC Davis

January 23, 2019 DraftBlaster 2019 NFL Draft 0

Scouting Report: Keeland Doss

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: UC Davis Position: Wide Receiver Class: Senior Height: 6’3 Weight: 206 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Out of the box ready to play NFL type receiver that runs exceptional routes and understands the subtle aspects of the passing game. Burner for a big man, and can create separation by running past defenders, and wins contested balls. Hits the ball at its highest point and fights for every catch. Very mature, and has superb character and leadership skills.  (Beats out Moore and Kumerow for the last spot.  Adams, Allison, MVS, ESB, Humphries and Doss.  Have a wild card for the #7 spot.)

#194.  Depth and ST pick here.

Ben Burr-Kirven NFL

Scouting Report: Ben Burr-Kirven

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 222 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Elite athleticism and uses his burst to generate power via momentum. A tackling machine that quickly diagnoses plays and uses a rare explosiveness to punish ball carriers and receivers. Takes good angles, and rarely misses tackles. Able to cover sideline to sideline and not a liability in coverage. Position at the next level could be anywhere from off the ball linebacker to nickel safety to hybrid safety/OLB.  (Can play ILB, Edge and S.  Depth at the LB position and adds speed to ST unit.)

#226.  Yeah, Gute cut Boyle.

Gardner Minshew II NFL

Scouting Report: Gardner Minshew II

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington State Position: Quarterback Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 215 Projected Draft Round: 5-7

Scouting Report:

An East Carolina transfer, Minshew has thrived in the wide open spread system at Washington State. Best with passes on the perimeter, and timing and anticipation throws. Shuffles well in the pocket and does a good job of gliding back up in the pocket when under duress to hit his launch point rather than bailing out. Needs to work on touch on passes over the middle and over defenders. Very good, but not elite arm strength, but very good ball velocity.  (Seems to be more of a fit in the new system then Boyle.)

UDFA's   (Key)

GayMatt.jpg

Matt Gay K Utah

ParhamDonald.jpg

Donald Parham TE Stetson (#3 TE behind Hockenson and Williams.)

GhaifanY.jpg

Youhanna Ghaifan DL Wyoming

PollardTony.jpg

Tony Pollard RB/RS  (This is my wild card, instead of having 7 WR, Pollard is signed to handle KR and PR only.)

AdamsPaul.jpg

Paul Adams T Missouri

CrosbyMaxx.jpg

Maxx Crosby Edge E. Michigan

BarsAlex.jpg

Alex Bar G/T Notre Dame

McSorleyTrace.jpg

Trace McSorley QB/RB/WR Penn St.

JohnsonChris.jpg

Chris Johnson S N. Alabama

With Hockenson coming in and beating out Graham for the #1 job, Gute decides that $12,666,666 is to much for a #2 TE.  Graham is released in pre-season giving him time to sign with another team.  2019 cap space is now $9,216,851.  Gives Gute some playing room to add a veteran if needed.

Thank you and good night Wisconsin!!!!!

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Tim Boyle, Will Redmond, James Looney, Natrell Jameson, Tra Carson, James Crawford (thought he was already gone, but not on there list) and Allen Lazard.  Cap saved, $14,347,834

What is the point of cutting players that are making league minimum in salary for the 2019 season?   The net gain in cap space after your sign a player that is the equivalent to get to an appropriate number of players for training camp is next to nothing.

12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't even know why I'm asking, but is this supposed to be a realistic off-season, or just a pipe dream?

You couldn't get all this done on Fantasy Island! I actually like the draft but this free agency fantasy is quite funny. Not to mention he hadn't left enough money to sign our rookies after the free agency portion of this deal. 

You know, I honestly thought since you took more time in between your last mock and this mock that there was a chance you were putting in research behind price tags, you were going to drop new names in your mock draft (I swear Keelan Doss has been in every single one of your mocks) but boy was I wrong.

4 hours ago, jleisher said:

March 15th is here, Gute is on the phones at 11:59pm with sites on two main targets.  Shaquill Barrett and Za'Daruis Smith both edge players.  Packers reach agreements with both.

180606_barrett_headShaquill Barrett Edge 4yrs/$8m per year with 10% guaranteed, 2019 cap hit is $5.6m

Smith_Za'DariusZa'Daruis Smith  Edge 4yrs/$9m per year with 15% guaranteed, 2019 cap hit is $6.3m

Gute tries to resign two of his only players as well, offers 1yr/$5m to Muhammad Wilkerson and a 2yr/$6m with 10% guaranteed to Bashaud Breeland.  Wilkerson rejects the offer, but Breeland accepts.

Gute has secured the edge position for 4 years and has added depth to CB position with Breeland.#26 - CB Bashaud Breeland

Cap after day #1  $35,433,519

Day #2, Gute is on a roll, reaches out to four players.  Golden Tate, Adam Humphries, Earl Thomas and TWill.  Gute reaches agreements with two of the four players.

Humphries_AdamAdam Humphries WR 3yrs/$8m with 15% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $6m

Thomas_EarlEarl Thomas S  2yrs/$9m with 10% guaranteed.  Cowboys go a younger route at S with Tra Boston.  2019 cap hit is $7.2m

2019 Cap space after day #2 is $22,233,519

Day #6,  Gute notices one key big name player hasn't been signed yet and one of his middle range targets is still out there.  Gute makes is happen.

This is a 2015 photo of Le'Veon Bell of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of May 27th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Le'Veon Bell RB  (Over weight and out of shape, Packers get a deal.)  4yrs/$13m with 40% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $9.1m

Williams_MaxxMaxx Williams TE (Not much of a receiver, but blocking is solid.)  3yrs/$5m 10% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $3.75m

Gute reaches out to TWill again and no luck.  Gute decides it's time to move on without TWill.

2019 Cap space after day #6 is $9,383,519

Day #12, Gute picks up a serviceable veteran G and resigns one of his own.

This is a 2017 photo of A.J. Cann of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL football team. This image reflects the Jacksonville Jaguars active roster as of Wednesday, June 14, 2017 when this image was taken. (AP Photo)AJ Cann G  2yrs/$5m 10% guaranteed.  2019 cap hit is $4m l

#39 - S Ibraheim CampbellIbraheim Campbell S  2yrs/$4m no guarantees.  2019 cap hit $1.5m

Final 2019 cap space is $3,883,519

7 outside FA for GB?

Leaving $3.8M for the 10 draft picks....when GB needs more than that to sign their picks.  Somewhere around $5M to sign the draft picks after you do a net cost of draft pick salary minus the lower salaried player on the roster for accounting purposes.  

Packers
Total Picks (10)
Round 1 - #12
Round 1 - #30
Round 2 - #44
Round 3 - #75
Round 4 - #114
Round 4 - #118
Round 5 - #150
Round 6 - #185
Round 6 - #194
Round 7 - #226
$10,353,422

4 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I don't know why I continue to look at your mocks.  I know better before I open the thread but for some reason I just can't help myself.  Must be the whole can't look away from a train wreck thing.

I know the feeling.

Isnt there a website that predicts FA salaries? Sport tracktrax or something.

Your FA signings need to be increased 50% to 100%. Throws everything off. Not sure why you do these, but realism should be the goal. This one is within a breath of "first I would invent a machine to clone Reggie White . . ."

A very good draft though that seems plausible - though I think Hock will be gone by #20.

Archived