Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys' contract offer "was not considered serious" by franchise tagged DE DeMarcus Lawrence.

I don't think we'll go cutthroat and take the Chandler Jones approach with him... but I am starting to doubt a deal gets done.

Bill Jones of CBS Sports suggested last night that the chasm between what we want to pay D-Law and what he wants is roughly the difference between Khalil Mack ($23.5M/year) and Danielle Hunter (14.5) contracts. If so, we can kiss his arse goodbye.

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

If their initial offer was D. Hunter $...lol. 

That would fit the trend that Dallas seems to have established (a little bit anyway), they can’t seem to find the sweet spot between overpaying and being cheap.

It was just a statistical comparison by Jones, idk what intel he has. It read like a crony tweet though

I don’t know what our offer is now but I suspect in negotiations last year it never got much higher than a deal like Hunter got

Edited by matt79511

I completely disagree with his narrative. Tagging Spencer twice and then letting him walk was the right choice. Id go as far as to say I wouldnt hate it if we tag Zeke twice and let him walk as well (assuming we continue to run him into the ground). 

It probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do it with Dlaw. The dude has health issues. Basically its a lease vs a purchase. Sometimes its okay to rent a player during their prime. 

The double tag strategy worked in those cases because those players just weren’t premier players to begin with (or played running back).

Demarcus Lawrence is arguably the best pure 4-3 end in the league and losing him would crater this defense.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Demarcus Lawrence is arguably the best pure 4-3 end in the league and losing him would crater this defense.

Cmon man, you are using the word "pure" 4-3 because the other dudes are more versatile. Out of people who play DE/Edge, he might be top 5. Maybe.

Mack

Watt

Garrett

Miller

Jones

Clark

Cam Jordan

Cambell

Clowney

Bosa

Ingram

Graham

^^^^^ All these guys could line up at the same spot as Tank and give us good production. Some of these guys are better than Tank. Some worse. Tank is probably in the top 5 of this group, but its not like the difference between him and Graham is a $10m+ difference. 

Hell - if we are talking pure pass rushing, Gregory was out playing Tank for good parts of last year. Though Tank obviously is much more stout in the run game and taking on multiple blockers. 

Edited by Matts4313

D. Lawerence got tagged which is not surprising.  What I didn't know is DL needs shoulder surgery.  Rumor is he is going to postpone surgery until a deal is done or wait and sign tag and then have surgery later.  Rehabbing during or into the season while still getting paid under the tag.  

Not sure if there is something in CBA which prohibits this tactic. 

Cowboys want him at 100% for 2019 they better move fast or demand he get his surgery somehow.  Of course waiting on surgery hurts his value to other teams should Cowboys suddenly remove the tag so it could bite him in the ***.

Interesting moves ahead by both parties.  

What do you guys think about postponing the surgery as means to accelerate negotiations?  I know you don't like it.  But thoughts and predictions? 

You're right, I cheated by calling him a pure 4-3 end to omit Miller, Mack, Clowney, Watt, Ingram, Bosa, Kerrigan, Jones, etc. You can definitely make the case that he's on the back end of the Top 10 for overall edge players though I would lean more towards Top 5.

I'm just calling BS that Ziggy Ansah or Preston Smith wouldn't be sizable downgrades. There's a reason those guys are free agents and Demarcus Lawrence is not.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

You're right, I cheated by calling him a pure 4-3 end to omit Miller, Mack, Clowney, Watt, Ingram, Bosa, Kerrigan, Jones, etc. You can definitely make the case that he's on the back end of the Top 10 for overall edge players though I would lean more towards Top 5.

I'm just calling BS that Ziggy Ansah or Preston Smith wouldn't be sizable downgrades. There's a reason those guys are free agents and Demarcus Lawrence is not.

Ansah's last 4 years are identical to Tanks, but in reverse order. Tank was hurt 2 years and then had 2 great years. Ansah has 2 great years and has barely played at all the last 2. 

Football is a what have you done for me lately league, so I understand why you say that. But if they both are playing at their peak, its pretty similar. 

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

D. Lawerence got tagged which is not surprising.  What I didn't know is DL needs shoulder surgery.  Rumor is he is going to postpone surgery until a deal is done or wait and sign tag and then have surgery later.  Rehabbing during or into the season while still getting paid under the tag.  

Not sure if there is something in CBA which prohibits this tactic. 

Cowboys want him at 100% for 2019 they better move fast or demand he get his surgery somehow.  Of course waiting on surgery hurts his value to other teams should Cowboys suddenly remove the tag so it could bite him in the ***.

Interesting moves ahead by both parties.  

What do you guys think about postponing the surgery as means to accelerate negotiations?  I know you don't like it.  But thoughts and predictions? 

Someone on another site actually posted there is a clause that if it can be proven he intentionally sabotaged his ability to play, we can technically suspend him for the games we think he will recover and not pay him. 

We wont do it, but you can do it. But no one does. 

Khalil Mack signed a 6 year, $141,000,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including a $34,000,000 signing bonus, $90,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000. In 2019, Mack will earn a base salary of $11,300,000 and a roster bonus of $4,200,000, while carrying a cap hit of $22,300,000 and a dead cap value of $46,200,000.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 4 YR, $90,946,000; $6,800,000 DEAD CAP

This is baseline.  DL should get 5%- 8% less because Mack is better.  Get it done and be done.  

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ansah's last 4 years are identical to Tanks, but in reverse order. Tank was hurt 2 years and then had 2 great years. Ansah has 2 great years and has barely played at all the last 2. 

Football is a what have you done for me lately league, so I understand why you say that. But if they both are playing at their peak, its pretty similar. 

He's also three years older than Lawrence. I hate to be the "stats don't tell the whole story" guy but they really don't with defensive end play, they can only record statistics on so many plays and they can have so much impact on plays that they don't. I think regardless of the stat totals that you'd have a hard time finding a serious evaluator of DE play that puts Ansah and D-Law in the same class now and going forward.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Someone on another site actually posted there is a clause that if it can be proven he intentionally sabotaged his ability to play, we can technically suspend him for the games we think he will recover and not pay him. 

We wont do it, but you can do it. But no one does. 

Like tweets above say.  It is now a major off season distraction and you have one of best players not preparing to be great for 2019.  Not like NFL is so easy or DL is so good he can just walk out there and be good without training and preparing.

Mack was good from day 1 after hold out, but he was training hard on his own the whole time while healthy not postponing surgery and rehab.