Got to be honest

Warhorse

I didn't have a chance to watch the game as I was working. I did, however, catch it on YTube. In a nutshell, I am amazed at the lack of fan knowledge. I watch several Colt boards and the sheer number of uninformed, spoiled, millennial posts demanding stupid crap about firing coaches, cutting players, and other garbage (a favorite millennial word), inspired me to create a thread. I realize that most of those exist other than here, but this is my only place of choice to speak, so please, dont take it personally. This is merely my venting. 

Tolzien was the better QB. The argument that Morris is better is simply not true. He moved the ball against the Steelers #1's....on the road... Pagano had the team ready, guys executed..period. My advice? Have some patience, gain some perspective, and mostly......grow a damn spine. Teams aren't built over night...and this team had a very bare cupboard. After reading some of these whiny &*^% posts on .com and other sites..., I expected an embarrassing view. I saw nearly the opposite. 

Or....continue to watch the world through a phone, whine incessantly, and continue to believe your complaining....or "being real"....actually does anything other than make yourself feel better. Todays fan is just self indulgent bitching....period. Here is a novel concept.....back your team. 

Just caught up with the game.

Not too much to say really. Tolzien was certainly the better QB last night. He looked better than he has so far which is good to see. Still worried about when the regular season starts though if he will be good enough to run our offence. All the best to him as I imagine he'll be the starter but the sooner Andrew Luck comes back the better.

I can imagine the frustration some Colts fans are feeling. We've had plenty of frustration the last couple of seasons, especially during Grigson's tenure as GM. Think a lot of fans are worried about how bad this season could actually be and dependent on the status of the aforementioned player above it could be a pretty bad one. I remain optimistic that Luck will not be out for too long and we can achieve at least a .500 season, though I can see why some fans are not in that boat.

Should Pagano be fired? No. I think he's done a more than capable job given the circumstances however Irsay pulled the trigger on Grigson and Chuck must fear he's on the hot seat. A poor season and I can certainly see Irsay making changes, maybe even before the season has finished.

The fact is we're struggling right now. Our franchise QB is injured with no confirmation of when he is return. Our O-Line is currently only patched together with both Kelly and Schwenke out, and our defence will get better but its not there yet. So yes it's not great right now but I think we will get better and hopefully everyone will pull in the same direction when people can see this happening.

I also didn't get a chance to watch the game and I'm not sure I will.

From just a small spattering of highlights I heard about

Mattias Farley had a really good game, a sack and a couple batted passes. Game MVP.  I feel a little better about Clayton  Geathers absence for at least 6 games. 

The offensive line played well, Tolzien was only sacked once and hit a couple times. Can't say if that was the addition of Schwenke or not cause I don't know how much or if he played. I just now watched a Frank Gore run on the Colts website with 2:00 mins left in the 1Q and Bond was at center at that point. 

Tackling still appears to be an issue. We put a great deal of emphasis this offseason on creating turnovers and that has come to fruition. Im hoping one day we get that together too 

All in all progress looks like it is being made. Tolzien's best game last year was also against Pittsburgh, even though we lost that game (that wasn't Tolzien's fault).

I still have reservations about whether or not Pagano will keep his job passed this year but if we finish with 7+ wins with Luck missing a few games again and players showing progression then it no one can put blame on Pagano. 

4 hours ago, PFM18 said:

I can imagine the frustration some Colts fans are feeling. We've had plenty of frustration the last couple of seasons, especially during Grigson's tenure as GM. Think a lot of fans are worried about how bad this season could actually be and dependent on the status of the aforementioned player above it could be a pretty bad one. I remain optimistic that Luck will not be out for too long and we can achieve at least a .500 season, though I can see why some fans are not in that boat.

Thanks for the response, I agreed with most of what you wrote....and I quoted the part I wanted to respond back to. As I said....many fans could gain some perspective....which is meant as.... we have never had a losing season since Luck was drafted. Just because a fan thought we should have been better by now, is not really perspective. Drafting in the top ten for several seasons in a row will give a fan perspective. I could say that Jaguar or Browns fans have perspective...but I would have to actually say current Jag & Browns fans have perspective because as soon as their team starts winning the division...new fans will jump on board. and when they start to falter? You bet....the biggest whining will come from those new fans who felt they deserved more from their team because they...drum roll....have no perspective. Here is some factual perspective....there are 32 teams so the average SB win would be once every 32 years....right? Yet fans are not happy unless we are knocking on that door? I watched my first NFL game on January 17th,m 1971. The Colts won the SB that day, and it was 36 years until I got to enjoy the next one. No...I did not call them garbage, or trash, or say they sucked every 2-14, or 1-15 season. They are my team. So today's spoiled, entitled,  whiny fan has no spine to me. OK, enough about that. 

I also feel that since we have never had a losing season and have been without our starting QB, that their is no indication that this season will be a pretty bad one. But it certainly may be a season that many newer fans feel is short of what they hope for. But alas, when things really  go bad for the Colts in the future, and that time will come again, most of those complaining fans will not gain perspective, they will just go away...and return when the team is winning again. 

That is the difference in being the fan of a team, and being a fan of winning. 

BTW, I like being here and I like the way you follow your team, PFM18. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, stallyns said:

I also didn't get a chance to watch the game and I'm not sure I will.

From just a small spattering of highlights I heard about

Mattias Farley had a really good game, a sack and a couple batted passes. Game MVP.  I feel a little better about Clayton  Geathers absence for at least 6 games. 

The offensive line played well, Tolzien was only sacked once and hit a couple times. Can't say if that was the addition of Schwenke or not cause I don't know how much or if he played. I just now watched a Frank Gore run on the Colts website with 2:00 mins left in the 1Q and Bond was at center at that point. 

Tackling still appears to be an issue. We put a great deal of emphasis this offseason on creating turnovers and that has come to fruition. Im hoping one day we get that together too 

All in all progress looks like it is being made. Tolzien's best game last year was also against Pittsburgh, even though we lost that game (that wasn't Tolzien's fault).

I still have reservations about whether or not Pagano will keep his job passed this year but if we finish with 7+ wins with Luck missing a few games again and players showing progression then it no one can put blame on Pagano. 

You pretty much nailed it. Tackling is an issue, but I akin the pre-snap reads by our secondary to be even more of a work in progress, as expected with the relative age and health of that unit. I see them with the arrow pointing way up as the season progresses. Fully healthy, our secondary could become quite sharp. 

2 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Thanks for the response, I agreed with most of what you wrote....and I quoted the part I wanted to respond back to. As I said....many fans could gain some perspective....which is meant as.... we have never had a losing season since Luck was drafted. Just because a fan thought we should have been better by now, is not really perspective. Drafting in the top ten for several seasons in a row will give a fan perspective. I could say that Jaguar or Browns fans have perspective...but I would have to actually say current Jag & Browns fans have perspective because as soon as their team starts winning the division...new fans will jump on board. and when they start to falter? You bet....the biggest whining will come from those new fans who felt they deserved more from their team because they...drum roll....have no perspective. Here is some factual perspective....there are 32 teams so the average SB win would be once every 32 years....right? Yet fans are not happy unless we are knocking on that door? I watched my first NFL game on January 17th,m 1971. The Colts won the SB that day, and it was 36 years until I got to enjoy the next one. No...I did not call them garbage, or trash, or say they sucked every 2-14, or 1-15 season. They are my team. So today's spoiled, entitled,  whiny fan has no spine to me. OK, enough about that. 

I also feel that since we have never had a losing season and have been without our starting QB, that their is no indication that this season will be a pretty bad one. But it certainly may be a season that many newer fans feel is short of what they hope for. But alas, when things really  go bad for the Colts in the future, and that time will come again, most of those complaining fans will not gain perspective, they will just go away...and return when the team is winning again. 

That is the difference in being the fan of a team, and being a fan of winning. 

BTW, I like being here and I like the way you follow your team, PFM18. Thanks for sharing. 

No worries. Glad you enjoy being here. We need as many Colts fans as possible to discuss our team.

I don't know why certain fans expect us to be successful every year. Unless you're the Patriots the NFL doesn't work like that. Look at the Panthers. Didn't even make the playoffs after reaching the Super Bowl the season before. Same for the Cardinals after reaching the NFC Championship game. Success isn't a given.

And yes we're not great right now but hey at least its not the 2011 season where we went 1-15 and had Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter QB'ing for us. Yes we managed to suck enough to draft Andrew Luck but that season was so damn frustrating to watch. Even when you know your team is tanking it's still annoying to see. 

I don't know how people can make such severe observations from preseason anyway. I admit I've been on Tolzien's back this preseason but I accept we can't really judge until the regular season and do hope he can do a job until Luck's back.

I've been fortunate to see my favourite ever player win two superbowls for two different franchises during 17 years of watching the NFL. I realize how hard it is to win one and whilst I'm not expecting a Colts SB this season I am encouraged by the future of this team and hope to see us challenging soon.

11 hours ago, PFM18 said:

No worries. Glad you enjoy being here. We need as many Colts fans as possible to discuss our team.

I don't know why certain fans expect us to be successful every year. Unless you're the Patriots the NFL doesn't work like that. Look at the Panthers. Didn't even make the playoffs after reaching the Super Bowl the season before. Same for the Cardinals after reaching the NFC Championship game. Success isn't a given.

And yes we're not great right now but hey at least its not the 2011 season where we went 1-15 and had Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter QB'ing for us. Yes we managed to suck enough to draft Andrew Luck but that season was so damn frustrating to watch. Even when you know your team is tanking it's still annoying to see. 

I don't know how people can make such severe observations from preseason anyway. I admit I've been on Tolzien's back this preseason but I accept we can't really judge until the regular season and do hope he can do a job until Luck's back.

I've been fortunate to see my favourite ever player win two superbowls for two different franchises during 17 years of watching the NFL. I realize how hard it is to win one and whilst I'm not expecting a Colts SB this season I am encouraged by the future of this team and hope to see us challenging soon.

As I think about my responses and original post, I was pretty frustrated and put out far more angst than is really my nature. I apologize to all. I actually am much more about love and respect....just sad that the team I love is so disrespected. I'll stay who I am, and try to look at things differently. We as Colt fans are so very fortunate to have experienced the incredible run we did and may still be experiencing. We have been one of the top five franchises of the last 15 years for wins and fan enjoyment. 

Archived