From Mark to Josh?

Vikes_Bolts1228

I’d absolutely give up a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen. I’d also be for drafting Lock, Haskins or Murray with our 2nd round pick if any of them fell (which is unlikely). 

The Vikings aren’t going to be in a position to draft a QB with Rosen’s potential before Cousins leaves. Cousins will play well enough, and this team is talented enough, to not end up with a top 15 pick over the next couple of years. Rosen is a better bet than anything we’re likely to have a shot at in the next 2 seasons. He’s the perfect kind of QB to sit for 2 years and hand the reigns to. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’d absolutely give up a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen. I’d also be for drafting Lock, Haskins or Murray with our 2nd round pick if any of them fell (which is unlikely). 

The Vikings aren’t going to be in a position to draft a QB with Rosen’s potential before Cousins leaves. Cousins will play well enough, and this team is talented enough, to not end up with a top 15 pick over the next couple of years. Rosen is a better bet than anything we’re likely to have a shot at in the next 2 seasons. He’s the perfect kind of QB to sit for 2 years and hand the reigns to. 

I disagree with you completely.  But, that may be because I don't think Rosen has all that much potential.  :D  While guys like Tua, Fromm and Herbert might be gone by then, I'd probably bet someone of the group of Patterson (Michigan), Hurts (Oklahoma), Eason (Washington) or Costello (Stanford) will rise up to be better than Rosen.  I've just never been much of a fan of his.  

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I disagree with you completely.  But, that may be because I don't think Rosen has all that much potential.  :D  While guys like Tua, Fromm and Herbert might be gone by then, I'd probably bet someone of the group of Patterson (Michigan), Hurts (Oklahoma), Eason (Washington) or Costello (Stanford) will rise up to be better than Rosen.  I've just never been much of a fan of his.  

I don't get it. What about Rosen's game do you dislike? He's an extremely intelligent pocket passer with the arm to make every throw. He's about middle of the pack athletically (tested way better than Cousins). 

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't get it. What about Rosen's game do you dislike? He's an extremely intelligent pocket passer with the arm to make every throw. He's about middle of the pack athletically (tested way better than Cousins). 

For me, everything about a QB starts with the personality...of his leadership skills.  Because if you don't have that, all the physical skills mean nothing.  Take a look at Jeff George, for example, who was the #1 QB taken overall in 1990.  All the talent in the world, but had a ten cent personality.  Couldn't lead a team if his life depended on it.  Neil O'Donnell, taken 2 rounds later, had just as productive a career despite not having nearly the physical skills and led the Steelers to the Super Bowl (and played a vital role in subbing for an injured Steve McNair during the Titans' SB run in '99) and the lowest interception percentage for a career in NFL history (until Aaron Rodgers eclipsed it).  

Which leads me to Rosen, his personality struck me negatively right from the start.  Players just don't follow him.  It doesn't matter how gifted he is physically.  If he couldn't lead the Bruins' offense in UCLA all that well, I highly doubt that he's going to be able to lead anyone in the NFL.  

Do you have any specific examples? Most of the "personality flaw" reports are from media meatheads that can't comprehend that a young, smart college age student might have some understanding and general interest in things going on outside of football. 

Here are some specific examples that contradict your opinion of him:

Talking to Phil Dawson after missing a kick
Quotes from college teammates

Edited by JDBrocks

However, according to Bleacher Report lead draft analyst Matt Miller, the Giants may have another means for finding a young quarterback to groom behind Manning. Per Miller's anonymous sources, the Giants would have interest in trading for Cardinals second-year quarterback Josh Rosen if he is made available via trade. On the 'Stick to Football' podcast, Miller named the Giants as the team who would have "serious interest" in trading for Rosen.

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

At what point would the Cardinals keep Rosen as a backup? Or even let them compete for this year? It would it be hard to keep him after giving up on him already

Rosen's agent demands a trade before the card makes it to the podium on draft night. As for Rosen, he had absolutely no chance to succeed on that team. By week 17 his offensive line looked like an AAF teams practice squad. He would kill to have Mike Remmers blocking for him. 

Cardinals Week 17 Starting OL:

LT: Will Holden

LG: Colby Gossett

C: Mason Cole

RG: Oday Aboushi

RT: Joe Barksdale

Now granted, they lost all pro starters Mike Iupati and Andre Smith....alright enough sarcasm. He was in a terrible situation. If his coaching staff doesn't believe he's the guy he needs a change of scenery, unless that change of scenery involves New Orleans or Green Bay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Do you have any specific examples? Most of the "personality flaw" reports are from media meatheads that can't comprehend that a young, smart college age student might have some understanding and general interest in things going on outside of football. 

Here are some specific examples that contradict your opinion of him:

Talking to Phil Dawson after missing a kick
Quotes from college teammates

I tend to believe that there is some validity to the rumor, because I didn't hear it from just one source.  Feel free to believe what you will, but nothing he has done thus far has proven that he can lead a team (of course, it's only been a year though).  But, there's also a difference between loving a teammate and being able to lead them.  They may like him, that doesn't mean that he can lead them anywhere.

To use our own QB as an example, there's not a bad word that anyone can really say about Kirk.  But, that doesn't mean he can lead them anywhere.  I hope so, but he has yet to prove it.    

Edited by swede700

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

If we could get Rosen for our second round pick I would be on that deal like a bum on a bologna sandwich!

I think most NFL pundits are thinking that the Cardinals shouldn't expect anything higher than a 3rd for Rosen.  I think even shopping Rosen around only after a year, playing behind an offensive line that might rival the 2018 Vikings line for league's most incompetent, is probably a death knell to his NFL career.  He may catch on as a back up somewhere and get lucky in the NFL...but I bet that his next starting gig will be in another league.  The NFL is quickly becoming impatient with it's young men.  They are living by the principle that instant gratification isn't fast enough!! 

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think most NFL pundits are thinking that the Cardinals shouldn't expect anything higher than a 3rd for Rosen.  I think even shopping Rosen around only after a year, playing behind an offensive line that might rival the 2018 Vikings line for league's most incompetent, is probably a death knell to his NFL career.  He may catch on as a back up somewhere and get lucky in the NFL...but I bet that his next starting gig will be in another league.  The NFL is quickly becoming impatient with it's young men.  They are living by the principle that instant gratification isn't fast enough!! 

That's true, but we are in a unique situation where we have a starter locked up for two years but after that, who knows?  To me, the potential upside is well worth the risk of trading for him and letting him sit and learn behind Cousins for a couple years.  If things work out with Kirk, we haven't lost much.  At worst, we have a good backup.  At best, we have a guy who can come in and keep our window open if the Cousins experiment turns out to be a failure.  Because of Cousins we don't have to worry about instant gratification with a guy like Rosen.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's true, but we are in a unique situation where we have a starter locked up for two years but after that, who knows?  To me, the potential upside is well worth the risk of trading for him and letting him sit and learn behind Cousins for a couple years.  If things work out with Kirk, we haven't lost much.  At worst, we have a good backup.  At best, we have a guy who can come in and keep our window open if the Cousins experiment turns out to be a failure.  Because of Cousins we don't have to worry about instant gratification with a guy like Rosen.

I wasn't specifically referencing Cousins or the Vikings.  You are correct in that an $84,000,000.00 fully guaranteed contract enforces "patience" on the Vikings leadership.  If Rosen became a Viking, part of me would want him not to learn anything from Cousins.  But, at this point, I'm not sure Rosen offers all that much more than Siemien.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Keenum on an inexpensive contract.