Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Trading Lawrence puts Dallas further away from SB contention. They're sitting on a ton of cap space. They can't turn away now. They just can't.

I don't know that I'd necessarily agree with that.

If you can get two first round picks for Lawrence, sign Ansah, draft a good safety and/or 3T...I think they'd still be in a good position to compete for a SB.

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

If you can get two first round picks for Lawrence, sign Ansah, draft a good safety and/or 3T...I think they'd still be in a good position to compete for a SB.

Maybe. But, Dallas is flush with cap space. Quinn is a rental. Ansah would be too. Both injury concerns. Now you're trading away your best defensive player and arguably the best at his position the past 2 seasons to save a few million ... ie, be cheap, only to have to turn around and spend on someone else next season.  

idk....Ansah, a rookie S and rookie DT, feels like a step in the wrong direction. Can't keep pinning hopes on rentals and rookies, despite recent draft success and this year's FA haul. 

10 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Trading Lawrence puts Dallas further away from SB contention. They're sitting on a ton of cap space. They can't turn away now. They just can't.

As your earlier post indicated Dallas has a lot of cap space.  Good find.  I admit readily I am not a capologist.  Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of that space is going to go to, in no particular order, extensions for Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon Smith, and Jones.  A lot of that space is committed.  

Re Lawrence.  If it's true that we just offered to make him the highest paid 4-3 defensive end and he turned it down, how high do we go?  Terrific player but I would continue to negotiate while examining trade options. and other free agents.  Hedge your bet so to speak.

I'm not comparing the Cowboys to the Patriots or Belichick.   Far from it. Everyone thought New England was nuts when they trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders.  Turned out okay for New England.

10 hours ago, D82 said:

But they won't get two first round picks. Lawrence provides more value than anything he will realistically return in a trade at this point. Even my idea of 26 and 34 from the Colts would probably get turned down by IND

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ace throwing the ratchet clap?

tenor.gif?itemid=5543220

Ya damn right. D-Law has earned it, just pay him and get it over with. Played the prove it year on the tag. Respected leader on the D-line. A top player at a premium position in his prime and next year's cap space is hugggeeeee. Just do it. Cut the check.

• Like 1

On a semi-related note, if this opens up $5M+ for us, and we put that towards snagging Suh or McCoy, and we draft just a single DL early... you could conceivably cut Crawford at some point and still have 11 other DLs viably contending for 9 or 10 spots.

Extremely unlikely. But we’d save $15M over two years. That could go a long way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

On a semi-related note, if this opens up $5M+ for us, and we put that towards snagging Suh or McCoy, and we draft just a single DL early... you could conceivably cut Crawford at some point and still have 11 other DLs viably contending for 9 or 10 spots.

Extremely unlikely. But we’d save $15M over two years. That could go a long way.

The off field stuff has thrown a wrench into my thoughts on this a little bit, but I have trouble believing the Cowboys would willingly part with him this season. He’s a quality player up-and-down the entire defensive line. He protects us from injury at just about every position. And he’s a leader in the lockerroom. 

If I had to bet on a surprise DL cut this year, it would be Taco. 

I don't think Crawford is a quality lineman up and down the DL. Probably a quality 3T, and in Rods system he could play the 1 even. But he is below average to average on the edge. Especially lining up as the blind side edge rusher, which is primarily where he has been.  

With Dlaw getting all the attention he got 5.5 sacks. A career high. He needs to play 3T, not DE.

I do agree that he probably wont get cut though

Edited by DaBoys