The direction of the Broncos in the near future.

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Elway got Peyton Manning. If MJ got Kevin Durant, he too would be in the finals. 

What about whole year where they won the SB with one of the best defenses in history built by moves that he made in the offseason and draft picks he made.

He added Peyton (as if thats some kind of knock?), but Peyton was not the reason they won the SB. Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Shaq Barrett, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan, Chris Harris, Aqib Talib, Bradley Roby, Darian Stewart and TJ Ward were the reason. Players he drafted or signed in FA.

9 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

"You"? I'm not a particular team, actually. 

But if you insist upon addressing my fan associations, the Colts went from a perennial Super Bowl contender to averaging 8 wins per season since. 8 wins per season, hence the "perpetual mediocrity" comment. 

The colts during the 2011 season started QBs that never started a game in the nfl after 2011. That’s why they sucked. The second they got an NFL QB again(2012) they won 11 games and were in the playoffs.

Edited by CP3MVP

8 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

The colts during the 2011 season started QBs that never started a game in the nfl after 2011. That’s why they sucked. The second they got an NFL QB again(2012) they won 11 games and were in the playoffs.

Okay, that's great and all, but that doesn't change anything I said. Still averaged 8 wins per year post-Peyton era. Sure, if you want to arbitrarily exclude 11', it comes to 9 wins per season, which still falls under "perpetual mediocrity." 

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

What about whole year where they won the SB with one of the best defenses in history built by moves that he made in the offseason and draft picks he made.

He added Peyton (as if thats some kind of knock?), but Peyton was not the reason they won the SB. Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Shaq Barrett, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan, Chris Harris, Aqib Talib, Bradley Roby, Darian Stewart and TJ Ward were the reason. Players he drafted or signed in FA.

A lot of those moves wouldn't have happened if he never got Peyton. Guys went there to play with one of the best QBs of all-time. 

23 hours ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Okay, that's great and all, but that doesn't change anything I said. Still averaged 8 wins per year post-Peyton era. Sure, if you want to arbitrarily exclude 11', it comes to 9 wins per season, which still falls under "perpetual mediocrity." 

And that includes 2017 when you started QBs who never started games in the nfl after that season. 

Just putting that “mediocrity” into context

Edited by CP3MVP

12 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

And that includes 2017 when you started QBs who never started games in the nfl after that season. 

Just putting that “mediocrity” into context

Stop saying "you guys." You're talking to me, not the Colts organization. 

Your comment isn't relevant. It still holds. They're still mediocre, you explaining why they may have been mediocre says nothing that serves to dispute the premise. 

And "never started after the 2017 season" WE ARE ONLY ONE SEASON REMOVED FROM THAT!

On 3/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, game3525 said:

A lot of those moves wouldn't have happened if he never got Peyton*. Guys went there to play with one of the best QBs of all-time. 

* And Wade Phillips.

I think Elway gets a more credit for the work that guys like Matt Russell, who if I'm not mistaken came in with Josh McDaniels in the wake of the Shanahan years, very likely put in more formal time on.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Stop saying "you guys." You're talking to me, not the Colts organization. 

Your comment isn't relevant. It still holds. They're still mediocre, you explaining why they may have been mediocre says nothing that serves to dispute the premise. 

And "never started after the 2017 season" WE ARE ONLY ONE SEASON REMOVED FROM THAT!

The colts when starting competent nfl QBs were a playoff team basically every season post Peyton. 

Again, I’m putting their “mediocrity” in context. Of course you’re going to suck when you start 89 year old Kerry Collins

Edited by CP3MVP

On 3/26/2019 at 9:04 PM, AkronsWitness said:

About once every 15 seasons a defensive team catches lightning in a bottle and wins a championship. 85 Bears. 2000 Ravens. Broncos in 2015.

2 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

About once every 15 seasons a defensive team catches lightning in a bottle and wins a championship. 85 Bears. 2000 Ravens. Broncos in 2015.

U kinda missed a couple important ones...  Bucs, Seahawks, Steelers.  Not really every 15 years but yea I get ur point.

11 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

Wut?

Defense is the reason a team wins every year... 

Pats and Eagles are balanced but they definitely were more defensive teams during their SB years if you had to pick one. The years the Pats have more of an offensive identity is the years they come up short. Defense will always win championships. 

When is the last time a pure offensive team ever won the Super Bowl? Has that ever happened? I don’t think so. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread due to this report

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/NFL-insider-Broncos-wont-draft-first-round-QB-Joe-Flacco-131112345/

This Charles Robinson guy is pretty well connected apparently, but I hope for my sanity that this report is just subterfuge. I do not want us basing our draft plans around the feelings of an old, beat up, bottom 10 QB that hasn't done anything of significance for years.

IMO, Flacco should be viewed as nothing more than a stop-gap. 

Edited by BroncoSojia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

Bumping this thread due to this report

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/NFL-insider-Broncos-wont-draft-first-round-QB-Joe-Flacco-131112345/

This Charles Robinson guy is pretty well connected apparently, but I hope for my sanity that this report is just subterfuge. I do not want us basing our draft plans around the feelings of an old, beat up, bottom 10 QB that hasn't done anything of significance for years.

IMO, Flacco should be viewed as nothing more than a stop-gap. 

Im sure hes not, however the point of having a capable veteran like Flacco is so that you can focus on rebuilding other areas of need. LB, S, OG, DT, C are still problem areas that could potentially be fixed in the draft/vet camp cuts.

However, if they have another stellar draft like last year and come away with 3 more starters + depth, the Broncos wont be picking in the top 10 next season which means probably, again, missing out on the top tier QB talent in next years draft.

Theres 2 ways to play this and since Ive said on 500 different occasions that the Broncos havent found their QBOTF yet is because they are rarely in position to take one of the top tier prospects---you almost have to take a chance on Haskins/Lock at #10. Who knows where they will be in 1 year from now and you cant keep playing the re-tread veteran QB game forever.

While it would be more impactful for the upcoming season to take Bush at LB, the better long term play is picking between Haskins/Lock and having a really good young QB on the roster that can lead the team for the next decade +