Combine Impressions---TE and WR

Just Want A Title

TE and WR are position groups that are a big focus for the Lions.  That said:

TEs

Noah Fant:  Too fast/athletic to be covered by LBs and too big to be handled one-on-one by most cornerbacks and safeties.  If he doesn't end up on the Lions, I really hope he doesn't end up in our division

TJ Hockenson:  Pretty much as advertised.  Not as fast as Noah Fant but has good speed.  Showed his skill as a blocker also.

Adam Gentry:  Looks like a candidate to be converted to tackle

Kaden Smith:  Very disappointing combine.  He has to have a good pro day

Josh Oliver, Kahale Warring, Alize Mack and Foster Moreau:  Underrated players who had good combines.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up being drafted by the Lions

Jace Sternberger:  Pretty much as advertised.  Decent receiver who could become a solid blocker later on

Irv Smith:  Solid numbers but at 242Lbs, might be limited to an H-Back role

Caleb WIlson--Good speed but see above

WRs

I think this is a great group for what the Lions need:

DK Metcalf:  Tons of athletic talent but never put it together in college.  Could be a workout warrior.  Seems like a "boom or bust" player

Andy Isabella:  Really athletic and really fast.  I would love to see him in the slot for our team

Parris Campbell:  Really fast but may be a better fit outside than in the slot

Terry McLurin:  Has the speed and shiftiness to be awesome in the slot.  Could be successful outside also

Hakeem Butler:  Awesome size and good speed for his size.  A red-zone nightmare

Miles Boykin:  Hasn't really been receiving a lot of buzz but had a great combine.  You don't see guys that are 6'3" 220 who are able to run a 3-cone at 6.77 very often.  

Deebo Samuel:  At 5'11, 214lbs, with good size, speed and shiftiness, he will be an awesome slot WR.  He could spend some time outside also.  He would be a great addition to our receiver corps

https://steelersdepot.com/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-results-tracker/

Thoughts?

D.J. Metclaf made his money. This is Julio Jones/Megatron type athleticism. He was already a early 2nd / 1st round projection. Not saying Lions should take him but I think he firmly put himself in the 1st round. 

Noah Fant is more athletic than I thought. Obviously the forty, but he had a solid verticle too at 6'4. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

On a scale of 1-10, how happy or upset would you be if we took a guy like Hakeem Butler, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, etc. with our 2nd round pick? 1 being upset and 10 being thrilled.

think it depends on what we do in round 1. I think we have to go D on rd 1. with that said id be at a 7.

45 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That's a solid article. I feel like someone is going to take him towards the end of round 1. If you combine his injury history and these numbers, he's likely going to drop a little below what people might have expected after blowing up the 40 and some of these other drills. He's still so big and athletic that someone might take him with the intention of polishing him up.

2 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

think it depends on what we do in round 1. I think we have to go D on rd 1. with that said id be at a 7.

I'm leaning towards Butler myself if he's available in that spot. I'd probably be an 8 if we traded down in round 1 and had some extra picks.. a 6 if we busted out in FA (didn't get Flowers, didn't re-sign Ansah, etc.) and then took OL or TE in rd 1.

The one guy that is intriguing to me is Foster Moreau. He was principally used as a blocker at LSU and is arguably the best blocking TE in the draft. He has good size and showed athleticism in the drills and on field. I think he's going to be a sneaky 3rd round pick.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

The one guy that is intriguing to me is Foster Moreau. He was principally used as a blocker at LSU and is arguably the best blocking TE in the draft. He has good size and showed athleticism in the drills and on field. I think he's going to be a sneaky 3rd round pick.

That guy had a pretty good combine.  He is worth a look but I am not sure where he goes.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That guy had a pretty good combine.  He is worth a look but I am not sure where he goes.

He did pretty well at the Senior Bowl practices and he performed above average for a TE at the combine. If you look at the LSU offense, they force feed one guy and then everyone else winds up with about 20ish receptions. They also like to run the ball, which makes sense when you've had guys like Fournette and Guice in the backfield. Moreau matches up with Ebron in many ways:

Ebron

6'4. 250 lbs, 33 1/4 arms, 10" hands, 4.60 40, 24 reps on the bench, 32" Vert, 10' Broad Jump, 4.45 20 Yard Shuttle, 7.49 3 Cone

Moreau

6'4, 253 lbs, 33 1/2 arms, 9 5/8" hands, 4.66 40, 22 reps on the bench, 36.5 Vert, 10' 1" Broad Jump, 4.11 20 Yard Shuttle, 7.16 3 Cone

With all of the defensive talent and the lack of college production, he's certainly not going to be a top 10 pick like EE was. This is a guy that has the physical tools to develop into a starting TE. He's already solid at blocking and likely just needs some time to develop more as a receiver.

Archived