Packfanfb's "Almost" Post-Combine Mock Off-season

packfanfb

Still one more day of the Combine to go, but I've seen enough. Cap has been set, I think we're at around $35 million currently

Cuts

Perry -- Packers discuss a restructuring with Perry but it just doesn't get done. They designate him as a post-June 1 cut to save the maximum amount for 2019

Williams -- Packers move on and save about $4.7 mil by letting Tramon walk

Free Agency

Packers have around $45 million after cuts

1. Breeland -- 3/21m (2019 cap hit $6m)

2. Wilkerson - 1/3.5m (2019 cap hit $3.5m)

Bring back the RFAs and ERFAs (except Brice who isn't tendered) 

Packers have around $25-$30m to spend on outside FAs: 

Initial Plan: Packers are in on both Earl Thomas and Landon Collins early and we see countless Tweets about the Packers being a real player for each of these guys. However, ultimately, Thomas signs with Dallas and Collins signs with Indianapolis who has $1 billion in cap space. 

New Plan: Packers go all-in on the EDGE market with goal to hit on 2 high-end EDGE players. 

1. Za'Darius Smith -- EDGE -- 4/52m (2019 cap hit $11m)

636598489701610650-Za-Darius-Smith-AP-2.

My No. 1 EDGE excluding the likely franchised players and Trey Flowers who's going to get like $17m/year. Smith is an absolute animal and brings a nasty presence to the EDGE position. I thought Smith may come a bit cheaper than $13m/year, but given what Graham just got, and with several EDGE guys likely to be franchised, Smith's price will go up. Gotta pay to play. 

2. Anthony Barr -- EDGE -- 4/45m (2019 cap hit $9m)

865112884.jpg.0.jpg

Since the Packers struck out on Thomas/Collins as SAF, they decide to double-dip at EDGE. I could be wrong, but I think Barr will come at a "slight" discount (meaning about $10-11m/yr instead of $13-14m/yr) simply because he hasn't played a ton of EDGE in his career; rather, he was used off the ball by Minny. Packers plan to use him at his natural position to form an instant 1-2 punch with him and Smith (a 1-2.5 punch if you count Sackrell as well).  

3. Tre Boston -- SAF - 3/16m (2019 cap hit $5m) 

usatsi_10498813.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Boston would be a fine consolation prize having missed out on Thomas and Collins. He's a vet who can man the deep safety position and played well last year with Arizona in that role. Instantly becomes a veteran leader in the safety room. 

4. Quinton Spain -- OG -- 3/10m (cap hit $3m)

hi-res-3e72c4bde3282a11b3cc575e5a9e3959_

With a little room left in the budget, the Packers address the RG position by bringing over Spain who played with LaFleur last year. SF just resigned Mike Person to a 3yr/9m deal, so I figure that's a pretty good indicator of what Spain will cost. He's not a super-star OG, but better than what we currently have and you can pencil him in as a day-1 starter to fill that hole. 

Draft

Round 1, Pick 12 - Devin White -- ILB (LSU)

5c7c325eaf61d.image.jpg?resize=1200,1029

Pick 12 rolls around and White is still on the board. Oliver, Burns and Sweat are gone, Ferrell is still there, but with the Packers alleviating the EDGE need through an aggressive FA, they are completely free to take the Best Player Available and it's White. He's a 3-down, sideline-to-sideline linebacker that this defense hasn't had in years. Easy choice. 

2. Round 1, Pick 30 -- Chauncey Gardner-Johnson -- SAF (Florida) 

1048042402.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

At pick 30, the Packers get their safety to pair with Boston. CGJ can do a little bit of everything and really improved his game in 2018 as an all-around safety. My favorite play of his was against my Maize and Blue in the Peach Bowl this past year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQZJ6IL-_k 

3. Round 2, Pick 44 -- Deebo Samuel -- WR (SC) 

article-711x399-80053fa0ad2d9313d002404f

Think Randall Cobb on steroids. Samuel is a no-brainer for me at 44. Been pumping him up for a while and he posted a solid combine, which solidifies the pick at 44. A plug-and-play rookie who can work in the slot and replaces Cobb since we didn't go WR in FA. Adds another young WR to an already young group but brings an element we don't currently have. Return ability as well. 

4. Round 3, Pick 76 -- Justin Hollins -- EDGE (Oregon) 

Hollins_Cal2017_SM_1_.JPG

Despite landing both Smith and Barr in FA, Packers still address EDGE on Day 2 and I like Hollins here who's coming off an impressive East-West Shrine weekend plus a solid combine. Considered Winovich and Nelson here, but both had solid combines and I think they'll be gone by our pick. With a build similar to Burns, Hollins ran 4.5, put up 25 reps and posted a 7.06 3-cone and 36.5 vert. He's raw and unpolished which is why he doesn't go earlier, but there's a good product to work with here and he's doesn't have to start from Day 1 given our FA additions. 

5. Round 4, Pick 108 -- Foster Moreau -- TE (LSU)

5c7aba485aab2.image.jpg?resize=400,348

Packers finally address the TE position in Round 4 having missed out earlier on the top options. Moreau has a big frame and can play in-line (something we need), but also showed his athletic ability as well (4.66 and 36.5 vert). 

6. Round 4, Pick 112 -- Ryan Bates -- OL (Penn. St.)

usa_today_11488711.0.jpg

I've liked Bates for a while and he screams Packers given his experience as a college tackle who is probably better suited as an NFL OG, but has the ability to play outside when needed. Moved pretty well at the combine so he should fit our requirements for LaFleur's scheme. 

7. Round 5, Pick 140 -- Myles Gaskin -- RB (Wash)

web1_161002-EDH-MylesGaskin-L1.jpg

Honestly, I don't have a real feel on where Gaskin is going to fall in the draft, I've seen him gone by the 3rd in some, and falling to the 5th in others. He didn't set the world on fire at the combine (4.58) or the agility drills, so I think he'll fall a bit, but from what I watched of him, he seemed to have good vision and was a decisive runner so I think he's a scheme fit for LaFleur. 

8. Round 6, Pick 172 -- Shareef Miller -- EDGE (PSU)

8147193.jpg

EDGE class is too good not to double up, even with the FA additions. Miller might be gone by the 6th round after running a 4.69, but his 16 reps and 29.5 vert show some of his limitations that could keep him around until mid-Day 3. 

9. Round 6, Pick 182 -- Isaac Nauta -- TE (UGA)

4867477.jpg

I thought Nauta was a 3rd-4th round prospect and then he ran a 4.91. Even if that number doesn't drastically improve at his pro day, I'd still take a flier on him if he's there in the 6th round because he plays faster and is a savy route runner as well as a willing blocker. Good value even if he doesn't run well in shorts. 

10. Round 7, Pick 204 -- Delvon Randall -- SAF (Temple)

RandallDelvon-1536308922.jpg

Combine snub who didn't have a great year after being touted as maybe a Day 2 guy earlier on. Add him to the rebuilt safety room and see if he sticks. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Ha, trust me, I didn't like writing it, but I think it's possible. Would make for some interesting training camp practices. 

I certainly don’t want him bcuz of his bush league tactics on Rodgers but that’s not the sole reason. Somebody posted a tweet recently where they broke down his sacks.  Something like all but a few of them were bcuz he was completely unblocked.

Found it:

I don’t want to invest in an edge who can’t get to the QB esp in a position he’s not comfortable at. 

14 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Hell no on Barr. 

Given all the EDGE that are likely going to be available, he's probably the only one who doesn't top out as a 6-8 sack guy.  He was your prototypical EDGE prospect, and he was asked to play as an OBLB.

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I certainly don’t want him bcuz of his bush league tactics on Rodgers but that’s not the sole reason. Somebody posted a tweet recently where they broke down his sacks.  Something like all but a few of them were bcuz he was completely unblocked.

Found it:

I don’t want to invest in an edge who can’t get to the QB esp in a position he’s not comfortable at. 

He's an OBLB whose not rushing the passer consistently, what do you expect?

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Found it:

The Vikings play him as a 4-3 OLB not an EDGE. Long armed, 4.5 guy with a 6.82 cone, I don't see why he couldn't do it. The good guys are going to get tagged, if I have a choice of spending a fortune on Preston Smith, Shaq Barrett or Z Smith or risking it on a 10m deal for Barr, I'm signing Barr.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Vikings play him as a 4-3 OLB not an EDGE. Long armed, 4.5 guy with a 6.82 cone, I don't see why he couldn't do it. The good guys are going to get tagged, if I have a choice of spending a fortune on Preston Smith, Shaq Barrett or Z Smith or risking it on a 10m deal for Barr, I'm signing Barr.

That's where I'm at.  If we can get super creative on a deal (something like an option after Y1), I'm interested.  Right now, the EDGE class is drying up quickly.  And it's not going to get much better.  In terms of preference, it's Barrett and Barr and I'm leaning towards Barr.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That's where I'm at.  If we can get super creative on a deal (something like an option after Y1), I'm interested.  Right now, the EDGE class is drying up quickly.  And it's not going to get much better.  In terms of preference, it's Barrett and Barr and I'm leaning towards Barr.

Then I authorize you and @Packerraymond to get the deal done. Close  it. Make it happen :)

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It’s possible but do you want to invest that kind of money in a player where you’re projecting that possibility into a position he doesn’t play (or hasn’t since the P12 and even then part time)?  Maybe EDGE is more natural for him.

Maybe it’s a disaster.  

That cheap shot on Rodgers certainly was. 

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

It’s possible but do you want to invest that kind of money in a player where you’re projecting that possibility into a position he doesn’t play (or hasn’t since the P12 and even then part time)?  Maybe EDGE is more natural for him. Maybe it’s a disaster.  

And the alternative is to pay a pretty penny to a guy whose topped out at 8 sacks/year?  Paying an EDGE in FA rarely turns out well.  You're overpaying for what you're going to end up giving.  So you either overpay or you end up on the sidelines.  Personally, I'd gamble on the upside with Anthony Barr than go for someone with no legitimate upside.  If we're going down that route, I'd rather roll with Nick Perry or Clay Matthews for a fraction of the price.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And the alternative is to pay a pretty penny to a guy whose topped out at 8 sacks/year?  Paying an EDGE in FA rarely turns out well.  You're overpaying for what you're going to end up giving.  So you either overpay or you end up on the sidelines.  Personally, I'd gamble on the upside with Anthony Barr than go for someone with no legitimate upside.  If we're going down that route, I'd rather roll with Nick Perry or Clay Matthews for a fraction of the price.

I guess we'll see how the market plays out including other positions and how those dominoes fall.

1. There was no cheapshot on Rodgers

2. Even if Barr completely bombs at Edge. We now have the best ILB we've had on this team since at least since I've started watching the team religiously. Is paying him that much money to play ILB overpaying, yeah, but it's not like there isn't a contingency plan in place to mitigate much of the damage.

Archived