Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

So after re-signing Witten and tagging D-Law, we're left with roughly $25M. That's basically what it'll cost to re-sign a handful of depth pieces (Tavon, Fleming, Caraun Reid, I guess), pay Dak's $50M signing bonus, sign the draft class and save 5-10M or so for in-season signings and rollover.

Hope you all enjoyed free agency

Edited by matt79511

You can't sign Dak until we know what's going to happen with JG and co. How unfair would that be to the incoming staff? He still has another year, and QBs don't hold out typically.

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

You can't sign Dak until we know what's going to happen with JG and co. How unfair would that be to the incoming staff? He still has another year, and QBs don't hold out typically.

I’m gonna go ahead and give it a 0% chance that Dak is not this team’s QB in 2020. The only reason they’re even considering getting rid of Garrett is because he hasn’t been able to get it done with Dak.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Yep new coaches in Miami have been screwed time and time again because they kept signing Tannehill to new contracts.

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

So after re-signing Witten and tagging D-Law, we're left with roughly $25M. That's basically what it'll cost to re-sign a handful of depth pieces (Tavon, Fleming, Caraun Reid, I guess), pay Dak's $50M signing bonus, sign the draft class and save 5-10M or so for in-season signings and rollover.

Hope you all enjoyed free agency

Why would they pay Dak and not pay Zeke? If anything, Zeke should get paid before Dak does. He had a 2,000 total yard season.

Edited by Tony7188

3 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

He needs surgery. He can prolong it. Get paid and miss the season. 

Good point.  I read or heard somewhere that if Lawrence got franchised he would delay his surgery and miss part or all of the season.  Who knows?  I'm hoping a deal gets worked out.

Brandon Graham just signed for $13m/year. I would 100% take Graham at $13m over Dlaw at $23m. Not even a question. 

I seriously think we need to consider trading Dlaw and picking up a 2-3 guys for a rotation. We could seriously get like Ansah, Vernon (when he is cut) and another 1st round DL (trading DLaw) for the same price as just DLaw. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Brandon Graham just signed for $13m/year. I would 100% take Graham at $13m over Dlaw at $23m. Not even a question. 

I seriously think we need to consider trading Dlaw and picking up a 2-3 guys for a rotation. We could seriously get like Ansah, Vernon (when he is cut) and another 1st round DL (trading DLaw) for the same price as just DLaw. 

You know they’re not gonna do that though. We have, what, one starter on defense that has played outside of Dallas- at the one position we give absolutely no ****s about? Stephen Jones has a framed photograph of Ted Thompson by his bedside, not Bill Belichick.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yep new coaches in Miami have been screwed time and time again because they kept signing Tannehill to new contracts.

11 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Why would they pay Dak and not pay Zeke? If anything, Zeke should get paid before Dak does. He had a 2,000 total yard season.

Why do you guys turn so many threads into an attempt to spit your ridiculous hot takes on Dak? I would love for you guys to go post these literally anywhere else on the internet and test the reactions when you guys cant pat each other on the back. Reddit NFL general would be my favorite though. The downvotes and troll posts would be funny.

Dak is a good QB and he will be our QB for another 3+ years at a minimum. Probably more like 7 years. 

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

You know they’re not gonna do that though. We have, what, one starter on defense that has played outside of Dallas- at the one position we give absolutely no ****s about? Stephen Jones has a framed photograph of Ted Thompson by his bedside, not Bill Belichick.

Some of that is circumstance though. We havent really had a lot money + we have been drafting/developing players lately. 

If tank really thinks he deserves to be at/near the highest paid player, he can go find another team and we will take a 1st rounder in return. Hell, a team like the chiefs might be willing to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Some of that is circumstance though. We havent really had a lot money + we have been drafting/developing players lately. 

If tank really thinks he deserves to be at/near the highest paid player, he can go find another team and we will take a 1st rounder in return. Hell, a team like the chiefs might be willing to do it. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just don't think our team will ever do anything like this under the Jones/Garrett regime. It would be really cold to look at the D-Law contract situation and be like "well actually we need two starting DEs and we can get them plus a pick for the same price, thanks for your service." This isn't the Patriots, this is a family business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

As much as I agree with you, I don’t see any chance it happens. Jerry wanted as “war daddy” and Lawrence has been on par with or better than every other DE. I would be totally shocked if they didn’t ante up. 

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1