Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pwny

Report: Todd Gurley has arthritis in knee

Recommended Posts

This sucks. Have to think there’s a good chance we want CJ Anderson back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some insight from Will Blackmon who dealt with the same thing. This sounds bad and something that could plague him his whole career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy isn't a Rams beat writer. I've seen conflicting information from people with presumably better sources. Everybody wants to crack what happened to Gurley. I'm not buying anything for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea...I don't think Gurley's career will be very lengthy and having a lighter workload from here on out will probably be the only way to preserve his career.  I think it would be very smart to resign CJ if possible if not look to find another workhorse to compliment Gurley in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SMH love Todd, but we are going to regret paying him last season if this is true. I hear he is exploring Stem Cell treatment which I will remain hopeful for. Regardless, we need a legitimate #2 or 1.B type RB. Someone who can pass protect!

Tevin Coleman and Mark Ingram will likely be paid top dollar, so looking to the draft seems more feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand why everyone wants CJ back. Yea he was a really good plug in when we picked him up off the street... think about that sentence for a second, the guy who was already cut from MULTIPLE TEAMS in the season, who most thought was overweight/out of shape and done came in and ran well for us in our system behind our OLine.

This should be setting off alarm bells here folks. We dont need to pay another RB, we just need to have 1 or 2 solid ones to carry some load. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Honestly Brown/Davis/Kelly should be able to do that. But paying the hottest running back doing into FA is a bad move. Now if he sits out there for a month, no one pays him, and hes back on the Vet minimum, then fine, but thats not usually how the NFL works (especially if CJ isnt asking for the moon)

There is a glut of better, younger guys out there that are going to be left with Minimum or just above contracts, and at best be splitting time in backfields. We should be grabbing one of those guys over thinking that CJ was anything more than Lightning in a bottle for a 2 month run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont understand why everyone wants CJ back. Yea he was a really good plug in when we picked him up off the street... think about that sentence for a second, the guy who was already cut from MULTIPLE TEAMS in the season, who most thought was overweight/out of shape and done came in and ran well for us in our system behind our OLine.

This should be setting off alarm bells here folks. We dont need to pay another RB, we just need to have 1 or 2 solid ones to carry some load. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Honestly Brown/Davis/Kelly should be able to do that. But paying the hottest running back doing into FA is a bad move. Now if he sits out there for a month, no one pays him, and hes back on the Vet minimum, then fine, but thats not usually how the NFL works (especially if CJ isnt asking for the moon)

There is a glut of better, younger guys out there that are going to be left with Minimum or just above contracts, and at best be splitting time in backfields. We should be grabbing one of those guys over thinking that CJ was anything more than Lightning in a bottle for a 2 month run.

I think we all liked what we saw from Kelly in the pre-season but for some reason the staff doesn't trust him. The best solution is he can improve his pass protection and be the back-up.

I agree that the RB next year we have to take some of Gurley's workload should be cheap so if CJA is a hot commodity for teams then I wouldn't want him back. But I have a tough time buying we'd get anywhere close to the same production out of Brown in the last 2 games of the year and the Dallas game that we got from CJ. Next year it is going to be really important to managing Gurley's workload so that he is coming into the playoffs as healthy as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple FA options I want to float:

Adrian Peterson- proved he can still run the ball and will be looking for a ring. Cheap 1yr deal is my guess.

TJ Yeldon- showed promise early on in his career, but fell in the depth chart behind Fournette and then Hyde.

Mike Davis- friend of Todd Gurley and would come cheap. Familiar with SF and Seattle.

Jeremy Hill- Former starter in the league that fell out of grace. Worth looking at for 1 year deal.

Ameer Adbullah- former top talent in the draft. Can he pass block? Will come cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I think we all liked what we saw from Kelly in the pre-season but for some reason the staff doesn't trust him. The best solution is he can improve his pass protection and be the back-up.

I feel thats exactly what it is, its a bi thing for almost all Rookie RBs. If I remember correctly it was a concern with Todd at one point.

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

But I have a tough time buying we'd get anywhere close to the same production out of Brown in the last 2 games of the year and the Dallas game that we got from CJ.

I think you would have gotten very good production out of a very large number of RBs in those games. CJ just found a groove, was completely fresh and took advantae. But I dont think you are getting that type of production out of CJ over 16+ games, even in a more limited role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

A couple FA options I want to float:

I was just thinking about AP today, might be worth it. I really like TJ Yeldon too, I feel like he has some untapped talent, and many teams will overlook him in FA.

Just a few more names that will be out there;

  • Bilal Powell
  • Spencer Ware
  • Jaquizz Rodgers
  • Alfred Blue
  • Ty Montgomery
  • Buck Allen
  • Jay Ajaiya
  • Jalen Richard

Plus guys who might end up getting cut, like a Theo Reddick

I guess all Im really saying is that I hope we dont get too focused in on CJ Anderson, he was Cut from RB needy teams last season for a reason.

Edited by StLunatic88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I wonder what Duke Johnson would cost to acquire.

Apparently a handful of team have already reached out to the Browns about him. Duke is so underrated, but I bet it would depend on what the timetable with Hunt turns out to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I was just thinking about AP today, might be worth it. I really like TJ Yeldon too, I feel like he has some untapped talent, and many teams will overlook him in FA.

Just a few more names that will be out there;

  • Bilal Powell
  • Spencer Ware
  • Jaquizz Rodgers
  • Alfred Blue
  • Ty Montgomery
  • Buck Allen
  • Jay Ajaiya
  • Jalen Richard

Plus guys who might end up getting cut, like a Theo Reddick

I guess all Im really saying is that I hope we dont get too focused in on CJ Anderson, he was Cut from RB needy teams last season for a reason.

Isn’t Bilal Powell’s career over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×