Will Norm Van Brocklin's single game passing record be broken?

PFM18

In recent seasons many NFL records, certainly passing records have been broken as the league centres towards the passing game combined with the talent playing at the QB position. 

However one record from 1951 still stands 66 years later. Norm Van Brocklin's 554 yards for the Los Angeles Rams against the New York Yanks is still the most passing yards thrown in a single game. 

Considering the elite talent we've had at QB in the NFL in the last few years, if not decades, I find it surprising that nobody has actually broken the record set back when the passing game was not as prominent as it is today.

So when you think how long the record has stood, do you think it will be broken?

I definitely think its possible. 20 times the 500 mark has been reached and the closest was Moon/Schaub at 527. 27 yards is 1 pass that isn't just a hail mary. 

It probably takes a few things:

Overtime

A QB playing for a bad enough team with no running game always playing from behind. 

WRs/RBs with some serious YAC ability. 

A few years ago, I think vs the Colts....Ben had 500 yards around the beginning of the 4th quarter and we drastically slowed the tempo down, even though we were only up by a TD.    Couldve easily got there if they kept the foot on the gas.

Point is, it will definitely happen and probably sooner rather than later....likely in a close, high scoring game or a team trying to make a huge comeback when QBs need to keep throwing.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

A few years ago, I think vs the Colts....Ben had 500 yards around the beginning of the 4th quarter and we drastically slowed the tempo down, even though we were only up by a TD.    Couldve easily got there if they kept the foot on the gas.

Point is, it will definitely happen and probably sooner rather than later....likely in a close, high scoring game or a team trying to make a huge comeback when QBs need to keep throwing.

My thought exactly and possibly the QB on a team who didn't win or prevent defenses allow yards to still win the game.

I didn't know the record was that old and I'm actually shocked no one in the last 5 years has topped that number. That's a ton of yards but it really doesn't jump out as an unreachable number. 

My belief has always been that anything that can realistically be done will happen eventually. Dickerson's single season record. A rookie QB winning the Super Bowl. Etc.

Elite talent found in QBs makes it seem plausible, coupled with elite athletes at WR.  But the defensive linemen are also elite, as are the DBs.  

I could see it happening in a close game between two elite offenses battling against average defenses coupled with refs not calling PI.  All the PI calls makes it nearly impossible now, as those are lost yard opportunities.

That was a highly unusual game in 1951. The Rams defeated the Browns for the league championshiop, with Otto Graham dueling Van Brocklin.

The NY Yanks were a left over team from the AAFC and disbanded after 51. There is no comparably awful team in the modern game. The Yanks were 1-10-1.

Paradoxically, the Yanks had two good QBs. George Talieferro had led Indiana to its only Big Ten title. Halas wanted him, the league said not at QB. George Ratterman was good but limited by injury. Talieferro actually played defacto QB but his stats were listed as rb or flanker.

The problem with some of these records is that QBs get pulled before they break them. Tom Brady put up something like 300 yards and 35 points (including 5 passing TDs)... in a single quarter a few years back. He was pulled shortly after the half of that same game. Had he been allowed to stay in the game for the 2nd half his numbers would have been mind blowing.

Not saying it can't happen tho, many have gotten close and it's bound to get broken soon. Maybe by a bad team. Bad teams with good QBs (like the Saints) can't pull their QB since they're usually in shoot outs or they're so far behind the opposing team is playing nothing but prevent D and letting the QB gets easy yardage in garbage time.

Archived