Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

19 hours ago, matt79511 said:

It's amazing how many people are clamoring for something that has essentially no precedent here in the post-Jimmy Johnson era (selling high on a star player in his prime). We couldn't even let DeMarco Murray walk without suffering an insurmountable loss in team morale. Breaking news: Jason Garrett is not Bill Belichick.

Yeah. I laugh when people say they want to let zeke walk. Every team has a blueprint to win but if you are expecting that blueprint to work like do-it-all Bellichick you really are setting it all up for failure. He’s the only guy in the league that gets away with whatever he tries.

41 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

What I don't understand is DLaw is holding shoulder surgery over the Cowboys.   If he wants paid, why didn't he get the surgery, so other teams could know if the surgery was successful.   If the money is the priority,  it doesn't matter which team it comes from.

Because he can play with the injury. Just like he did this past season. 

23 hours ago, matt79511 said:

It's amazing how many people are clamoring for something that has essentially no precedent here in the post-Jimmy Johnson era (selling high on a star player in his prime). We couldn't even let DeMarco Murray walk without suffering an insurmountable loss in team morale. Breaking news: Jason Garrett is not Bill Belichick.

We would release DLaw outright before we traded him. Just like everyone else. Murray, Ware, Dez, Romo... you're telling me you couldn't negotiate a 7th rounder out of any of them!? No, if we were to move on from DLaw we would just release him.

Edited by DaBoys

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

We would release DLaw outright before we traded him. Just like everyone else. Murray, Ware, Dez, Romo... you're telling me you couldn't negotiate a 7th rounder out of any of them!? No, if we were to move on from DLaw we would just release him.

I mean, pretty much. It’ll probably be 3-4 years from now but yeah

I shudder to think how this locker room would react if the best player on our defense (which has slowly and steadily gotten better since bottoming out in ‘13 and hasn’t seen anyone get a long term deal since Crawford 4 years ago) got traded because we wouldn’t pay him market value while our offense (which has NOT made the same sort of steady, incremental improvements our defense has) keeps getting lavished with $100M contracts. At some point someone is going to call BS

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

LMAO. This for a guy who hasn’t come close to double digits

Their stats the last 3 years are actually pretty close, including games played. But I think Flowers is more of a run stuffer, he plays DT some too. 

Edited by Matts4313

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Their stats the last 3 years are actually pretty close, including games played. But I think Flowers is more of a run stuffer, he plays DT some too. 

By more of a run-stuffer, you mean not as productive of a pas rusher? Or do you not consider Lawrence to be a meaningfully effective run defender, either?

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

By more of a run-stuffer, you mean not as productive of a pas rusher? Or do you not consider Lawrence to be a meaningfully effective run defender, either?

100.gif?cid=3640f6095c7ed0954f6f33516ff9

WTF is wrong with you today? I didnt say anything about DLaws ability against the run - And "effective run defender, either" suggest I said something negative against his pass rushing. Which I also did not say. Can you please stop trying to put words into my mouth? 

I meant their roles on their team. I think Flowers was not used as a pure pass rusher as often.

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

:downvotes:

This is the second time today you have created your own argument, assigned it to me, and then debated it. IF you want to debate yourself, I am sure there is a mirror in your bathroom. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

100.gif?cid=3640f6095c7ed0954f6f33516ff9

WTF is wrong with you today? I didnt say anything about DLaws ability against the run. Can you please stop trying to put words into my mouth? 

I meant their roles on their team. I think Flowers was not used as a pure pass rusher as often.

I just don’t know how anyone can take you seriously when you list like 15 defensive ends you think are as good better than D-Law, then call Tyrone Crawford an “above average starter” at *all four defensive line positions*, which would require there to be less than 32 edge rushers better than him. This is a guy whose career high in QB hits from the DE position is 12.

Then you ask if I’d rather have D-Law than Martin + Frederick + a first rounder, while a few days ago putting our OL in the same sentence in Arizona’s. Is $25M for a pair of interior linemen in their late-20’s with a balky knee and an autoimmune disease supposed to be good value now? Every big contract is a risk and we are absolutely seeing that now with our OL deals which looked about as risk-free as it gets.

Then you omit our overpaid role players’ dead cap hits from the discussion of their value while implying that Lawrence would cost us $25M at any point in the near future. You KNOW that’s not how the cap works.

As the one person in this forum who’s going to great lengths to argue that we shouldn’t keep one of our very best players at a premium position, I find it worth debating you on this. But most of your points aren’t really being made in good faith, so I suppose we’re done here.