From Mark to Josh?

Vikes_Bolts1228

18 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think most NFL pundits are thinking that the Cardinals shouldn't expect anything higher than a 3rd for Rosen.  I think even shopping Rosen around only after a year, playing behind an offensive line that might rival the 2018 Vikings line for league's most incompetent, is probably a death knell to his NFL career.  He may catch on as a back up somewhere and get lucky in the NFL...but I bet that his next starting gig will be in another league.  The NFL is quickly becoming impatient with it's young men.  They are living by the principle that instant gratification isn't fast enough!! 

I think his best shot is going to a place like NE or the Chargers where they have an established starter and established culture where he can be the "next" guy instead of being "the" guy right away.

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wasn't specifically referencing Cousins or the Vikings.  You are correct in that an $84,000,000.00 fully guaranteed contract enforces "patience" on the Vikings leadership.  If Rosen became a Viking, part of me would want him not to learn anything from Cousins.  But, at this point, I'm not sure Rosen offers all that much more than Siemien.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Keenum on an inexpensive contract.

I still haven't given up on Cousins.  Last year ended badly, but we will have to see how he does with a better O-line and another year in the system.  Mike Zimmer said in an interview recently that every single player he has ever traded for in his career has done better in year two than in year one.

When it comes to Rosen, it seems WAY too early for the league to give up on him.  He played on a horrible team.  Give him some stability in an organization with a lot of talent around him and he could very well thrive.  In fact, even though Case Keenum had a memorable season with us in 2017, I don't think there are too many people who think he could repeat that.  He has hit his ceiling, IMO.  Rosen's ceiling could be much higher than that of Case.  Admittedly, his floor could also be lower, but it's hard to say at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Because he was horrendous last year, so right now he doesn't offer more. In the future? Possibly.

Yes, this is the answer I would've provide JDBrocks.  If Cousins went down because of injury or if he were benched because of playing ineffectively, I want someone who is going to come into the huddle, take command, and win the darn ballgame.  Truth is, I am not sure Rosen, Siemien, Sloter or 99% of backups in the league can actually produce at this level.  Not every team is blessed with a Nick Foles. 

Edited by Guest

Warren Sharp✔@SharpFootball

Some context surrounding Josh Rosen's 2018 rookie season:

•Switched OCs mid-season
•Played behind NFL's worst pass pro O-Line & was extremely inexperienced
•Extremely inexperienced receiving corps
•Of any rookie QB:
-Faced most top-15 pass Ds
-Faced least bottom-15 pass Ds

He also had the support of the NFL's worst rushing attack. And was faced with 8.4 yards to go on 3rd downs on avg, the most in the NFL, setting up predictable passing situations needing deeper routes to convert behind the NFL's worst offensive line. Not great.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Rosen is good but I'm saving those picks to move up and grab Trevor Lawrence.

That's gonna take about 5 first rounders if we're picking in the back half of the first round where we should be picking in two years.

On 3/5/2019 at 5:22 PM, vike daddy said:

Warren Sharp✔@SharpFootball

Some context surrounding Josh Rosen's 2018 rookie season:

•Switched OCs mid-season
•Played behind NFL's worst pass pro O-Line & was extremely inexperienced
•Extremely inexperienced receiving corps
•Of any rookie QB:
-Faced most top-15 pass Ds
-Faced least bottom-15 pass Ds

He also had the support of the NFL's worst rushing attack. And was faced with 8.4 yards to go on 3rd downs on avg, the most in the NFL, setting up predictable passing situations needing deeper routes to convert behind the NFL's worst offensive line. Not great.

I don't think there is any rookie in history who would have had a good season under those circumstances.

Except maybe Tim Tebow.

• Like 1

If the Cards are willing to let him go for a 3rd, I see no reason why the Vikings shouldn't do that and have him sit behind cousins. This would be the best thing for Rosen  long term. I wouldn't want him to be the next David Carr.

I just don't see cousins here after that 3rd year seeing as he didnt want to sign for a 4-5 year deal with us in the first place. Might as well have a great backup plan! Could be our young Brett Favre, seeing as Favre had the same situation early in his career. We all know how well that turned out for Favre.

Since Kirk is signed up for $84 million dollars of guaranteed money there is no way we think of trading big time draft capital for Josh Rosen.  

I hated Josh Rosen coming into the draft based on his lack of leadership and on field success in terms of winning anything, just comes off as an odd dude that many NFL guys would not follow.  With that being said, if I could magically get rid of that Cousin's contract and get Rosen a young QB who is cheaper instead I would consider that.  Even with Rosen being awful in the pocket, he is more a statue back there than Kirk and Kirk got killed last season behind the Vikings O line.  Still the amount of money we are giving Cousin's I have a big problem with just like I had a problem with how we gave away so much to get crappy Sam Bradford.  

Great they are spending money on a QB but they spent it on the wrong QB I think.  Heck I do not even like Haskins, I think he is a little overrated and greatly helped by who he played with on Ohio State, but I would take him all day long over Cousins as well.  Or give me Carson Wentz who some are down on, trade him straight up for Cousins yeah give me that.