Jags to sign Nick Foles

vike daddy

4 hours ago, pwny said:

They need two, maybe even three, starting caliber OL 

I know the group was largely injured last year, but you can do much worse than Linder-Norwell-Cann, no?

The tackles are booty, though. You got me. I just thought the interior was pretty solid on paper.

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I know the group was largely injured last year, but you can do much worse than Linder-Norwell-Cann, no?

Cann is a Free Agent and I don’t see them bringing him back with the cap situation. I’d also expect them to move on from Parnell this year.

The maybe 3 part was because I think with Linder’s frequent injuries (he’s been in the league 5 years and has never played 16 games), you almost have to have a borderline starter behind him until he can show he can stay healthy. Shatley is good in that role, but being a Free Agent, I think there's a good chance he finds a deal with a team where he can at least challenge for a full time starting role.

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The tackles are booty, though. You got me. I just thought the interior was pretty solid on paper.

I expect they’ll roll with Cam Robinson this year. He showed enough promise as a rookie and before his injury that they’ll want to give him another chance. It may be that they move him to RT where a lot of people think he’s better suited if they can find a LT in the draft, but I don’t expect that he’s a piece they’ll move on from entirely this year. 

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Foles should be better for them. They will need more guys on offense though. 

Dede Westbrook is probably their best wr going into next year.

Hopefully Lee comes back 100%, Cole learns that WRs are supposed to catch and Chark takes a big step forward

If that sounds like alot to ask...its because it is

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I believe in Marrone until proven otherwise. Part of Marrone's bad rep stems from him extending a middle finger to the Bills' front office a few years ago--in a situation that would have had many of us doing the same thing...

I dont even remember what happened there its been so long, care to fill me in?

1 hour ago, pwny said:

The offense last season was bad before the injuries. Jags fans really need to quit using them as an excuse for everything that happened to the offense last year.

The 2017 offense was 19th in DVOA, so it wasn't that good. They just got put in great situations by the defense, which won't be as good in 2019 after they get done shedding contracts for cap space, and got lucky playing some bad defenses. It also featured Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon, and Corey Grant at RB, Marcedes Lewis at TE, Allen Hurns at WR, AJ Cann and Jeremy Parnell on the OL; all who won't be on next year's team. Not to mention that the 2017 team had injuries too, and the 2019 offense looks like it will likely have no depth that can help the offense sustain an injury as they sustained in 2017 when ARob went down.

I said 2017 was functional. I never said it was great. It was functional with Bortles, and Foles at least can produce Bortles 2017 performance and major upgrade from 2018 Bortles.

Grant was under used in 2017. Yeldon was rarely used though I'll agree Ivory was underappreciated that year.

Hurns missed most of the season and/or was banged up and really didn't produce. Let's not try and revise history here; Cole, Lee, and even Dede had bigger moments that season than Hurns.

I'm not sure Cann and/or Parnell will be gone for sure. Marrone brought up AJ...unsolicited, at the end of the season. And while $4M is overpay for Parnell, it's not exactly ridiculous for a starting tackle.

There's some cap issues and depth issues, but the release of Church, Hyde (likely), Malik (possibly), the restructure of Dareus and possibly Calais already solves most of the salary issues (barring some ridiculous offer for Foles).

And since they likely wouldn't trade up for a QB, we will be able to use our 4 draft picks in the 1st 3 rounds to add depth/fill holes.

The TE is a hole, but this is a deep draft and Lewis for some reason is being glorified when everyone was basically looking for his replacement 2 years before we let him go. He barely even saw the field in GB much less made any impact there.

35 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Are they going to run his system? If not it’s a pointless signing. 

I think it’s safe to say Joe DeFilippo will run the same system he was helping Nick Foles run, yes. 

51 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Let's not try and revise history here

I'm only snipping this part out, because this is really the only part that needs to be snipped out. There's no revising history being done here. Combined, those players lost between 2017 and now account for 2,200 yards of offense PLUS ARob, plus Marcedes' blocking ability, plus players on the OL either being gone or regressing. That's 2,200 yards, plus blocking ability that needs to be accounted for in order to suggest that 2019 can get back to the 2017 version of being "functional". Not good, mind you - we're just talking top 20 functional.

Even if you factor in Dede's growth since then and pair it with the addition of Chark, once you count that against the regression of Cole, you're still looking for talent that can account for 2,000 yards of offense. And then this is before factoring in that you probably need to add another 500 yards worth of provisional injury replacement yards and it might be even worse than that if we get another 2018 out of Fournette. And again, this all before whatever needs on the OL need to be addressed.

Archived