With extra 10 mil salary cap increase Packers will ......

coachbuns

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

They will have probably 40 million to spend. They are not going to the bank and stash it for next year. Rodgers window is about 5 years give or take. They may not spend big big dollars on one guy but they will/better get at least 2 or more decent higher tier free agents.

The Packers had ~$16M going into the offseason last year after you exclude the money for draft picks.  They're around $30M in cap space this offseason after you pencil in the draft picks.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How aggressive would you say is aggressive when the Raiders gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick to move up to 10 from 15?  In terms of values, the Packers FRP and 3rd would have been more valuable than what the Raiders gave up.

I agree, that is what I am saying.  A lot of people were talking about how aggressive Gute was going to be in getting his guy ad nauseum leading up to the draft.  In the end, he was the opposite of that.  Having learned my lesson, I do not trust reports that he's going to be truly aggressive in free agency.  I mean, Green Bay has to offer more money than any other NFL city to attract guys, so the only really reasonable FA approach is "bargain shopping."

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I agree, that is what I am saying.  A lot of people were talking about how aggressive Gute was going to be in getting his guy ad nauseum leading up to the draft.  In the end, he was the opposite of that.  Having learned my lesson, I do not trust reports that he's going to be truly aggressive in free agency.  I mean, Green Bay has to offer more money than any other NFL city to attract guys, so the only really reasonable FA approach is "bargain shopping."

Was Gute really that aggressive?  IIRC, wasn't the only FAs that the Packers were in on Allen Robinson and Jimmy Graham?  And Allen Robinson chose the Bears because he thought the fit was better.  I'd hardly take the rumors as anything.  From all reports, Gute was active in discussions which was more than what was the case for Ted Thompson.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers had ~$16M going into the offseason last year after you exclude the money for draft picks.  They're around $30M in cap space this offseason after you pencil in the draft picks.

Think they are going to let go couple more guys and that will put us toward 40 more than 30.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Was Gute really that aggressive?  IIRC, wasn't the only FAs that the Packers were in on Allen Robinson and Jimmy Graham?  And Allen Robinson chose the Bears because he thought the fit was better.  I'd hardly take the rumors as anything.  From all reports, Gute was active in discussions which was more than what was the case for Ted Thompson.

They offered a contract to Fuller from the Bears but it was matched. It could be argued that the they put out offers to the  "best" WR, TE, and CB on the market. That's pretty darn aggressive IMO especially compared to the last decade or so in GB.

22 hours ago, Golfman said:

Not sure that is the case. We have just over 34 million in cap space. Prior to the official announcement we had over 40 according to overthecap. 

Enough money to get a few guys in free agency, but we'll have to release a few too at this point. I believe our rookies are going to cost 10 million based on the slots we're drafting right now. 

Even if it is true, all 32 teams got the same 10M. It's a wash.

The only thing that will happen is that overpriced FA's will now cost even more.

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

They offered a contract to Fuller from the Bears but it was matched. It could be argued that the they put out offers to the  "best" WR, TE, and CB on the market. That's pretty darn aggressive IMO especially compared to the last decade or so in GB.

Also, didn't we reportedly offer our two firsts for Mack? There were some reports that Oakland chose the Bears because their picks would be higher (funny how that turned out). Dunno if they were verified or not.

It's not like the Packers will be that different from last year. They will set a value on each guy they are interested in, and chase them if they think they can achieve that $ contract. The biggest difference from earlier years, is that they have been willing  pursue the bigger name FAs.

Being willing (in recent years) to go all-in  on more expensive players is what got them the likes of Jimmy Graham and Julius Peppers. Bigger risk, but a bigger reward if you get solid value with the quality of their play through the season.

I'm still expecting them to pursue a good veteran safety this year. If they could get two of Edge Preston Smith, S Tre Boston, ILB Jordan Hicks and G Saffold or Spain, that would make the draft choices easier (choices taken from those of Mark Eckel on Bob McGinn's staff). These guys aren't in the Jadeveon Clowney/Landon Collins bracket, but they are a long way from budget basement.

Myself, personally, I believe JG has one more big TE year in him. I think it will be this year if LaFleur can convince Rodgers to use the TE and dump off passes. You know, the passes that create favorable down/distance for the offense.

I can see Graham with 50-65/900 and 10 TDs in this offense, maybe more.

BUT, it all hinges on Rodgers's being able to 'buy-in' to a new offense instead of trying to chuck it long on 3rd and short....

Also, I would love to have 3 road graders in the IOL. It would make 3rd or 4th and 1 much more achievable.

the interior of the OL has not been scary for a few years now.

Yes, I miss Long and Sitton.

20 minutes ago, 66PinG said:

Also, I would love to have 3 road graders in the IOL. It would make 3rd or 4th and 1 much more achievable.

the interior of the OL has not been scary for a few years now.

Yes, I miss Long and Sitton.

Sure would love to spend a bunch of money or high draft picks to make that happen.

Also, having a real, or even perceived threat to run the ball on those downs makes everything easier.

somthing MM never understood.

I also tend to watch wonder if AR understands this.

If every team you play against knows you are going to pass on 3rd and short, they will play pass.

I want a running game that takes what it wants on 3rd and 1-3.

This is not really relate to this topic, but I cannot remember ever seeing this discussed in any depth.

back when Favre was in his 'hay day', my brother opined that K.Warner was better than BF.

I argued until I was blue in the face, my brother stood(still does) by his opinion.

Today? I actually have started to agree with my brother.

Favre had more talent and was more physically sound, but Warner was a better and smarter QB. It is true.

what does this mean?

Rodgers has the chance to be truly special.

But, Brady is the goat until Rodgers actually gives his everything for a simple first down on a 4th and 1.

Brady has done this his entire career with crazy success.

Rodgers needs to really step up, and he is probably the most talented QB of all time..

TB has heart. He has proven it time and again. His teammates KNOW it.

it is time for Rodgers to step up to the plate.

Archived