Jags to sign Nick Foles

vike daddy

this is so annoying because i like nick foles a lot and now i have to hate him

also because this is the end of an era of blake bortles being guaranteed to play like steaming **** against the titans, but i suppose that was happening in any case

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is so annoying because i like nick foles a lot and now i have to hate him

also because this is the end of an era of blake bortles being guaranteed to play like steaming **** against the titans, but i suppose that was happening in any case

You will regret this in 3 years when Blake Bortles is the heir to Brady and Plays under alliterative bro Bill Belichick. This will give BB another 3 Super Bowls minimum while the rest of the AFC is forced to watch Super Bowl commercials from their couch. 

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Are they going to run his system? If not it’s a pointless signing. 

i never get this. what exactly is this 'system'? Calling good plays at the right times? There wasn't some magical system that the eagles ran last year. RPO's sure but half the league are running these now. he can make all the throws  but much like almost any qb, needs to be surrounded by at least competent skill players and coaching. 

the best 'system' to support Nick is a good run and screen game. 

11 hours ago, pwny said:

I'm only snipping this part out, because this is really the only part that needs to be snipped out. There's no revising history being done here. Combined, those players lost between 2017 and now account for 2,200 yards of offense PLUS ARob, plus Marcedes' blocking ability, plus players on the OL either being gone or regressing. That's 2,200 yards, plus blocking ability that needs to be accounted for in order to suggest that 2019 can get back to the 2017 version of being "functional". Not good, mind you - we're just talking top 20 functional.

Even if you factor in Dede's growth since then and pair it with the addition of Chark, once you count that against the regression of Cole, you're still looking for talent that can account for 2,000 yards of offense. And then this is before factoring in that you probably need to add another 500 yards worth of provisional injury replacement yards and it might be even worse than that if we get another 2018 out of Fournette. And again, this all before whatever needs on the OL need to be addressed.

Hurns had 39 catches and 484 yards on a dismal 12.4 ypc in 2017. Ivory had 382 yards on another dismal 3.4 ypc. Lewis had 318 yards, 62 of which (and 3 of his 5 TDs) came in one game where Baltimore completely got stream rolled in London

2000 yards sounds like a lot when you package it the way you packaged it, but none of the things these players brought to the table that season is irreplaceable.

You bringing up arob is just another example. Why? he played one series in 2017. He had zero production that season, so why are you even factoring him in?

And the glorification of Lewis, again. His blocking had already started to go down and was no longer the dominant blocker he used to be. And he was still a to-do receiver and did absolutely nothing but warm the bench in GB.

We're not replacing Fournette here (which btw, we had to do from 2018 to 2017 since he practically missed half the season).

The big loss is probably Yeldon' s ability to receive in 3rd downs along with his blocking. But RBs are found everywhere in the NFL (though I'll concede that Dave Caldwells rb decisions leaves a lot to be desired).

No one is saying the offense is great. And yeah there are holes especially at TE when that's a major weapon that foles used when he was successful. But to say that IF healthy that this group can't at least be on the same level as 2017 because of some revisionist glorified opinions of players that left (Ivory, Hurns, and Lewis barely made an impact with their respective teams after leaving us, btw...) is just crazy.

I know tampering exists on all sides but it's still kinda weird that everyone knows not just that Foles is going to the Jags but that they also know how much they're going to pay him a full week before free agency is supposed to start, right?

Is it just because he's a QB that people feel more comfortable leaking that info ahead of time? Surely it's not the only deal that has already been agreed upon. 

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

2000 yards sounds like a lot when you package it the way you packaged it, but none of the things these players brought to the table that season is irreplaceable.

Show me where in the Jaguars offense they can reasonably bank on getting an extra 500 yards out of the players currently on the roster. They don't have 10 guys who can get an extra 200 yards each or 5 that can get 400 or what have you. They literally have to find 2000+yards of offense in new players. Good luck if you truly believe that in one offseason Dave Caldwell will find 5 guys that can average 400 yards between them.

You bringing up arob is just another example. Why? he played one series in 2017. He had zero production that season, so why are you even factoring him in?

Are you banking on the Jaguars having 0 injuries in 2019? Otherwise, when we're talking about predicting production, you need to factor in that guys will get hurt and you need people to step up into roles. If Lee gets hurt again, as he has every year except 2016, there goes up to another 700 yards of production lost that you have to find. Or should we just bank that everyone is healthy and then blame injuries when the first one derails our entire season again as we did in 2018?

We're not replacing Fournette here (which btw, we had to do from 2018 to 2017 since he practically missed half the season).

Really? There's no chance the guy who has had an injury every year dating back to college will have another injury? He's just guaranteed to hit 1,000 yards this year? And yes, I know we replaced his production this year. With TJ Yeldon, Corey Grant (limited) and Carlos Hyde. And where are those players going to be in 2019? All on a different team. So who's gonna step up when Fournette misses another 4 or more games? David Williams?

Feel kind of bad for Nick if Jags draft a QB (which they should). Broncos would have been nice for him, some weapons and would at least get a full season most likely. If there's a 1st rounder behind him and he's struggling, they'll obviously pull him in a second. I think he is a guy who plays better when he can play loose, of course that level of comfort (ie when you're the backup stepping in or your backup is Mark Sanchez) is just not something you can expect in the NFL.

With their defense they don't need Foles to be great or anything, so I do like that he is on a team that should have playoff aspirations considering they are only a year removed from AFCC.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I know tampering exists on all sides but it's still kinda weird that everyone knows not just that Foles is going to the Jags but that they also know how much they're going to pay him a full week before free agency is supposed to start, right?

Is it just because he's a QB that people feel more comfortable leaking that info ahead of time? Surely it's not the only deal that has already been agreed upon. 

"Tampering" is actually legal at the Combine. Seriously.

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Looking at first glance I'm not sure they'd be able to afford him. That would be A LOT of $$$ tied into the QB position as well.

It also makes just very little sense rn. The Jags are one year removed from almost going to a SB. The Redskins are a lifetime removed. It makes no sense for them to tie up like $50 million plus in one position when they're unlikely to be anywhere near competitive anyway

Archived