Packfanfb's "Almost" Post-Combine Mock Off-season

packfanfb

I would love to have Barr on this team.

Give me someone, any day, that is not intimidated by the persona of an Aaron Rodgers and simply goes about his job.

The hit on Rodgers was not cheap.

Barr celebrating the injury was.

but, it was a clean hit under the rules.

Barr is an outstanding football player.

Therefore, I want him on my team.

I am working on my mock off-season as well... @packfanfb just remember if you designate someone a post June 1st cut, you don't get that cap space until after June 1st, so you can't use that money in March free agency. That's the main issue with designating Perry a post June 1 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am working on my mock off-season as well... @packfanfb just remember if you designate someone a post June 1st cut, you don't get that cap space until after June 1st, so you can't use that money in March free agency. That's the main issue with designating Perry a post June 1 

Yea, I thought about conventional, but I think we end up getting around $10 mil back if we do June 1 versus the $3.5 or whatever now. Seems like the way to go in the long run because I don't think the difference in Perry's cap savings now is going to make or break us being able to do what we want (reasonably) in FA. My numbers may have been off a bit. 

5 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

Im okay with this offseason. I want Devin White badly, he would pair well with Martinez. Hollins is a guy that will be a steal in the 3rd round. good job.

@Outpost31 is gonna love this. Spending huge amounts on EDGE in FA then taking an ILB with the 12th pick. 

I'll be the first to admit, my DREAM off-season is to spend big on Earl Thomas, go lighter at EDGE in FA, get a good OG, and then hammer EDGE in the draft. That being said, this mock was merely to illustrate a route we could go if we strike out on the Thomas or Landon Collins sweepstakes. 

50 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

That's not true.  Post-June 1 cuts basically spread the cap hit over 2 years as opposed to just 1 year.  You get that cap space immediately.

I really love Devin White at ILB.  But....how do you play him and Martinez at the same time?  We are in sub packages just so often that I don't see the value/return there.  Not unless you plan on moving on from Martinez after this year, and I think that would be a mistake.  That and...there's little hope that White makes it to #12.  I can't see Cincy passing on him.  

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I really love Devin White at ILB.  But....how do you play him and Martinez at the same time?  We are in sub packages just so often that I don't see the value/return there.  Not unless you plan on moving on from Martinez after this year, and I think that would be a mistake.  That and...there's little hope that White makes it to #12.  I can't see Cincy passing on him.  

I think Denver is the more obvious landing spot for Devin White.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
57 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

That's not true.  Post-June 1 cuts basically spread the cap hit over 2 years as opposed to just 1 year.  You get that cap space immediately.

Source 1:

However, through the post-June 1 designation, they will unlock $6MM in cap space starting on Friday with just $1.6MM in dead money this year. In 2019, they’ll be faced with the remaining $1.6MM charge.

Because the cap charge for the current league year isn’t reduced until June, designating a player as a post-June 1 cut isn’t hugely advantageous for teams. By June, just about every notable free agent is off the board, so the new savings likely won’t be put toward a major move.

Still, releasing a player in March and designating him a post-June 1 cut can be mutually beneficial for a player and his team. It allows the player to hit the market when potential suitors still have cap room and are still looking to add free agents, and it allows the club to spread out the player’s cap charge without having to actually wait until June 1 to release him — waiting until that point could mean paying roster or workout bonuses in the interim. Additionally, even if the team doesn’t need that June cap space for free agency, it can come in handy for signing draft picks.

2:

But, that’s where the post-June 1 designation offers a false promise. It does save a team money - just not when they would want it. The player is still carried on the books until June 2. In other words, there is no savings for the team during free agency. They do not see salary cap relief until they pass the June 1 mark.

Article 13, Section 6 (b) (ii) Acceleration.

(1) For any player removed from the Team’s roster, or whose Contract is assigned to another Club via waivers or trade, on or before June 1 in any League Year prior to the Final League Year, or at any time during the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts will be included in Team Salary for such League Year, except that for each League Year preceding the Final League Year, each Club may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1 and if not renegotiated after the last regular season game of the prior League Year, shall be treated (except to the extent prescribed by Section 6(d) (iv) below) as if terminated on June 2, i.e., the Salary Cap charge for each such contract will remain in the Club’s Team Salary until June 2, at which time its Paragraph 5 Salary and any unearned LTBE incentives will no longer be counted and any unamortized signing bonus will be treated as set forth in Subsection (2) below. If acceleration puts a Team over the Salary Cap, the Team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap, but may not sign any players until there is Room to do so under the Salary Cap.

If Capers were still here, I’d say Hell No to Barr. I think the value he can bring now is that Pettine can move him around, rush him from any gap. I’m not 100% sold on bringing him in but I don’t hate it as much as I eould have 2 years ago

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think Denver is the more obvious landing spot for Devin White.

I can see Denver. They didn't exercise Brandon Marshall's option so it's a natural fit. Cincy as well if they move on from Burfict. 

You know I'm with you on the Barr and Deebo aditions.  Want to warn you off of Hollins though.  He's a combine infatuation.  Hell of an athlete but is NOT physical, not a hitter and I don't want to see an incarnation of HaHa at Edge.  Later in the draft? That would be more palatable. 

Beware the underwear infatuation.

Archived