Report: Todd Gurley has arthritis in knee

pwny

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

There is always a desperate team who doesn't care about the concerns and red flags. 

Dude sat out a year and gave up 14 million so it wouldn't affect his contract. Now the top RB goes down with what may not end his career immediately, but will shorten it greatly. 

There may be a desperate team, but I don't think he's getting the money top WR's make which was his point of contention. 

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

If bad enough, knee replacement is probably in his future. Oddly - though it sounds bad - the science of the operation has gotten better and better and its becoming as prevalent as hip replacements (well, maybe not as common as hip replacements...but you get the idea).

Knees are more commonly replaced than hips statistically, by a large margin iirc.

The surgeries and recovery times are nothing alike though.  A couple weeks for a hip, walking same day, etc (for a person in good health, anterior approach).  Knees are still months of rehab and recovery for everyone regardless of health.

Knees and shoulders are the longest and most painful recoveries as far as joints go.

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Cant run with a football anymore but you can live a normal life with just about everything else.

Yeah, 6-12 months later you’re back to business as usually (as far as normal activities) and you’re generally good for 15-20 years, which is about how long a new knee lasts these days.

Of course all of those joints take a back seat to back pain as far as treatment options go.  Generally speaking you’re SOL with back issues for the most part.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Knees are more commonly replaced than hips statistically, by a large margin iirc.

The surgeries and recovery times are nothing alike though.  A couple weeks for a hip, walking same day, etc (for a person in good health, anterior approach).  Knees are still months of rehab and recovery for everyone regardless of health.

Knees and shoulders are the longest and most painful recoveries as far as joints go.

Yeah, 6-12 months later you’re back to business as usually (as far as normal activities) and you’re generally good for 15-20 years, which is about how long a new knee lasts these days.

Of course all of those joints take a back seat to back pain as far as treatment options go.  Generally speaking you’re SOL with back issues for the most part.

Good, informative post. I wasnt aware of the knee/hip surgery frequencies....but in a way it would make sense given the wear and tear on the respective joints.

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Taking this even further, neck fusions are another surgery that for the most part are fine for like 20 years until you potentially will need a new one.

I broke my neck when I was 16 and was in a neck brace 24/7 for 4 months. I was actually able to run track and field 6 months after the surgery but I couldn't really turn my neck or make fast movements all that much. Took about 2 years until I had full ROM again and after that I had absolutely no restrictions. Sports, lifting weights, etc it's all good. But, sadly, with the way neck fusions work they take the stress load off the point of the fusion and redirect it to the vertebrae/disks both above and below the fusion which over time will make them wear out sooner.

It's amazing how advanced medicine has come in such a relatively short time.

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

But, sadly, with the way neck fusions work they take the stress load off the point of the fusion and redirect it to the vertebrae/disks both above and below the fusion which over time will make them wear out sooner.

The cervial spine is managed pretty much the same way as the rest of the spine, but bears less weight.  The lower on the spine, the more weight it has compressing discs, etc and the more “wear and tear” you typically have.

Fusions almost always lead to further problems for the reason you described.  Eventually many people need further fusions.  It’s a nasty, slippery slope.  

For as far as we’ve come with a lot of conditions, there still is not a great way to treat a basic structural issue with the back, which is unfortunate.

I always advocate for people to delay surgery as long as possible on the back, if not avoid it entirely, and go into surgery eyes wide open realizing that for a lot of people it won’t help and some end up worse off.

I encourage people to be much more aggressive in treating hips and knees though.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Because freak medical injuries/conditions don't happen to every other position group?

It just seems to always be something with a runner that limits their shelf life. Typically, due to the nature of the position. If this was a QB or edge defender on a mega deal that suddenly had arthritis, as a fan I'd feel less dejected about the team putting a large financial investment on that position. Those players aren't easily replaceable as runners, and more important to team success.

This is a bad, bad beat for TGII.

I think he'll be able to get through it for a couple seasons if the Rams go to a RBBC to limit his carries but I don't think he makes it to age 27 in the league. These things progress quick and quicker since there's really no form to treat it without replacement and they'll want to hold that off as long as possible since he's only 24.

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This is a bad, bad beat for TGII.

I think he'll be able to get through it for a couple seasons if the Rams go to a RBBC to limit his carries but I don't think he makes it to age 27 in the league. These things progress quick and quicker since there's really no form to treat it without replacement and they'll want to hold that off as long as possible since he's only 24.

Idk. Malcolm Mitchell had the same had to call it a career after 1 season. Good thing for Gurley is he has a ton of guaranteed money so being able to play 2,3 more years and retire now won't make a ton of difference

18 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If this was a QB or edge defender on a mega deal that suddenly had arthritis, as a fan I'd feel less dejected about the team putting a large financial investment on that position. Those players aren't easily replaceable as runners, and more important to team success.

Ask Washington fans if they feel less dejected because they spent a boatload of money on a QB who had a freak injury that might be career ending. 

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Idk. Malcolm Mitchell had the same had to call it a career after 1 season. Good thing for Gurley is he has a ton of guaranteed money so being able to play 2,3 more years and retire now won't make a ton of difference

Yeah that's very true.

27 might be a little hopeful but hopefully he can milk a few more seasons out.

At age 30, I'm faced with shoulder replacement after a serious work accident in 2016. The doctors flat old told me I'll never go back to operating heavy equipment for the sole reason to slow down the arthritis in my shoulder because a replacement only lasts so long before you have to get another. If I were to get it now, I'd probably need another a couple more in my life. So to take me off physical work is to try and postpone a replacement until I'm in my 40's. 

I'd imagine the same would ring true for Gurley. You don't want to get a replacement when you're in your 20's. And by postponing it, time is on your side as hopefully better & better treatments come about to prevent replacements or make them easier to recover from/last longer.

It's a bummer.

3 hours ago, pwny said:

This seems like it’s not a good thing. Those with medical knowledge, is there anything that can be done about this other than pain management?

So the Rams failed to disclose this on the injury report.

The league obviously needs to take away draft picks for this.

Archived