Trading the 10th Pick

Royal_VT

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Would we say a year later that this was definitely the right decision? I am indifferent personally, but would this option be better than moving down 3 picks and selecting Roquan Smith? Or moving back further and taking Derwin James? (Let's ignore the QB stuff for once ...)

I just feel that the best teams don't get hooked on one guy (that isn't a QB); there are always a multitude of top quality players available in the 1st round of the draft, so why not get more picks and move back a bit?

It's not an exact science but I wouldn't mind giving it a go for a change.

I get the logic and think it can be a valuable move, if done correctly.  Maybe Denver did have a deal where they could’ve moved back to #8, but I don’t recall it.

Last year the reported deal in place had Chubb not been there at #5 was with Buffalo for #12, #22, and #53.  Obviously a heck of a haul.

With hindsight being 20/20 we can look back at all kinds of scenarios and see how valuable that trade could’ve been, but in the moment and in actuality it can go terribly wrong if you’re not hitting on those picks.

Further, just my opinion, I don’t think Elway would’ve taken James at #12, he’s always been a BPA at a position of need guy and safety didn’t seem to be a concern, even with the trade back I think it would’ve resulted in a pretty similar draft to what actually happened, as again, Elway doesn’t draft on pure BPA.

I could’ve seen.

#12: Marcus Davenport

#22: Sutton/Ridley/Moore (reportedly Denver had Sutton as the best or 2nd best WR on their board and with a 1st round grade)

#40: Kerryon Johnson/Donte Jackson

#53: Donte Jackson/Royce Freeman

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Albert Breer is reporting that both the Texans (23rd pick) and Panthers (16th pick) are both looking to trade up.

Again it all depends on who is available at 10 - I wouldn't want to trade back if someone like Oliver or Devin White are there. But perhaps trading back and being able to nab Devin Bush (unlikely at 23) or Drew Lock would be good. Here is what I think we could expect if either of those two were to trade up to pick 10.

Texans (have picks 1.23, and two second rounders) 1.10 <> 1.23, 2.54, 2020 2nd?

Panthers (have picks 1.16, 2.47, 3.77, 3.100) 1.10 <> 1.16, 2.47?

31 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Albert Breer is reporting that both the Texans (23rd pick) and Panthers (16th pick) are both looking to trade up.

Again it all depends on who is available at 10 - I wouldn't want to trade back if someone like Oliver or Devin White are there. But perhaps trading back and being able to nab Devin Bush (unlikely at 23) or Drew Lock would be good. Here is what I think we could expect if either of those two were to trade up to pick 10.

I’d rather take the Panthers option.  Moving back 6 and picking up an extra 2nd sounds really appealing 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

The Texans trade is great ...for Denver. 2020 2nd round would be between 300 and 500 pts over.

The Panthers trade is good but at 1.11 Bengals want a QB and at 1.15 Redskins too.

So the 10th pick would be Lock or Haskins. Devin white would be gone at 5 and Bush is no longer a Top10.

Forget Oliver, Gary. Top 10 sure thing.

If both QBs are gone i say YES to trade back few spot and stock 1 2nd round and 1 4th round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

The Texans trade is great ...for Denver. 2020 2nd round would be between 300 and 500 pts over.

The Panthers trade is good but at 1.11 Bengals want a QB and at 1.15 Redskins too.

So the 10th pick would be Lock or Haskins. Devin white would be gone at 5 and Bush is no longer a Top10.

If both QBs are gone i say YES to trade back few spot and stock 1 2nd round and 1 4th round.

Gary has a shoulder issue, I could see him falling.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-draft-prospect-rashan-gary-has-flagged-shoulder-will-likely-need-to-be-managed-in-2019/

2 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

FWIW, I've been pointing out that the only way a trade back makes sense is if there's a huge demand for an elite position - which didn't seem likely 2-3 months ago.  Crazy how much QB need drives the league.   

Given that Haskins is the only QB I think has a legit Rd1 skill set of who's likely there (and could well be gone if the NYG rumors are all smoke screen to prevent teams from trying to leap frog them), if we aren't going QB and aren't sold on the guy, it's great in theory.  I would absolutely floored if CAR wants to move up, though - nothing says they have 1 guy they're that much in love with, and their need / BPA doesn't seem to scream pay-a-mint and move up to 1.10.    WAS certainly makes a ton of sense, as does MIA.   HOU makes sense if the T's fall and HOU gets nervous - they need an elite, difference-making OL, and if they think that LT is there, they may bite - Dillard's the guy I'm thinking of.  Really, if it's not a QB, then an EDGE or maybe LT (although that line of thinking is fading) are the only guys ppl usually trade up for, and it's much rarer than QB's.  

I agree that Gary's report of a torn labrum is likely going to make him fall hard.   

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

If Haskins is still there the dolphins are a potential trade partner as well, something like #10 (1300) for #13 (1150) + #78 (200). 

The Dolphins aren't taking a QB this year, their beat guys have flat out reported they're going to tank the season and take one next year.

With Harris demands 15m/y or trade why not:

Arizona get Harris +1.10 from Denver + Miami 3rd

Miami get 1.1 from Arizona + denver 2rd 2020

Denver get 1.13 from Miami + Miami 1st in 2020 + Arizona 3rd

We get 1 more pick and potential great pick in 2020 for futur QB and only drop 3 spots in this draft

I pick Harris to be same as 1.15 but i am not sure

6 hours ago, French Fan said:

With Harris demands 15m/y or trade why not:

Arizona get Harris +1.10 from Denver + Miami 3rd

Miami get 1.1 from Arizona + denver 2rd 2020

Denver get 1.13 from Miami + Miami 1st in 2020 + Arizona 3rd

We get 1 more pick and potential great pick in 2020 for futur QB and only drop 3 spots in this draft

I pick Harris to be same as 1.15 but i am not sure

That’s not happening. And Harris isn’t worth a first. We need to put our orange and blue tinted goggles aside. 

42 minutes ago, Counselor said:

That’s not happening. And Harris isn’t worth a first. We need to put our orange and blue tinted goggles aside. 

I don’t think it’s realistic to think we can get a 2019 1st.  Our best bet to get a high pick is to be in a situation where a contender has no other options.  That’s post-draft.  

Even a 2020 late 1st would be a coup - especially if P-Pete and Xavien Howard are available.    My dream scenario is a team like CLE or IND giving up their 2020 1st confident it will be mid late 20’s and even then we might have to give back a 3rd (a 2nd gets iffy because it might only end up a 10-15 spot up).    But that also only happens if they don’t have cheaper options for true difference makers like P-Pete or even Howard (not as good as other 2 but if he’s cheaper to trade for...well you get the idea).

The only times a 1st gets traded for an older guy is when there are no alternatives and the buyer is literally only 1 guy away    It’s why I’d rather Elway hold off if there isn’t a great offer for 2019.   Realistically the only teams who would consider dealing for CHJ with 2019 drat picks likely offer a 2nd (SF/IND being best case).   Present year picks are valued do highly I think targeting 2020 makes better sense to the highest round - but that would require Elway to wait until 2020 to see a return.  To me that’s the risk - Elway’s win now mode could make him take a lesser 2019 value round wise to get help sooner (which to me is a fallacy if you aren’t a legit contender and the fact that Day 2+ picks almost always have a much greater impact from year 2 onwards).

One key point that’s being missed in general talk elsewhere - CHJ having to report by early August (or the service time clock doesn’t count for 2019 and DEN would then have him under contract again for 8.8M for 2020) does mean there is no legit holdout risk.   This is a crucial difference than with teams who had franchise tagged guys holding out.   Elway can afford to wait this out if there isn’t a great offer.  Our best offer might not be better than a 2nd in 2020 but at least he doesn’t have to feel under the gun.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2