Raiders shopping QB Derek Carr?

vike daddy

19 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So maybe they're looking at this as, "free up $20M against the cap" so that they can build their defense through free agency.

Doubtful, Mark Davis traded Kahlil Mack because he literally didnt have the money to pay him. 

Word is that Mark Davis is unwilling to take on more debt. He also has some HUGE relocation payments etc on the horizon 'that he doesnt know where the money is going to come from'. 

Guaranteed money in NFL contracts has to be put into an escrow account the day the contract is signed. Mark Davis has money in an escrow account ear marked for Carr that would then go back to him in the event he is traded. Its not about clearing up cap space, its about shedding salary and getting money back that he paid two years ago

Its an absolute joke how that organization is ran

(in before some raiders fans say 'you have no evidence')

https://www.upi.com/Costly-Las-Vegas-move-could-force-Oakland-Raiders-ownership-change/7911490705371/

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/davis-in-desperate-gambler-mode/Content?oid=12239076

second link lays it out pretty well, he owes the NFL $378 MILLION over 10 years for the relocation costs.. last season he posted a 41 million dollar profit. That was BEFORE the debt of the new stadium etc 

• Like 5

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean, you're insinuating it's for marketing purposes. After seeing Gruden make trades last year, quite frankly, I don't think he gives a **** what the fans want/think.

Possibly, but I have no idea. I'm admitting the possibility of it's existence, nothing more, piggy backing on LBCs spitball. So I don't think it's impossible that what I'm positing could have merit or that this makes a certain degree of logical sense to some.

Personally? I'm more in line with your thinking that if true, it's going to be a bigger story than just one random B/R reporter. We will know that in the next few days as he could have just been the first on it. But I absolutely won't disregard the notion that it could be true or that the possible reasoning I'm offering is illogical

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think there is some merit to this. The billboard for the las Vegas raiders is Gruden, and that's kind of unacceptable for a new location and all that. I think it's maybe even made a little worse given that Gruden is often made fun of and not always taken seriously. 

Murray and AB instantly give the team two faces of the franchise for Vegas fans to be excited about

I think it's less about marketing (they're doing fine with moving PSL's out there - I've talked to people firsthand on this - though part of that is offering free food and alcohol to PSL owners for the first 5-7 seasons).  I think it's more about retention of those folks.  And I really don't think that the way-ahead-of-schedule success that the Golden Knights had is doing them any favors.  Fans, by nature, are fanatical and unrealistic, so if one team that recently started up there had success ahead of schedule, it's not uncommon in the slightest for the fanbase to expect that of any team relocating to the market.

Just now, The LBC said:

I think it's less about marketing (they're doing fine with moving PSL's out there - I've talked to people firsthand on this - though part of that is offering free food and alcohol to PSL owners for the first 5-7 seasons).  I think it's more about retention of those folks.  And I really don't think that the way-ahead-of-schedule success that the Golden Knights had is doing them any favors.  Fans, by nature, are fanatical and unrealistic, so if one team that recently started up there had success ahead of schedule, it's not uncommon in the slightest for the fanbase to expect that of any team relocating to the market.

For sure, and I should state that retention is part of what I'm talking about in that regard.

Also agree that the knights did them no favors. The VGK love here is way bigger than I ever imagined it would be

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Carr has $20 million in compensation due this year. His salary became fully guaranteed the week after the Super Bowl. Trading him would result in a cap charge of $7.5 million for 2019, and he’d be off the books in 2020.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/02/report-raiders-are-shopping-derek-carr/

20 million dollars in CASH savings. 7.5 mil in dead cap is money unpaid 

Some people might look at that as 'saving' 12.5 million, when in reality Davis has already spent the 20 million, but will get it back in the event Carr gets traded 

Thank you for posting this 

28 minutes ago, N4L said:

20 million dollars in CASH savings. 7.5 mil in dead cap is money unpaid 

Some people might look at that as 'saving' 12.5 million, when in reality Davis has already spent the 20 million, but will get it back in the event Carr gets traded 

Thank you for posting this 

Yup, what N4L is referring to and has been all along has nothing to do with the Raiders as a franchise saving against salary cap space that could then be used this season, he's talking about actual cash assets that Mark Davis has in escrow that is still owed which he would no longer owe if Carr is traded (and which he'd be able to take out of escrow and put back into his own account - or use to pay against monies owed to the NFL to cover the relocation fee being assessed by the league).

• Like 1