My 53 Man Roster Projection and Analysis (Offense)

CWood21

7 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

There's too much talent at WR for us lol. Allison, Janis, and Davis are all locks imo. Comes down to McCaffrey, Yancey and Dupre for the 7th WR.  It really doesn't matter who makes the 53 if we keep a 7th, they won't see the field in the regular season barring injuries, except maybe special teams. 

The Packers have Geronimo Allison on the suspended list, so that temporarily opens up a WR spot for Week 1.

McCaffrey is pretty athletic: 36.5" vert, 10'2 broad, 4.36 40 (probably more like a 4.41-4.42). Geronimo wasn't a draft pick investmnet either, so if Max keeps showing the improvement in route running why wouldn't you keep that guy?

On 8/28/2017 at 2:45 AM, CWood21 said:

I'm not really sure McCaffrey makes the roster.  He doesn't have the draft pick tied to him that will keep Ted invested in him, and IMO he's not clearly one of our top WR.

This frustrates me. We've generally done better with our UDFA's than our latter round picks over the past few years. I don't doubt McCaffrey is pretty low on the totem pole, but he's healthier, he has more reps in the system, and he has a better report with our QB's. Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

This frustrates me.

Don't let it. Some fans will use the draft pick thing as a pejorative, but if you think about it makes sense

The Packers invest millions of dollars and thousands and thousands of hours scouting these guys - of course they'd rather keep the draft picks. They had them rated higher than the UDFAs on their board. If they didn't favor draft picks over UDFAs,  then that's an indictment of the scouts and the entire system.

The Packers have also shown a willingness to keep, coach and play UDFA's - perhaps more than any other NFL team. That's why priority UDFAs come to Titletown, because they know they have a decent shot to make it. McCaffreys' Dad and brother both played in the league, its not a coincidence that he chose GB.

Gotta take the long view and decide what is the upside is for each of these WRs. If McCaffrey was awesome in TC, so what ? What's his ceiling ? How do they fit, can we get 'em on the PS ? If McCaffrey is considered the better guy in the Big Picture, they'll find a way to keep him. Also noted is that McCaffrey is a slot guy, while the late draft picks seem like boundary WRs. They might not be competing for the same spots on the roster. And if GB really is thinking about moving on from Cobb in 2018, then finding a replacement carries some additional weight at cutdown time.

6 hours ago, Joe said:

This frustrates me. We've generally done better with our UDFA's than our latter round picks over the past few years. I don't doubt McCaffrey is pretty low on the totem pole, but he's healthier, he has more reps in the system, and he has a better report with our QB's. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with what Max has done. And he's some everything he's been asked, has definitely progressed. But giving up the lotto ticket of Dupre or something for a guy I see as a league 3/4...

Dupre might be junk. But I feel like you can find a Max pretty easily if ya lose him.

To be honest, it's a good problem to have at least.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Don't let it. Some fans will use the draft pick thing as a pejorative, but if you think about it makes sense

The Packers invest millions of dollars and thousands and thousands of hours scouting these guys - of course they'd rather keep the draft picks. They had them rated higher than the UDFAs on their board. If they didn't favor draft picks over UDFAs,  then that's an indictment of the scouts and the entire system.

The Packers have also shown a willingness to keep, coach and play UDFA's - perhaps more than any other NFL team. That's why priority UDFAs come to Titletown, because they know they have a decent shot to make it. McCaffreys' Dad and brother both played in the league, its not a coincidence that he chose GB.

Gotta take the long view and decide what is the upside is for each of these WRs. If McCaffrey was awesome in TC, so what ? What's his ceiling ? How do they fit, can we get 'em on the PS ? If McCaffrey is considered the better guy in the Big Picture, they'll find a way to keep him. Also noted is that McCaffrey is a slot guy, while the late draft picks seem like boundary WRs. They might not be competing for the same spots on the roster. And if GB really is thinking about moving on from Cobb in 2018, then finding a replacement carries some additional weight at cutdown time.

holy **** this is a good post.

Do you think he's a slot only? I feel alone not thinking that.

53 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

holy **** this is a good post.

Do you think he's a slot only? I feel alone not thinking that.

Thank- you kind sir

I don't know anything, but I like to read a lot

“At 6-2, 200 pounds, Max is effective working the middle of the field and makes it difficult for defensive backs to bring him down by running behind his pads” - Chad Reuter

“He is looking to carve out a role as a possession receiver when he hits the next level” -  Gil Brandt

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/03/young-packers-quarterbacks-compete-over-wr-max-mccaffrey/537148001/

"His ability to find pockets in the middle of the field has produced the kind of intermediate receptions patented by Jordy Nelson when he manned the slot last season."  McCaffrey (6-2, 196 pounds) has found success with short and intermediate routes that allow him to use his change-of-direction ability and quickness. McCaffrey’s agility in close quarters has left cornerbacks a step behind on crossing routes and created throwing lanes in front of linebackers and safeties

A respected poster here at FF commented on his slot-ness as well

Randall Cobb raved about him and MM wants “ Big Men running down the middle of the field” ( 6-2, 200)

Here he is lining up in the slot vs broncos

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I mean, it's not unheard of.  Why do you think 1st round picks get more shots than players are UDFA?  They have more invested into them, and more tying them to the franchise.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head on this one.  What is Max McCaffrey's upside?  I don't think he's a boundary receivers, and quite frankly the older that Jordy Nelson gets, the more I think he gets relegated into the slot WR role.  I just don't see McCaffrey having enough upside to justify keeping him over say Yancey/Davis.

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

After today's move, we're now ready for your swing at the defensive roster projection....

I know some have Biegel slated for PUP,  but that dude needs reps and practice and he can't do either on PUP

Would keep him on the roster. He returned to practice this week.  Scratch that lol. But ya I agree he needs to practice, don't you have to wait up to 6-8 weeks to practice for PUP or something?

Archived