Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I just don’t know how anyone can take you seriously when you list like 15 defensive ends you think are as good better than D-Law, then call Tyrone Crawford an “above average starter” at *all four defensive line positions*, which would require there to be less than 32 edge rushers better than him. This is a guy whose career high in QB hits from the DE position is 12.

Then you ask if I’d rather have D-Law than Martin + Frederick + a first rounder, while a few days ago putting our OL in the same sentence in Arizona’s. Is $25M for a pair of interior linemen in their late-20’s with a balky knee and an autoimmune disease supposed to be good value now? Every big contract is a risk and we are absolutely seeing that now with our OL deals which looked about as risk-free as it gets.

Then you omit our overpaid role players’ dead cap hits from the discussion of their value while implying that Lawrence would cost us $25M at any point in the near future. You KNOW that’s not how the cap works.

As the one person in this forum who’s going to great lengths to argue that we shouldn’t keep one of our very best players at a premium position, I find it worth debating you on this. But most of your points aren’t really being made in good faith, so I suppose we’re done here.

You seriously need to take a breath and realize you are arguing ish I am not even saying. You are fabricating a whole bunch of bullsheet and pretending I said it. 

I never said there are 15 DE better than DLaw. You are lying. I said he is right around top 5.

There are ~64 starting DE's and ~64 starting DTs. Maybe more apropos would have been "average" at all 4 spots as he would probably be ranked somewhere in the 30's on both list. 

Our OL was pisspoor in pass blocking. How is that disputable at this point? Every analytic says they were a top 10 run blocking unit and a bottom 5 pass blocking unit. Context matters. Plus, Fredrick didnt play last year. Additionally, How are you missing the point here? You are arguing just to argue. 

What overpaid role player dead cap hit did I omit?

Lawrence cost us $17m last year and is scheduled to cost us over $20m this year. I do know how the cap works. Yeah he wont cost us $25m this year precisely, but it will be a very significant cap hit. 

And for the record, I have been very clear that I like Tank and would like to keep him. Unless he wants Mack money. If he wont budge from that, I think we should explore trades. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You seriously need to take a breath and realize you are arguing ish I am not even saying. You are fabricating a whole bunch of bullsheet and pretending I said it. 

I never said there are 15 DE better than DLaw. You are lying. I said he is right around top 5.

There are ~64 starting DE's and ~64 starting DTs. Maybe more apropos would have been "average" at all 4 spots as he would probably be ranked somewhere in the 30's on both list. 

Our OL was pisspoor in pass blocking. How is that disputable at this point? Every analytic says they were a top 10 run blocking unit and a bottom 5 pass blocking unit. Context matters. Plus, Fredrick didnt play last year. Additionally, How are you missing the point here? You are arguing just to argue. 

What overpaid role player dead cap hit did I omit?

Lawrence cost us $17m last year and is scheduled to cost us over $20m this year. I do know how the cap works. Yeah he wont cost us $25m this year precisely, but it will be a very significant cap hit. 

And for the record, I have been very clear that I like Tank and would like to keep him. Unless he wants Mack money. If he wont budge from that, I think we should explore trades. 

I at least agree with most of this

I said as good or better. You listed well over 10 guys the other day that are in the same class as him, as if the same couldn’t be said of you know, Dak. New deals often reset the market. I get that that’s not always wise but, if we were top the Mack contract for DLaw, it stands to reason that eventually Bosa, Garrett, et al will top his deal.

An integral and extremely fair part of the argument to not pay DLaw is his health. This wasn’t a factor with Smith/Frederick/Martin which helped assure them their top of the market deals. Now, as those guys age, their health is also becoming an issue. Ergo, every big contract is a risk. Romo and Dez’s injuries killed us too- should we have not paid those guys?

Moreover, in spite of their substandard play this year, I think you would have to say that those OL contracts are the best long term deals our team has done under the current CBA. Their track record at every other position is spotty, at best. So no, I honestly do not believe we could spend $25M more wisely than on DLaw.

We’ll forget about Witten, $4.2M for him is certainly doable in a world where Tyler Kroft gets 7. Hurns, Lee, and Crawford are counting $22.3M against the cap combined right now- essentially tip top of the upper boundary of what I’d pay D-Law in AAV (like the satellite on top of the skyscraper). I’m not saying those guys don’t have worth, but, really, what is the replacement value for a “versatile” (utility) D-lineman, a third LB, and a fourth receiver compared to an All-Pro defensive end? Sure, three guys is better than one- they could beat him in a game of pickup basketball. I have a hard time believing the three of them would combine for anywhere near as much money as DLaw on the open market.

At least we agree on his overall worth. I just think trading him is a nonstarter unless it’s for a Top 12 pick in this year’s draft or like the Bengals’ or Dolphins’ pick next year. Even then I fully believe it’d wreck the locker room to dump an admired veteran- a guy who was an incredibly good sport about playing on the tag last year- in his prime for a couple of outsiders. There’s a reason we never do it. Garrett could never manage it.

They screwed themselves over when they wouldn't give him Olivier Vernon money last year, which is what he was after. Then Mack reset the market for top of the line defensive ends and now we have to deal with that mistake. It's unfortunate, but hopefully they learn from it. Prices only go up as the cap continues to increase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

They screwed themselves over when they wouldn't give him Olivier Vernon money last year, which is what he was after. Then Mack reset the market for top of the line defensive ends and now we have to deal with that mistake. It's unfortunate, but hopefully they learn from it. Prices only go up as the cap continues to increase.

Which is why a deal for Dak should be done this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Lawrence reportedly at captain's workout today. Not sure if that's a sign of negotiations going well or if he's just a good leader.

I've heard a lot reports that he isn't happy but none seem to be coming straight from the horses mouth. I'm sure he wants a bigger deal than the cowboys want to give, but this disregard for FA tells me they have every intention of signing him.

Until they get a deal done  with DLaw they won't pay a guy like Justin Houston.

Edited by DaBoys

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

He's been good for a backup i'll grant you. But not for a 50 Million dollar contract with over half guaranteed.

Has it ever inhibited our ability to extend our guys or bring in a free agent? 

1 minute ago, D82 said:

A. We have gone through that multiple times already and currently with our prized DE. He counts 9 against the cap I think or 10 or something.

B. Since when do we bring in Free Agents?

2 hours ago, D82 said:

We haven’t brought in a high profile free agent in years. IIRC, we’ve been ranked 25th in free agent spending since 2013, and were ranked 30th last year. Much of that is because we gave ourselves self-inflicted wounds with bad contracts to our own players coupled with a decision to avoid free agency. 

Edited by plan9misfit