Devils Top Prospects(2019 Midseason Complete)

devils1854

On 7/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Why do you think Cabrera’s struggled so much this season down in Memphis? 

Also, gonna make me sound like a homer but I think Dylan Carlson should be higher. 

HR/9 is 2.04 this season. Ks and BBs are steady. GB and LD percentages are up. I think its partly due to the new ball in AAA and pitching part of his games in the equivalent of Coors Field. He's not an advanced pitcher at his age, so he's not great at hitting his spots, so leaving anything over the plate in the PCL is a problem this year. 

I wouldnt be too worried. He pitched well at home and in Nashville, at much fairer parks. He's probably lost some confidence because of this. 

On 7/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, freakygeniuskid said:

Questions:

No Deivi Garcia in the top 150? Are you thinking he is a BP arm eventually? I think I saw Law has him mid-season top 50, and he's a notorious short pitcher hater, so I'd assumed that his being projected for rotation long term was basically consensus. I haven't had time to dig on him much so I'd love to know the case behind him being a reliever long term.

Same question on George Valera. I've seen a ton of work putting him and Julio Rodriguez in a tier together and Julio was in your top 25. Do you think the power never comes around on Valera to match the plate approach?

Devi Garcia is at #100. Im always weary of short guys, and Garcia is about 5'9 and small. I do think he has the three pitches necessary to be a starter in the majors if his body can hold up. He's never pitched 75 innings in a season yet, so he is a big wait and see if he can hold up or if he is a reliever. 

To me, Valera is nothing close to Rodriguez. Rodriguez is a true 5 tool guy with a big baseball body. Valera is a lot smaller, and I think is a left fielder once he starts rising up levels. He's doing well in the NY/Penn, but I dont think he has really stood out yet. Need to see more of him. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Couple Orioles related questions as a Baltimore fan

1.) Hall over G-Rod, what's your reasons behind it?  G-Rod was Pipeline's top jumper through the rankings and is now ahead of Hall, and I see Hall has some control issues to work out still.  

2.) With the whole mess with Davis/Mancini/Nunez on the MLB roster, what is going to be Mountcastle's position when he comes up?  I'm thinking it has to be LF, but man that's going to be rough defensively.  

3.) Who would be the 2-3 next Orioles prospects who are outside of your 150? 

Great list by the way, and thanks for all the work you've put into it. 

I loved Hall in the draft, and he hasnt done anything yet for my love to stop. The fastball is there. The offspeed is there. Just need to develop the change and command. Other than walks, he is completely dominating High A. He's striking out guys at a huge number and no one can hit him. 

Mountcastle will be at first. He's played all games but 9 there in AAA this year. Maybe the team tries him in left, but he's not overly athletic and would be one of the worst defenders there from day one.

Hays is still somewhat interesting. He's hitting above average this year. He's good enough defensively to be ok in the majors. I think he could be a low level starter still at the major league level with a small chance of being more. Bruce Zimmermann is once again pitching well. I liked him as a bullpen option with the Braves, and I think he could be a back end starter next year for the Orioles, that could be an even better reliever. Adam Hall is another guy to watch to see if the power continues to grow as he ages. If he can get that up with his speed, he could find his way onto a major league roster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Is Waters a possible trade prospect? 

Not for Bumgarner and Smith. Wright and Wilson would probably be the headliners for a trade like that.

It would take Bauer, Thor, or someone like that to get Pache/Waters/Anderson.

• Like 1

Just now, devils1854 said:

Not for Bumgarner and Smith. Wright and Wilson would probably be the headliners for a trade like that.

It would take Bauer, Thor, or someone like that to get Pache/Waters/Anderson.

Yeah, I didn't think so. I've been hearing a lot of positive things about Waters lately it feels like, so I wanted to check in on that lol

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I didn't think so. I've been hearing a lot of positive things about Waters lately it feels like, so I wanted to check in on that lol

I think Waters is the better prospect. I think he is guaranteed to be at least an above average hitter and his defense is good, not just good enough. He doesnt have the complete superstar ceiling that Pache has, but Pache reaching it is probably not going to happen. 

Look at 2005 Grady Sizemore before he went completely off for about three years. I think that can be Waters. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, devils1854 said:

I think Waters is the better prospect. I think he is guaranteed to be at least an above average hitter and his defense is good, not just good enough. He doesnt have the complete superstar ceiling that Pache has, but Pache reaching it is probably not going to happen. 

Look at 2005 Grady Sizemore before he went completely off for about three years. I think that can be Waters. 

i dont even know if waters has a better floor than pache. Pache has undoubtedly performed as well as, and likely better than, waters this year when you dig into stats. Walks more, strikes out less, has hit well. Seems like he keeps getting better and better, although still a ways to go. ANd I really like waters for the record. 

Edited by GSUeagles14

16 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

But Trent Grisham has looked like a Dude this year.  Where the hell did that come from?  Swing tweaks?

Oh yeah. He completely changed his approach. He stopped with that stupid split grip, he stopped taking hittable pitches and started pulling the ball rather than the spray approach. Total retool. 

• Like 1