Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

edit: although if he doesn’t completely fall off a cliff like Dez did, I suppose he could be tradeable. Just don’t see how we can carry a $25M cap number for him with what Dak will be costing us. Maybe we extend him again

He has a better chance of not falling off a cliff, because he doesn’t rely on Dak to get him the ball. I think he’ll be okay 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

He has a better chance of not falling off a cliff, because he doesn’t rely on Dak to get him the ball. I think he’ll be okay 

Also because his game is extremely technically refined and not mostly reliant on fleeting physical dominance

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Also because his game is extremely technically refined and not mostly reliant on fleeting physical dominance

The man has been suspended for PEDs and has to fail multiple tests to even get suspended. 

So idk if I'd hold him to that standard. Good thing we front loaded, yeah?

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/8/18299486/cowboys-news-are-dak-prescott-and-ezekiel-elliott-next-in-line-for-contract-extension

DLaw goes under the knife on Wednesday. 

Also some info on Jaylon Smith's contract/FA status being talked about in different thread..

Pretty frustrating that his recovery could bleed into the start of the season, when there was no reason for it.

As for the Jaylon thing... he may very well be a restricted free agent, but no one has explained it to my satisfaction. I just combed through the CBA, and being on the NFI list for part of the season does not alone mean his contract fails to accrue a season. He was activated off the list for 6 games, which is the requirement for tolling a contract. However, there are some weird legalese around the NFI list that is a little over my head. 

Can someone explain to me why being activated off the NFI for 6 weeks doesn't give him an accrued season?

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Pretty frustrating that his recovery could bleed into the start of the season, when there was no reason for it.

As for the Jaylon thing... he may very well be a restricted free agent, but no one has explained it to my satisfaction. I just combed through the CBA, and being on the NFI list for part of the season does not alone mean his contract fails to accrue a season. He was activated off the list for 6 games, which is the requirement for tolling a contract. However, there are some weird legalese around the NFI list that is a little over my head. 

Can someone explain to me why being activated off the NFI for 6 weeks doesn't give him an accrued season?

The only thing I can think of is that he didn't actually play a single snap. In fact, idk why they even activated him in 2016, when he was iffy to start the 2017 season. Iirc, he hadn't even beat the drop foot thing until right before the 2017 season began.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

The only thing I can think of is that he didn't actually play a single snap. In fact, idk why they even activated him in 2016, when he was iffy to start the 2017 season. Iirc, he hadn't even beat the drop foot thing until right before the 2017 season began.

I realize I’m probably beating a dead horse here that no one else cares about, and that if everyone says Jaylon is an RFA, then that’s probably right. Mostly I’m curious, and also would like to know for future cases.

Actually playing a snap is not a requirement to accrue a year on your contract. Having “full pay status” for 6 regular season games is the requirement. Jaylon was not on “full pay status” while on the NFI list, but he was on it while he was on IR. What’s not clear to me is whether he was on “full pay status” during the 3 week activation window in between those two timeframes.

If Jaylon is an RFA, then the 3 week activation window must not count, but that doesn’t seem to be explicitly stated in the CBA. 

As to the question “why activate him?”, the answer seems to be either, 1) there was no point, or 2) to do him a solid. Maybe it just got him some money, or additional pension, but didn’t make his contract toll. I’m not sure.

• Like 1

The idea of moving Taco to 3T was revived on Twitter today. I’ve always kind of liked the idea. Greg Hardy was a terror for guards when he lined up inside, using that length that almost no interior linemen can match.

It might be his best chance to stick around and make an impact in the medium term, because barring injury, he won’t get too much play as an edge rusher.

Well the way things stand it seems Taco might be important the first few games as we ease DLaw into game shape   I don’t see how DLaw will effect us signing Dak Coop and Elliot.   I don’t see Smith treating us bad when his contract comes up and we will be able to at least pay him a fair share in resign especially if what I am reading on RFA status and reasons for it. Also I think with the front load part of DLaw salary it will be easier to deal with the cap in his later years.    

In my mind now the main question is Zeke.    I do not see us offering an extension over the next two years then deciding at that time what’s left in the tank 

https://t.co/HMgiPOZCmZ

Interesting article about the negotiations.

Sometimes sports fans talk about it being a "business", with the implication that the human elements don't matter. I think this is a pretty good counterpoint. DeMarcus Lawrence really wanted to stay in Dallas, and that's main reason things didn't get really ugly and we were able to retain him.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You all see what Clark went for? 

Cant say I am not a bit jealous. 

Considering Clark is a slightly worse player, with a more checkered history.... The thought crossed my mind. But you dont trade away trench talent in his prime for three picks worth of future potential. This team is close. D-Law needed to get paid and needed to stay here.