Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

Cowboys have had 2 years to work out a deal with Lawrence and has failed miserably. Putting the tag on Lawrence is just gonna keep him away from offseason programs and he has stated that he will prolong his surgery (SMH) till he has the guarantees. 

Does everyone remember the thread last year? There was a poll and we were all asked if we should sign DLaw long term or tag him last off season. Almost everyone voted tag.

I voted sign long term, and made the point that he would only have to hit 8 sacks in 2018 to really sky rocket his $ value. The FO agreed with most of you and tagged him.

Then Donald and Mack got signed, and DLaw posts 10.5 sacks.

And now we are in a bad situation that was absolutely predictable last year.

Edited by DaBoys

43 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Does everyone remember the thread last year? There was a poll and we were all asked if we should sign DLaw long term or tag him last off season. Almost everyone voted tag.

I voted sign long term, and made the point that he would only have to hit 8 sacks in 2018 to really sky rocket his $ value. The FO agreed with most of you and tagged him.

Then Donald and Mack got signed, and DLaw posts 10.5 sacks.

And now we are in a bad situation that was absolutely predictable last year.

I voted tag cause I was worried about his durability.

At one point I was 100% on board with a long term deal for DLaw, but now I'm not so sure. I really believe DLaw is going to cost $25m/yr. Even if he lands in the $21-23m/yr range, I'm skeptical. 

For that, I think Landon Collins/ET and Preston Smith/Za'Darius Smith/Trey Flowers could be had. Possibility a 3rd player if he's closer to the $25m mark. It's a gamble (big one) that any of those DEs can come close to replicating DLaw's production, but you significantly upgrade the secondary and a 3rd player, say Carl Davis or Stephen Shamar could help the iDL. 

Guess I'm not sure where the breaking point is with him. I'm not sure it's a slam dunk to re-sign him. I'm probably overthinking it too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

At one point I was 100% on board with a long term deal for DLaw, but now I'm not so sure. I really believe DLaw is going to cost $25m/yr. Even if he lands in the $21-23m/yr range, I'm skeptical. 

For that, I think Landon Collins/ET and Preston Smith/Za'Darius Smith/Trey Flowers could be had. Possibility a 3rd player if he's closer to the $25m mark. It's a gamble (big one) that any of those DEs can come close to replicating DLaw's production, but you significantly upgrade the secondary and a 3rd player, say Carl Davis or Stephen Shamar could help the iDL. 

Guess I'm not sure where the breaking point is with him. I'm not sure it's a slam dunk to re-sign him. I'm probably overthinking it too. 

Last year we were talkin 17... I said do it. But I'm kinda with you this year....

25 million per year for a non QB? I just don't see any way he will ever bring that much value in on a yearly basis 

Edited by DaBoys

$17M last year was never happening. $18M may have, though. They had to top the Vernon contract and they wouldn't.

Now I think he's basically asking for the Mack deal ($23.5M/yr) and we probably haven't gone past Von MIller (19M) yet. Maybe by July they can meet in the middle around 21, but I am starting to doubt that that will happen.

Edited by matt79511

40 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

$17M last year was never happening. $18M may have, though. They had to top the Vernon contract and they wouldn't.

Now I think he's basically asking for the Mack deal ($23.5M/yr) and we probably haven't gone past Von MIller (19M) yet. Maybe by July they can meet in the middle around 21, but I am starting to doubt that that will happen.

DLaw is looking at the stat sheet and seeing that he has out performed Mack in every category over the last two seasons. He obviously thinks he is better than Mack, even if he is the only one who does. But the numbers back him up. 

• I hear the concerns re the salary demands.  Upper echelon DE's are hard to find and Lawrence knows this.  If we are serious about making a run we need him signed and happy.  If I'm Lawrence, and I get franchised again I will not sign a long term deal with Dallas.  We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.  Playing with fire here.

20 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Do we want to be the Bears or the the Raiders?

Is anyone out there willing to do a tag and trade?

I think it’s well within the realm of possibility at this point. I feel like we could probably get a first for him- I'm positive we’d get more for him than Zeke.

19 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Do we want to be the Bears or the the Raiders?

Is anyone out there willing to do a tag and trade?

I am. With the cap space we have I'll trade him to the Jaguars for their 1st and 3rd this year and 2nd and 4th next year.

Then draft Ed Oliver in the first and Jeffrey Simmons at 58.The saved cap space could help us sign our own players, E.T. and a Wr like Golden Tate

What's the realistic trade value for DLaw? Mack got 2 firsts but was a former top 10 pick. I think maybe a 1st and a conditional that could accelerate to a 3rd if he hits a mark. 

Edited by DaBoys