I’m in on Andy Isabella

I had been calling for Boykin in the middle rounds. 6'4 220 and ran a 4.42. Thats insane for that height. And I mainly liked him for his hands, I was more expecting in the range of 4.55-4.65.

We all said this was a deep WR draft class. Guys like Andy and Boykin are coming out the woodwork proving it to be so.

Edit to mention. Boykin had the 2nd highest vert in combine history, and 3rd longest broad in combine history to go along with that speed.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

I wouldn't hate him in the second round but I think we need to find a receiver who can play on the outside more than anything. These guys that play the slot are a dime a dozen and we have Trey Quinn who seemed like he was somewhat serviceable last year. But yeah this WR class is LOADED and we need to get at least one starting WR if not double dip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I had been calling for Boykin in the middle rounds. 6'4 220 and ran a 4.42. Thats insane for that height. And I mainly liked him for his hands, I was more expecting in the range of 4.55-4.65.

We all said this was a deep WR draft class. Guys like Andy and Boykin are coming out the woodwork proving it to be so.

Edit to mention. Boykin had the 2nd highest vert in combine history, and 3rd longest broad in combine history to go along with that speed.

Boykin’s combine was insanely good. In addition to all that, he also posted the fastest 3-cone drill and the 3rd-fastest shuttle. It’s arguably the best combine performance by a WR ever. 

The big question is, why did a guy who is that good an athlete barely even contribute for Notre Dame until his senior year? And even then, not exactly blowing up.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Boykin’s combine was insanely good. In addition to all that, he also posted the fastest 3-cone drill and the 3rd-fastest shuttle. It’s arguably the best combine performance by a WR ever. 

The big question is, why did a guy who is that good an athlete barely even contribute for Notre Dame until his senior year? And even then, not exactly blowing up.

Tough to say. in 17 their qb threw 49%. With a pile of ints. He played right much this season. The other qb this season was much better.

Boykin was mvp of the citrus bowl a year ago. I dont watch enough ND to know how heavily he was guarded. Look at AJ Brown for Ole Miss, defenses shifted his way, 2-3 guys keeping him in distance. And he still caught 85 passes. I do know what I saw from him I did like. He has great hands and can pluck that ball out the air. Does he just not know how to use his tools to get open? Did the qbs not know how to feed him the ball? Did defenses know he was the first look most plays so locked him down? Tough to say, which is why I wanted to try him in the mid rounds. But after yesterday, I could see someone using a 2nd on him.

My initial draft WR rankings

1st Round - N'Keal Harry - I think Harry might be my WR1 this year over DK. He answered a lot of athleticism questions at the combine and he doesn't have the production/injury issues like Metcalf does. He would be a great and underrated pick at #15.

1st round - DK Metcalf - I don't know if DK is on my final big board to draft because of injury/production but running that 4.33  at that size was one of the more memorable things at the combine I've seen. I'm on the fence about leaving him here.

1st Round - AJ Brown - I think AJ Brown answered a lot of athleticism questions yesterday and with his production he needs to be discussed more and more in the first round.

2nd Round - Parris Campbell - Campbell is a tough projection because production wise he is an enigma. He had a great year this year with Haskins but he didn't do much the year before. He's kinda of a gadget player where you can run sweeps/screens that would be great in a WCO. But how well does he run routes and traditional WR things

2nd Round - Deebo Samuel - I wasn't wowed with Deebo on tape but the production is certainly there. I need to watch him again. He's had some injury concerns so I'm not super high on him. He had a good combine.

2nd-3rd Round - Hakeem Butler - Everyone is talking about Miles Boykin and they should be but Hakeem had just as good a combine.  He had more production than Boykin and looks like a freak on tape as well.  Would Butler be a reach with our 2nd round draft pick? No

2nd-3rd Round - Darius Slayton - OK, here's my sleeper pick at WR. He had a wonderful combine and he can fly on tape. He played in a wacky offense but he can RAC.

3rd Round - Miles Boykin - He was the man of the combine yesterday and I've seen some of him and he can make some acrobatic catches. He's definitely an option with one of our third round picks. If he lasts that long

3rd Round - Andy Isabella - I like Isabella but at 5 foot 9 inches hes a slot only guy so I think the team could probably prefer an outside guy. Still its hard not to like his production. He played well at the Senior Bowl and had a good combine.

3rd Round - Mecole Hardman - Hardman shows a lot of football speed on tape and he backed that up on tape. He can RAC and would be a good fit in the WCO.

Do Not Draft

Marquise Brown - Might be a good player but the risk of being injured/and can't break 170 pounds is concerning.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey - He had a brutal combine. I was shocked when he ran that 4.79 forty the first time.

Kelvin Harmon - Just all around average combine mixed with his all around average tape makes me want to shy away.

Riley Ridley - Ridley is tough because he athletically matches up with his brother - not so good. But Calvin had a good year last year but how much of it was due to Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense? Probably a lot. I wouldn't take the chance on Ridley because this draft has so many other good WR's.

David Sills V - Forgot to add but he plays in a funky offense that I think inflated his value/stats. His combine was average

Edited by taylor made

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

1st round - DK Metcalf - I don't know if DK is on my final big board to draft because of injury/production but running that 4.33  at that size was one of the more memorable things at the combine I've seen. I'm on the fence about leaving him here.

4.33 is nice. But when you run the 3 cone and shuttle slower than Tom Brady because you cant cut or change direction. Youre sticking a quarter mile drag racer on a F1 track.

D0siCwoUcAAQOqM.jpg

D0smihqVsAABvFs.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/3/2019 at 6:48 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

4.33 is nice. But when you run the 3 cone and shuttle slower than Tom Brady because you cant cut or change direction. Youre sticking a quarter mile drag racer on a F1 track.

D0siCwoUcAAQOqM.jpg

D0smihqVsAABvFs.jpg

This screams “David Boston” to me

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. A fast Boston, but Boston nonetheless.

I do not like his other measurables. And while the clips I've seen of him play are great, its mostly of him with straightline speed.

Greedy shut him down awful. He had 3 catches, and 2 were at the LOS. One he ran up 3 yards, stopped and came back. the other he stood still for a quick out. His one decent catch, I think their feet tangled and Greedy tripped, so was open. Rest of the time he was smothered like a blanket cause he just cant cut and change direction.

AJ on the other hand. We had the top 2 DBs on his side of the field and he grabbed 9 balls. Only for 80 yards, but I count that on the pass rush only allowing the qb 3 seconds to get rid of the ball.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The reason I didn't see Andy Isabella being drafted by the Redskins is this:

Jay Gruden thinks Slot Receiver Trey Gruden will 'Dominate The Position'

https://www.redskins.com/news/the-redskins-are-ready-for-slot-receiver-trey-quinn-to-dominate-the-position

"Obviously losing Crowder hurts, hurts quite a bit," Gruden said during a media session at the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix on Tuesday. "But I'm ready to watch Trey Quinn jump in that slot role and dominate the position. I'm excited for him."

When healthy, Quinn proved serviceable, catching nine passes on 10 targets for 75 yards and scoring his first-career touchdown against the Dallas Cowboys last Thanksgiving. He just could not stay on the field.

"I did enough last year I guess to get that comment [from Gruden], but I haven't done anything this year," Quinn told Redskins.com on Thursday at the Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park. "As far as I know, I've played two-and-a-half games, and that's not enough to be a starting slot receiver. So I'm going to take this offseason pretty seriously."

Edited by turtle28