Updated: Jaguars sign Nick Foles

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

taylors the tackle who seems to check Marrones Oline box of the top few.  kinda could see us going with cody ford as well because hed be a hell of a RG. 

Ford at 7 though? Haven't seen anyone put him that high. I like him but...

Feel like it's one of those two or possibly Metcalf, but the agility scores definitely worry me a bit on Metcalf.

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Ford at 7 though? Haven't seen anyone put him that high. I like him but...

Feel like it's one of those two or possibly Metcalf, but the agility scores definitely worry me a bit on Metcalf.

ford checks alot of the measurables Marrone likes as an OL.  plus Ford is an elite Guard Prospect who has the potential to be a good RT.  

we already have a potential RT(wether he is or isnt remains to be seen but we did invest in a 4th round pick to play RT and we also gave him some time learning LT i think). 

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Just wondering what everyone’s initial thoughts were when they heard the money in the deal.

As well as your thoughts on what you were thinking when you heard the Jags had signed Foles? Was it yes we’re going to the playoffs ect.

Initially I was not too thrilled.

Then I compared it to other QB contracts and am cool with it.

Definitely feel like 7-8 wins is a pretty likely scenario, with room for more/playoffs and maybe getting back to our level depending on our draft/the rest of the moves. Bortles last year to Foles is going to be a solid sized step up.

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Just wondering what everyone’s initial thoughts were when they heard the money in the deal.

As well as your thoughts on what you were thinking when you heard the Jags had signed Foles? Was it yes we’re going to the playoffs ect.

I wasn't shocked. Bortles was due to make around 19. Cousins is making 30. 22 is about average starter money.

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

i was like gross and thinking great there goes our chance at at a true franchise QB like Haskins. 

21 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i was like gross and thinking great there goes our chance at at a true franchise QB like Haskins. 

It'll be okay.  If Foles sucks, we'll have another chance at a "true franchise QB" in 2020 draft.  And again in the 2021 draft.  And then again in the 2022 draft.  Probably even the 2023 draft and 2024 draft will have chances at a "true franchise QB".  Likely 2025 through 2030 will have chances as well.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It'll be okay.  If Foles sucks, we'll have another chance at a "true franchise QB" in 2020 draft.  And again in the 2021 draft.  And then again in the 2022 draft.  Probably even the 2023 draft and 2024 draft will have chances at a "true franchise QB".  Likely 2025 through 2030 will have chances as well.

ya but would be nicer to have a franchise guy now with out defense mostly intact and haskins leads us into the playoffs while foles brings us to maybe 6-9 win territory. 

8 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I think my initial thoughts are mostly just lukewarm.  Kind of expected it for a while now, and don't mind the approach in general.  It's not the specific guy i would've targeted as a stopgap attempt to get this team back to something like 2017 form.  Feels like they went with Foles over some other options like Tannehill and Teddy, based on the strength of his supporting cast in Philly and where that took him record-wise.  But it's not a bad shot to take, and he should carry a swagger in here that this team badly needs on the offensive side of the ball.

Kinda scoffed at the money, considering they were essentially bidding against themselves.  Outright guffawed at the "explanation" we got out of the reporters that feels like it's probably straight from Tom and Dave.  "We have to pay him way more than we need to, so he can get respect".  9_9  So stupid.  But it's really not too different from what i expected money-wise, considering that $20M option Foles bought himself out of was probably always about the "floor" for his deal.  It's middle-of-the-road money for a starting QB and if he plays well, it won't matter one bit.  They also built it in a way that's easy enough to walk away from after 2 years if it doesn't go well, so that's good.

Overall, i feel like my optimism level about this is hurt more by them releasing Gipson than anything else.  And how much that undermines my confidence in this defense's ability to bounce back to 2017 form.

Just have to understand that if this Foles thing is going to work, they're going to need to surround him with a great OLine, running game, receiving weapons that suit what he needs...and have that defense rebound to a dominant level.  Harder to see that happening for the defense now that they're not only fighting father time, lost two important contributors from the DLine...and now have pulled the pin on the 3rd most important piece of our much vaunted secondary.

Looking at his contract now though, the FO did a great job as we can cut ties 2 years into it with almost no money owed. If it took an extra mil or 2 to have that freedom, it's all good. Also, maybe, hear me out on this, the FO doesn't see any franchise QBs in this draft...

8 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

ya but would be nicer to have a franchise guy now with out defense mostly intact and haskins leads us into the playoffs while foles brings us to maybe 6-9 win territory. 

Our defense isn't going to be "mostly intact" after 2019 though.  And when it comes to the 2019 season, i may not be a bigtime Foles booster...but i have a lot more confidence in him giving us even enough play to let the surrounding cast carry us to the playoffs, than a rookie QB coming off 1 year of starting in an Urban Meyer offense.

Long-term, sure...no question, it's not even a fair comparison.  But this defense is going to get blowed the heck up in a year, or two at most.  It's pretty much unavoidable...in 2020-21, they're going to have to do some absolutely massive retooling to this defense as guys age/price themselves out.

47 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

But this defense is going to get blowed the heck up in a year, or two at most.  It's pretty much unavoidable...in 2020-21, they're going to have to do some absolutely massive retooling to this defense as guys age/price themselves out.

I don’t expect Yannick, Jack, or Ramsey to be paid until after this season because if they don’t make the playoffs. If the barely miss at 9-7 it may change things in favor of Marrone but if it looks a lot like last year it’s done. This team will look drastically different in 2020.

7 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I don’t expect Yannick, Jack, or Ramsey to be paid until after this season because if they don’t make the playoffs. If the barely miss at 9-7 it may change things in favor of Marrone but if it looks a lot like last year it’s done. This team will look drastically different in 2020.

Even if they do some winning this year, it'll probably look pretty different in 2020 by necessity.

Jalen has made it pretty clear he doesn't intend to play on a 5th year option.  So he and Yan are going to get massive raises.  Which probably means Bouye is gone, or close to it.  Maybe Telvin as well, depending on how he plays this year.  Myles Jack will also need a new contract.  And our 2nd best player in Calais will be like...34 at that point, and not getting any younger.  You might be able to stave things off for 2020, but by 2021...substantial retooling of that defense is gonna have to happen.

But yeah...if this Foles experiment doesn't work and we miss the playoffs and finish with another poor record, we're probably looking at a major housecleaning in the front office and coaching staff.  Probably heading right back into a "rebuild" phase again.  Would expect massive changes.

Archived