Updated: Jaguars sign Nick Foles

.Buzz

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Don't like going all in on Foles here. Interested to see guarantee but this clearly shows he's the guy imo.

Hello Hockenson.

Yeah.  It seems very much "all in" on Foles.  For the time being at least.  Think that pretty much puts to bed any sort of 1st round QB notions.  You don't give Foles that kind of money, essentially bidding against yourself as a "vote of confidence" to establish him as "The Guy" with a "starter contract"...only to turn around and undermine that by drafting a guy high.

I don't mind it.  Kinda silly that it seems we bid up our own market on him when that cap space is important.  But if he plays well, it won't matter one bit.  Also nice that it lines us up to put some other pieces around him in the draft, and not just have the situation kinda hanging and uncertain.  Just curious how married to him we are in years 3-4 of this deal, if things don't work out.  Hopefully it's got a de facto "out" built into it with the guarantees/structure.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It seems very much "all in" on Foles.  For the time being at least.  Think that pretty much puts to bed any sort of 1st round QB notions.  You don't give Foles that kind of money, essentially bidding against yourself as a "vote of confidence" to establish him as "The Guy" with a "starter contract"...only to turn around and undermine that by drafting a guy high.

I don't mind it.  Kinda silly that it seems we bid up our own market on him when that cap space is important.  But if he plays well, it won't matter one bit.  Also nice that it lines us up to put some other pieces around him in the draft, and not just have the situation kinda hanging and uncertain.  Just curious how married to him we are in years 3-4 of this deal, if things don't work out.  Hopefully it's got a de facto "out" built into it with the guarantees/structure.

50M gtd, with 46.5 being in first two years.

Essentially a 2 yr deal.

Just now, .Buzz said:

50M gtd, with 46.5 being in first two years.

Essentially a 2 yr deal.

Cool.  That's about as good as it was realistically gonna get.  We weren't gonna get him on a 1-year type deal, and it'd really undermine their projection of "confidence" in Foles as their guy anyway.  But that should be plenty easy to walk away from if we run the Foles experiment and it doesn't go well.

15 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Probably going to be T at 7, and TE with our 2nd pick.

Though if we're not going QB at 7, I kinda am tempted to swing for Hock and hope for the best

Same on the latter.

I need to watch more tape on Taylor. I think it's him or Hock.

Archived