Someone had to make an Anti-Montez Sweat Thread

MistaBohmbastic

Do you like Montez Sweat  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Montez Sweat

@MistaBohmbastic your going toe to toe with Tony Grossi over NFL draft coverage? hahahahaha

Listen, I know hes beeen around a while but hes an embarrassment when it comes to his actual knowledge of football and prospects and I am 100% certain more than 1/2 the Browns FF message board are more qualified to talk about draft prospects than Grossi is. I had to literally listen to him on KNR last year voice his displeasure of Baker Mayfield being a running QB ala Johnny. Which I tweeted at him posting actual carries per game college numbers between Baker, Wentz, Cam, Johnny, Wilson, ect. Grossi chose not to respond.

Heres a thing to win your debate. Take the top 10 NFL draft prospects in this draft and ask Grossi to name 1 pro/con of each player. Thats where you win the argument.

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

And that's why we have this thread. Because I think you're wrong. Your perception of his "production" ain't exactly spot on, either. 

Me?  Hilarious.

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

But that's okay, not everyone be hip with the Sachi-lytics ;)

Idiot confirmed. 

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

And that's why we have this thread. Because I think you're wrong. Your perception of his "production" ain't exactly spot on, either. 

But that's okay, not everyone be hip with the Sachi-lytics ;)

Talkin Draft Episode 6 with @ACDC_Rocks024 and Tony Grossi recording tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait.

EDIT - Maybe I just wanted to practice before Tony and I go at it tomorrow. Maybe not.

My whole point with this is that Sweat has the lowest pass rush upside of the bunch. I think way lower than the other first round rushers and definitely lower than Omenihu's as well. That difference, at least for now, was clear in Mobile.

Lol what are you talking about.

in 2 seasons as a starter he had 22.5 sacks and 30 TFL. That’s just as good of production as most. His tape is solid, he did very well and took to coaching at the senior bowl, and destroyed the combine. He’d be a solid pick if he’s there at 17. He’s not a blue chip pass rusher but no one ever said he was.

How about we let Mr. Dorsey do the scouting? If he thinks Sweat is worthy of our 17th pick I will bow down to the man. After last year where I was one of the biggest Mayfield haters I know Dorsey will forget more then I will ever know about scouting. Shout out to @DizzyDean who I mocked like a jerk last year and he was 100% correct about Baker, so I salute you Dizzy and I also bow down to your vast knowledge on the subject. By the way where the heck is @DizzyDean?

11 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

How about we let Mr. Dorsey do the scouting?

Makes for a slow day on a discussion board...

If he thinks Sweat is worthy of our 17th pick I will bow down to the man. After last year where I was one of the biggest Mayfield haters I know Dorsey will forget more then I will ever know about scouting.

I have a much higher opinion of myself 😂 

Shout out to @DizzyDean who I mocked like a jerk last year and he was 100% correct about Baker, so I salute you Dizzy and I also bow down to your vast knowledge on the subject. By the way where the heck is @DizzyDean?

Why would you bring him up? Things have been so nice...

Btw, he also said Brock Osweiler was the answer at QB 2 years ago.

I’d rather have Sweat than Burns. He looks the part and does have production.

Im not an expert and maybe he won’t work out, but you can’t hold against him playing by Simmons. If that were the case, eliminate anyone who plays for Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson on the DL. 

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

@MistaBohmbastic your going toe to toe with Tony Grossi over NFL draft coverage? hahahahaha

Listen, I know hes beeen around a while but hes an embarrassment when it comes to his actual knowledge of football and prospects and I am 100% certain more than 1/2 the Browns FF message board are more qualified to talk about draft prospects than Grossi is. I had to literally listen to him on KNR last year voice his displeasure of Baker Mayfield being a running QB ala Johnny. Which I tweeted at him posting actual carries per game college numbers between Baker, Wentz, Cam, Johnny, Wilson, ect. Grossi chose not to respond.

Heres a thing to win your debate. Take the top 10 NFL draft prospects in this draft and ask Grossi to name 1 pro/con of each player. Thats where you win the argument.

You're not going to change the industry by telling people who are already in the industry why they're wrong. I'm going to present the facts, dispute his "logic," and let the chips fall where they may.

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Lol what are you talking about.

in 2 seasons as a starter he had 22.5 sacks and 30 TFL. That’s just as good of production as most. His tape is solid, he did very well and took to coaching at the senior bowl, and destroyed the combine. He’d be a solid pick if he’s there at 17. He’s not a blue chip pass rusher but no one ever said he was.

See this is the false production I'm talking about. I don't think I can describe it in better detail than this tweet:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/1102303618680700930

But this just reassures what I see in Sweat. That's not what I want in an edge at 17 for the Browns. I want a guy who can defend the run, yes. I also want a guy with massive upside as a pass rusher. Sweat is the least promising of the first round bunch as a rusher. Look at his so called "production," more often than not he's either bullying a mediocre lineman, has a free pass to the QB, or reaps the benefits of Jeffery Simmons collapsing the pocket and the QB having nowhere to go.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’d rather have Sweat than Burns. He looks the part and does have production.

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

11 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

Sweat is clearly more physically developed than Burns. That's really not debatable at this point, which is what I was saying. He's right now not strong/physical enough to be a dependable guy in the run game, but right now you're buying the upside with him and what you think that he can do when he bulks up...he definitely needs to continue to do so. 230 is laughably undersized. We'll see if that 21 pounds he gained going into the combine sticks or not.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Sweat is clearly more physically developed than Burns. That's really not debatable at this point, which is what I was saying. He's right now not strong/physical enough to be a dependable guy in the run game, but right now you're buying the upside with him and what you think that he can do when he bulks up...he definitely needs to continue to do so. 230 is laughably undersized. We'll see if that 21 pounds he gained going into the combine sticks or not.

I mean, he seemed to carry it well at the combine and he’s only 20 so he’s years away from his “man body”.

I’m gonna be fence sitter extraordinaire and say I’d be thrilled with either.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, he seemed to carry it well at the combine and he’s only 20 so he’s years away from his “man body”.

I’m gonna be fence sitter extraordinaire and say I’d be thrilled with either.

Right, like I was trying to say, it boils down to this:

1. If you draft either Sweat or Burns, you're betting on the upside. Both have some production with some obvious deficiencies at points. To say that one guy is "clearly" better than the other is one sided and unfair.

2.If you like Sweat, you like his physical ability and upside. He's a freak athletically. He also doesn't have that "WOW" tape in college. If you like Burns, you like his youth, ability to put on weight, and his pass rushing production. You also believe that added weight won't diminish his athleticism and he'll be able to "figure out" his run game deficiencies. 

3. If you hate either, you're seeing only the deficiencies

IMO, usually pick #17, you get a flawed prospect like either of these guys...I realize that we've picked in the TOP 5-10 so often, usually you get the "blue chip prospects", but down in that range, this is what we typically look at. Sure, it's possible a guy falls, but it's not usually the case.

JMHO

Sweat isn't great as a pass rusher. He's extremely underdeveloped in that area.

People look at his size and think he's some terror off the edge that can't set an edge, but he's actually kind of the opposite. He's very physical despite his size and plays genuinely elite gap-sound football. He does get engulfed at times, but he's pretty good at making himself skinny to avoid getting pwned into the dirt every play.

He's a better pure football player than he's being given credit for, but he isn't the pass rusher that his numbers would indicate. I'd be happy with his selection at #17, but don't count on him being a stud pass rusher right out of the gate. DO expect him to be a violent edge setter and excellent overall player from day 1 though.

Archived