Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

37 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I would sign DLaw. Now. Give him a little bit less than Mack and move on. After all, once Myles Garrett, Bosa and the boys get paid it will look like a steal. Amiright?

Basically. At this point, we're five months out from preseason. He needs to get the surgery done and over with and start recovering. 

1 minute ago, D82 said:

Basically. At this point, we're five months out from preseason. He needs to get the surgery done and over with and start recovering. 

Well the real story is they should've signed him when he'd cost $17M per year, and not after Trey Flowers of all people reset the market by getting $18M per year after a breakout 7.5 sack season. The benefit of signing him now is it relieves some of the 2019 cap hit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Well the real story is they should've signed him when he'd cost $17M per year, and not after Trey Flowers of all people reset the market by getting $18M per year after a breakout 7.5 sack season. The benefit of signing him now is it relieves some of the 2019 cap hit.

You can't blame them for being iffy last year. I would have been too. He's been injuried, suspended, etc. I know people like the get hyped on the reward but this is one of those decisions I don't actually blame the FO for not pulling the trigger on.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You can't blame them for being iffy last year. I would have been too. He's been injuried, suspended, etc. I know people like the get hyped on the reward but this is one of those decisions I don't actually blame the FO for not pulling the trigger on.

I'm sure they could have worked on an incentive-type deal like they have for Lee and other players. They dropped the ball on Lawrence's deal and are facing the consequences. At this point, admit the error, pay your All-Pro DE and move on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

That’s definitely fair. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course. But that’s kind of the situation we’re in. As the cap increases and more players get overpaid, the stars will (rightfully) want to be paid at the new top of the market.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'm sure they could have worked on an incentive-type deal like they have for Lee and other players. They dropped the ball on Lawrence's deal and are facing the consequences. At this point, admit the error, pay your All-Pro DE and move on.

My ideal scenario would have been to go after Houston and Quinn and trade DLaw for a couple of 1sts. But yea at this point they just need to pay him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I've tried to find last years thread. I failed. Basically everyone in the forum wanted to tag him last year except like 3 of us. I remember arguing with the masses, as I do, that he wasn't just a one year wonder. But produced his rookie year, and 8 sacks in 7 games another year. Some people even voted to let him walk out right because the tag was to much.

But certainly this forum was very pro-Tag last season. 

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I've tried to find last years thread. I failed. Basically everyone in the forum wanted to tag him last year except like 3 of us. I remember arguing with the masses, as I do, that he wasn't just a one year wonder. But produced his rookie year, and 8 sacks in 7 games another year. Some people even voted to let him walk out right because the tag was to much.

But certainly this forum was very pro-Tag last season. 

I wholly admit I didnt feel comfortable with giving him $15-20 mil per last year.  I wanted to see him healthy again and produce another year.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I wholly admit I didnt feel comfortable with giving him $15-20 mil per last year.  I wanted to see him healthy again and produce another year.  

And the consequences of that are if he does produce another year(and he did) the price tag goes up. It wasn't a dumb move but now it's time to pay.

He sealed the playoff win against the Lions his rookie season, reeled off 8 sacks in a very short period his 2nd season, had one 14 sack season and one 10 sack season. The guy is good when he is on the field. He's proven it over and over again.

Health is a major concern, but this current injury is not a lower body injury, it's not his back, it's a shoulder, and he doesn't play QB. Probably hurts to land on QBs on the one side. Oh well. From what I understand he played through this. This isn't something that cropped up after the Rams game. He just needs surgery while he has a chance in the off season. This may make him better.

Edited by DaBoys

21 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

So its settled. DLaw is not getting traded, since no one will give up a first for a guy who is gonna have shoulder surgery and wants $23+ mil per year.  

And how do you know that? Did you call the other 31 teams to confirm it?

And, where did I say anything about a first? I said “nope” to a 2nd and a 4th.