The direction of the Broncos in the near future.

BroncoSojia

Denver reminds me of the early-era Telesco Chargers. Even though the Chargers still had Rivers in his prime, it is still a similar make up of having an aging core and trying to patch things up with short term moves. The best thing to happen to the team was being awful in 2015 and 2016, it allowed Telesco to replenish the roster with younger talent.  Maybe Flacco gets them to the playoff this year, but I just don't see much of a high ceiling with their current roster. 

20 hours ago, game3525 said:

Denver reminds me of the early-era Telesco Chargers. Even though the Chargers still had Rivers in his prime, it is still a similar make up of having an aging core and trying to patch things up with short term moves. The best thing to happen to the team was being awful in 2015 and 2016, it allowed Telesco to replenish the roster with younger talent.  Maybe Flacco gets them to the playoff this year, but I just don't see much of a high ceiling with their current roster. 

Ehh, they nailed their last draft but you cant flip your entire roster and start a youth movement in 1 year. It takes 2-3 good drafts. They started to shed some of the aging veteran dead weight by releasing Peko, Marshall and Stewart and I fully expect them to target defense in the draft high to get another 2 immediate starters with Devin White probably spearheading that.

From what management has said I dont get the feeling they will go QB early-- maybe take a shot on a raw high upside guy in the mid-rounds like Jackson. They believe Flacco will be enough to keep the team competitive while they restock the position players with young talent and bring in another batch to compliment Chubb/Lindsay/Sutton/Freeman/Jewel.

If they hit on another draft and get another 4-5 guys, maybe next year is when we see them pull off a Carson Wentz-esq trade at the top of the draft.

I will end this by saying I will facepalm myself into the hospital if they pass on Haskins at #10.

The signing of Flacco indicates they believe they can win now with their current roster, but in a couple of years they'll be rebuilding (and the ages of both Chris Harris and Von Miller indicate this, to me).

Flacco can still play in the playoffs, if you make it there. But he's nothing more than a bridge QB that should be replaced as soon as possible, but at least with him you give yourself time to find that next piece.

But aside from that, the way Elway has managed that team is very...confusing.

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The signing of Flacco indicates they believe they can win now with their current roster, but in a couple of years they'll be rebuilding (and the ages of both Chris Harris and Von Miller indicate this, to me).

Flacco can still play in the playoffs, if you make it there. But he's nothing more than a bridge QB that should be replaced as soon as possible, but at least with him you give yourself time to find that next piece.

But aside from that, the way Elway has managed that team is very...confusing.

Well yeah, that goes back to my post about being stuck in the middle which is a big reason why they keep filling in QB with vets. A big part of their QB issue since Peyton is outside of last year (Mayfield/Darlond gone) they haven't been in the position to draft a top tier QB prospect without selling the farm to move up. Hell, the last time they were in position to draft a top tier QB prospect since 2018 was 2006 with Cutler.

It's difficult to find your QB when constantly drafting in 15-30 every year. Which is why this year with them sitting at #10 is when I would think they would make the move for Haskins/Lock.

If not, Flacco could be good enough to have you drafting outside the top 15 again and your back in the same boat of needing a QBOTF but having to either settle for 2nd tier prospects or punting a entire draft to trade up top 5.

It's a weird position but eventually they need to strike and quit settling for those 2nd/3rd tier QB prospects hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle.

Honestly, I get a major Michael Jordan as "the guy" in Charlotte when the current Hornets were still the Bobcats.  His talent eval is good in some areas, horrendous in others (which, to me, reads that the teams has some exceptional scouts when it comes to particular positions more than that this is some place where Elway himself is stupendous).  It's why Top Guys (i.e. players who were among the greatest of their era at their position) rarely tend to make great execs unless they're from "grinder" type positions; it's a mentality thing, rather than constantly expecting to be in win-now mode, but also guys who realized that despite their own inherent talent, they were only as good as the talent they surrounded themselves with.  Similarly, whereas QB's have tended to have desirable traits in terms of leadership, delegating, and being the tip of the spear as head coaches, guys who were more in the trenches (OL, LB, TE, DL) have, off the top of my head, tended to have those qualities that lend itself more to the GM/Player Personnel positions.

And, similarly to Jordan in Charlotte, Elway has such a status in Denver as a market that he's likely to be there until he decides he doesn't want to be.  And, I've spoken (albeit briefly) with John in the past, he's not what you'd call the most self-aware person and certainly not lacking in self-belief.

If he's not careful, he's going to turn the Broncos into another 90's/00's Redskins, if they're not already there (the odd 9-win season when all the scheduling, injuries, luck stars align, but otherwise mired in mediocrity).

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well yeah, that goes back to my post about being stuck in the middle which is a big reason why they keep filling in QB with vets. A big part of their QB issue since Peyton is outside of last year (Mayfield/Darlond gone) they haven't been in the position to draft a top tier QB prospect without selling the farm to move up. Hell, the last time they were in position to draft a top tier QB prospect since 2018 was 2006 with Cutler.

It's difficult to find your QB when constantly drafting in 15-30 every year. Which is why this year with them sitting at #10 is when I would think they would make the move for Haskins/Lock.

If not, Flacco could be good enough to have you drafting outside the top 15 again and your back in the same boat of needing a QBOTF but having to either settle for 2nd tier prospects or punting a entire draft to trade up top 5.

It's a weird position but eventually they need to strike and quit settling for those 2nd/3rd tier QB prospects hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle.

This is my fear with the team this year. We really need to draft our guy this year and get it out of the way. 

22 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

This is my fear with the team this year. We really need to draft our guy this year and get it out of the way. 

I mean thats the situation the Broncos have literally been in since Kyle Orton was the QB. Tebow- late 1st. Lynch- late 1st. Osweiler-2nd. Siemian- 7th. Kelly- 7th. Its not like they are swinging and missing on top tier QBs every other year. They are swinging and missing on 2nd tier talent because they are scared to do a Eagles/Wentz trade

I fully believe they would have taken either Mayfield/Darnold last year but both got selected.

I also believe Drew Lock will be staring them in the face at #10 this year when Haskins goes to NYG. Its up to them if they want to want to pull the trigger.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, The LBC said:

Honestly, I get a major Michael Jordan as "the guy" in Charlotte when the current Hornets were still the Bobcats.  His talent eval is good in some areas, horrendous in others (which, to me, reads that the teams has some exceptional scouts when it comes to particular positions more than that this is some place where Elway himself is stupendous).  It's why Top Guys (i.e. players who were among the greatest of their era at their position) rarely tend to make great execs unless they're from "grinder" type positions; it's a mentality thing, rather than constantly expecting to be in win-now mode, but also guys who realized that despite their own inherent talent, they were only as good as the talent they surrounded themselves with.  Similarly, whereas QB's have tended to have desirable traits in terms of leadership, delegating, and being the tip of the spear as head coaches, guys who were more in the trenches (OL, LB, TE, DL) have, off the top of my head, tended to have those qualities that lend itself more to the GM/Player Personnel positions.

And, similarly to Jordan in Charlotte, Elway has such a status in Denver as a market that he's likely to be there until he decides he doesn't want to be.  And, I've spoken (albeit briefly) with John in the past, he's not what you'd call the most self-aware person and certainly not lacking in self-belief.

If he's not careful, he's going to turn the Broncos into another 90's/00's Redskins, if they're not already there (the odd 9-win season when all the scheduling, injuries, luck stars align, but otherwise mired in mediocrity).

Really good post.  That sums up my view of Elway perfectly.  Lack of self-awareness, excess of confidence, too proud to admit he needs help in some areas (QB evaluation being the most glaring).

I'd be looking to deal Von if I were them.  Kick start the rebuild this year while Von still has good value at 29.  Another year or two and his value drops. 

I'd probably look to gut the roster of any valuable players in the 28-31 range for picks, draft OL or pass rusher this year or trade down.  Suck with Flacco and look for a QB come 2020 and rebuild from there. 

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd be looking to deal Von if I were them.  Kick start the rebuild this year while Von still has good value at 29.  Another year or two and his value drops. 

I'd probably look to gut the roster of any valuable players in the 28-31 range for picks, draft OL or pass rusher this year or trade down.  Suck with Flacco and look for a QB come 2020 and rebuild from there. 

Von to the Raiders for pick 27. Thanks. Bye. 

On 3/22/2019 at 4:40 PM, Rockice_8 said:

Trading Von would have been like Trading Terrell Davis in the 90s. And suddenly, we have no pass rushers outside of Chubb because Ray and Barrett are gone.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, The LBC said:

I think the big difference between Elway and MJ is that I get a sense that Elway thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, which I never got the sense from Jordan. Mike's biggest problem in Charlotte was that he always hired his friends regardless if they were competent. 

On 3/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, game3525 said:

I think the big difference between Elway and MJ is that I get a sense that Elway thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, which I never got the sense from Jordan. Mike's biggest problem in Charlotte was that he always hired his friends regardless if they were competent. 

Elway has also built 2 superbowl teams and has a championship ring as a GM. MJs teams have made the playoffs only twice in 14 years with 0 series wins.

Archived