Combine Impressions--Edge/Defensive Line

Just Want A Title

The strength of this draft was supposed to be the D-Line and the combine bears that out.  I was pretty blown away by some of the numbers guys put up.  There is so much goods stuff, it is easier to start with the disappointing guys:

Jachai Polite:  weighed in at 258 but ran a 4.84 40.  Unless he was injured, I see him moving to OLB and slimming down 240-245.

Jalen Jelks:  He had a terrible combine, especially for this draft class

Charles Omenihu:  Had decent split but his 40 was not so great.  Still, for the type of player he is, it may not affect his grade too much if he runs better at his pro day.

Dre'Mont Jones:  Surprisingly slow 40 times after weighing it at 280Lbs.

There was so many awesome workouts I don't know where to start.  That said:

Montez Sweat:  Needs to get stronger but running a 4.41 40 and having his length along with his production puts him in the top 10 in my opinion

Dexter Lawrence:  6'4", 342, 34.75 inch arms, 36 reps @225, and ran a 5.05 40.  I know we need edge rushers but guys like him are pretty rare.  The Haloti Ngata comparisons seem pretty appropriate.  He could be legitimate game-wrecker.  

Rashan Gary:  6'4", 277 34" arms and ripped of a official 40 time of 4.58.  Still needs to get stronger like a lot of guys coming out of college but has immense upside

Khalen Saunders:  Ran a 5.01 40 at 6'0 and 324Lbs and moves like a DE.  May not go in Round 1 but won't last long in Round 2.  

Quinnen Williams:  Running a 4.83 at 303Lbs pretty much cements his top 5 status

Christian Wilkins:  Any other year, he would be lock to go in the top 10.  A high character guy with good combine numbers and consistently good production in multiple D-line roles.  Yet another guy I would love to have in a Lions uniform.

Renell Wren:  A Christian Wilkins clone without the college production.  He obviously has the physical ability to be a good player but the lack of production in college is a real concern.

Based on the shear number of quality edge and interior lineman available, the Lions could trade back and still get a really talented player.  Having extra picks in rounds 2 and 3 would be huge in this draft.  Thoughts?

After seeing him put to rest the lack of athleticism stuff and seeing how fluid he moved in the drills if we don't a pass rusher at 8 I would love to see Winovich taken in the 2nd if he's still there (which everyone seems to think he will be.. Personally I'm not so sure), think he'd be a great fit as a rusher in our 3-4 look

There was some ridiculous displays of athleticism throughout the day. QB's will always push other guys down the board and there's a ton of talent in the draft. I would prefer to trade down and grab some extra picks in a deep draft. There is no question there will be some very talented guys available in rounds 2 and 3.

Cornerbacks

Not a great class but there seems to be a lot of solid guys:

Greedy Williams:  He may be a little light but he is fast and fluid

Rock Ya SIn:  Good size, decent speed but doesn't seem to be very fluid

Deandre Baker:  Disappointing that he didn't run the three-cone.  He may drop further than most people think

Amani Orunlye:  Good size and 3-cone but might end up at safety

David Long:  He had a surprisingly good workout

Lonnie Johnson:  He has awesome size and fluidity.  I am really interested to see how he mirrors against real receivers

Safeties

This is a pretty good class but right now we need #3/developmental safety

Jonathan Abram/Juan Thornhill:  Really solid prospects who should start pretty quickly

Chauncey Gardener-Johnson:  Another really good FS prospect

Amani Hooker:  See above

Will Harris:  Surprising numbers warrants a closer look.  Definitlely a #3 safety candidate for the Lions

Archived