Someone had to make an Anti-Montez Sweat Thread

MistaBohmbastic

Do you like Montez Sweat  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Montez Sweat

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Sweat isn't great as a pass rusher. He's extremely underdeveloped in that area.

People look at his size and think he's some terror off the edge that can't set an edge, but he's actually kind of the opposite. He's very physical despite his size and plays genuinely elite gap-sound football. He does get engulfed at times, but he's pretty good at making himself skinny to avoid getting pwned into the dirt every play.

He's a better pure football player than he's being given credit for, but he isn't the pass rusher that his numbers would indicate. I'd be happy with his selection at #17, but don't count on him being a stud pass rusher right out of the gate. DO expect him to be a violent edge setter and excellent overall player from day 1 though.

Agree with this.  He's crazy fast, but didn't change direction very well from the cut-ups I saw.  Really good run defender. He's a good player; I just think we can get someone better at #17.

17 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Horseunit that was an awful game for him. He looked like Emmanuel Ogbah.

I think Ogbah is almost a good comparison for Sweat. Although Sweat is a significantly better athlete and a more consistent football player. But both will serve the same purpose for us, with Sweat having the elite pass rush upside attached to it.

43 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Ogbah is almost a good comparison for Sweat. Although Sweat is a significantly better athlete and a more consistent football player. But both will serve the same purpose for us, with Sweat having the elite pass rush upside attached to it.

So Barkevious XL & Barkevious XXL.

56 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think omenihu is a better comparison for Ogbah. A slower, should be a DT version of Ogbah.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ogbah was heavier, Sweat was taller. Sweat did better in the agility drills, explosion/speed drills were very close to even across the board (via mockdraftable webs). I think Sweat is a better athlete, but it's not like a massive difference. I too like the Ogbah/Sweat comps.

Seriously, why is everyone so anti-Ogbah? Like, he could be upgraded on for sure, but I see people trading him in mocks for like freaking 4th round picks. That's crazy to me. Worst case scenario (imo) he's a well above-average 3rd DE. And when we want to be rotating rushers regularly, I think that has solid value.

54 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Mingo is the obvious comparison, but they aren't really similar. Mingo wasn't ever an effective run defender. Sweat excels in that area.

I remembered Mingo being all twitchy and him being drafted to pass rush...but then it was tough because he was pretty decent overall at everything BUT pass rushing(?).

Full disclosure, DL I'd still prefer over Sweat (in no particular order) are:

Bosa

Williams

Oliver

Gary

Ferrell

Wilkins

So, I'd bet on at least 1 of those 6 falling to us...and if one of those guys do, I'll be right there with you saying "I'd have rather had ___________________".

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm putting it in Dorsey's hands, if he deems him worthy to take at #17, I fully believe he is going to be a force we've been looking for opposite of Garrett

Exactly.

If Dorsey wants him, sign me up.

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Seriously, why is everyone so anti-Ogbah? Like, he could be upgraded on for sure, but I see people trading him in mocks for like freaking 4th round picks. That's crazy to me. Worst case scenario (imo) he's a well above-average 3rd DE. And when we want to be rotating rushers regularly, I think that has solid value.

Exactly. He became the scapegoat for a lot of our problems despite being our base end. He's a solid starting DE that could definitely be improved upon, but some people are acting like he's a complete scrub. It's simply not true at all and it's kinda frustrating. Plus he's still young and has a lot of upside. I'd look for an upgrade, but I'm not shipping Ogbah out for nothing. He'd be one of the top 4-5 DE's taken in this draft class even with the benefit of hindsight.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Ogbah was heavier, Sweat was taller. Sweat did better in the agility drills, explosion/speed drills were very close to even across the board (via mockdraftable webs). I think Sweat is a better athlete, but it's not like a massive difference. I too like the Ogbah/Sweat comps.

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Exactly. He became the scapegoat for a lot of our problems despite being our base end. He's a solid starting DE that could definitely be improved upon, but some people are acting like he's a complete scrub. It's simply not true at all and it's kinda frustrating. Plus he's still young and has a lot of upside. I'd look for an upgrade, but I'm not shipping Ogbah out for nothing. He'd be one of the top 4-5 DE's taken in this draft class even with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm not a full-on hater (I actually was a big supporter for the first two seasons), but I will say that I 100% understand where the hate is coming from.  I would definitely trade Ogbah for a mid/high 4th rounder, based on what can be logically surmised of the situation.  Ogbah has been talked about favorably by the FO and coaches, and he has started consistently.  He is good at stopping the run.  For those reasons, I think his asking price is no less than $7 mil/year.  I just don't want to give the guy 4/$28-36.  I think he is indeed a great rotational guy but not an impact starter.  His insane numbers did not translate to the field.  He is in a contract year.  If Landry got traded for so little, why should Ogbah be traded for/or valued as more?  Ogbah doesn't suck, but he does not get to the QB; his TFL, pressures, sacks and fumbles are all meh.  The team got ran all over and he also had the benefit of being across from Myles getting double-teamed, yet his stats were abysmal.  I don't think we should cut the guy, but what value is there in keeping him at a high dollar value when he is a very forgettable starter.  DEs are getting overpaid, so why not just get the comp pick.

Yeah, maybe I am a full-on hater xD.

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Ogbahs problem is that he’s shown zero improvement since his rookie year. I’d love to have 2 blazing fast defensive ends.

The problem is combine speed doesn't necessarily translate to game speed.

Ogbah was a combine hero and was a blazing fast defensive end.

He ran a 4.63 at the combine at 273 pounds.  He ran a hundredth of a second faster than Myles Garrett at 1 pound heavier.

I would love to have a DT with the explosion off the ball that Myles has to disrupt the middle and let Garrett and Ogbah and whoever else we have on the ends can feast...

Getting off the ball real fast and racing around the tackles but letting the QB step up into a clean pocket is exactly the problem we had last year, because Avery was GREAT at getting around fast...

Archived