Packfanfb's "Almost" Post-Combine Mock Off-season

packfanfb

44 minutes ago, SSG said:

It don't think anyone hates White.  I see him as a poor fit next to Martinez and I don't believe it's worth the cost for the amount we are in our base.  We'd be essentially moving one of our 2 or 3 best defenders to the bench for 60-70% of the game.  In today's NFL, I don't think adding White is going to limit the use of that 5th DB.  An ILB is going to be spending the vast majority of the games on the bench.  

I feel like they'd be able to make it work and keep White/Martinez on the field. White is legitimately a better athlete than any of our safeties right now. I feel pretty confident Pettine could scheme things up with a really talented player.

Also, using last year's usage rates is a little misleading. Our second LB was Antonio Morrison, a stiff that needed to be taken out of the game depending on down/distance. In a scenario with White, we'd be more like Chicago who was able to play both Trev and Roquan. 

35 minutes ago, SSG said:

Martinez, who played almost 99% of our defensive snaps stayed on the field last year.  If we were to spend our #12 on White, he'd surely be the one seeing Martinez's share of snaps given the investment.  We had 3 games where that second ILB played more than 50% of the snaps and and a couple more where Burks and Morrison combined for more than 50%.  Green Bay used 1 LB for the majority of their defensive snaps last year.  If we fix our safety position, I expect that number of snaps with 2 ILBs on the field to decrease.  

The same could be said if we fixed the ILB position too. We ran with 1 ILB because that's basically what was on the roster. If we had a Patrick Willis type ILB, this defense would be using 2 ILBS. Pettine had to scheme the defense to its capabilities which was using 1 ILB. 

45 minutes ago, SSG said:

Martinez, who played almost 99% of our defensive snaps stayed on the field last year.  If we were to spend our #12 on White, he'd surely be the one seeing Martinez's share of snaps given the investment.  We had 3 games where that second ILB played more than 50% of the snaps and and a couple more where Burks and Morrison combined for more than 50%.  Green Bay used 1 LB for the majority of their defensive snaps last year.  If we fix our safety position, I expect that number of snaps with 2 ILBs on the field to decrease.  

Honestly, I doubt we're snagging an ILB at 12. Not with this many EDGE guys floating around and our clear need. I may value the position more than others if filled with a dynamic playmaker - but dont see the team pulling that trigger.

11 minutes ago, OnaBadger58 said:

The same could be said if we fixed the ILB position too. We ran with 1 ILB because that's basically what was on the roster. If we had a Patrick Willis type ILB, this defense would be using 2 ILBS. Pettine had to scheme the defense to its capabilities which was using 1 ILB. 

I don't think "Fixing" the ILB position is going to cause us to put fewer DBs on the field.  

As with the Chicago example above, those ILBs aren't on the field because they have the ability to cover like DBs.  They are on the field because of the elite players in front and beside them.  I'd be more than happy to spend that #12 pick on ILB if you put the best front 7 in football in front of them.  A trio of Justin Smith/ Aldon Smith/ Ahmad Brooks or Akiem Hicks/ Khalil Mack/ Eddie Goldman is going to allow any defense to stay in their base more often.  

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Honestly, I doubt we're snagging an ILB at 12. Not with this many EDGE guys floating around and our clear need. I may value the position more than others if filled with a dynamic playmaker - but dont see the team pulling that trigger.

I agree.  I don't see White fixing the pass defense like others.  I find the idea that he's got the coverage skills of a DB to be far fetched.  Give me a pass rushing OLB so we're not forced to bring the house to get pressure.  Adding White and expecting him to be the pass rushing fix will force this defense  to depend solely on blitzing to get pressure on the QB.  

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't think "Fixing" the ILB position is going to cause us to put fewer DBs on the field.  

As with the Chicago example above, those ILBs aren't on the field because they have the ability to cover like DBs.  They are on the field because of the elite players in front and beside them.  I'd be more than happy to spend that #12 pick on ILB if you put the best front 7 in football in front of them.  A trio of Justin Smith/ Aldon Smith/ Ahmad Brooks or Akiem Hicks/ Khalil Mack/ Eddie Goldman is going to allow any defense to stay in their base more often.  

Hence the purpose of my Mock. A front with Smith-Daniels-Clark-Wilkerson-Barr. Not the best front 7, but a damn good one on paper. 

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  I don't see White fixing the pass defense like others.  I find the idea that he's got the coverage skills of a DB to be far fetched.  Give me a pass rushing OLB so we're not forced to bring the house to get pressure.  Adding White and expecting him to be the pass rushing fix will force this defense  to depend solely on blitzing to get pressure on the QB.  

I'm not fixated on White so much as I like the player skills / defensive concept. Good point regards the DL guys up front making life easier for the ILBs - and its the Dallas / Chicago ILBs that are living the life at the moment because of their skills PLUS the guys up front. I like Martinez - not dissing him - but pairing him up with Ryan (again) or Burks (maybe) or ?????? - dont think I'm being overly critical when I say it doesnt feel like top shelf stuff.

Archived