Dorsey's Top 5 Positions of Importance

brownie man

37 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think it comes down to DL or CB. The talent is with the DL bu the greater need is with the CB imo.

I have no idea how this notion got started and it couldn't be further from the truth. We have 3 legit NFL talents one of which is a super star in the making and a good special teams player in the CB unit which most teams carry 5 or 6. I understand that Mitchell and Carrie are not the shinny new stud that every wanted to pair with Ward but they are fine NFL level players. Would it be nice to upgrade? Sure, but it is no necessary. 

We have 4 NFL level talents two of which are depth talents in Emmanuel Ogbah and Chris Smith on the defensive line unit which most teams carry 9 or 10. We only have 2 worthy starters among the 4 open spots. Ogbah and Conley are garbage as starting Dlineman and honestly Conley shouldn't even be higher than a 4th man in a DT rotation. Brice Price, Carl Davis, Anthony Zettel and anyone else who might be on the roster now are JV level talents a half a step away from playing in the AAF.

DL is the greatest need on this team without question.

JD doesn't give you a whole lot of anything, so I wouldn't read too much into what he provided.  Additionally, that would largely fall in line with what much of the football world would agree upon as far as positional value.  Though DL would seem to rank #1 as the most sense when you also consider the need, I don't know that I'd base that potential outcome on anything Dorsey revealed.  I also think there will be some consideration from the staff.  As we saw last year with the Chubb/Ward debate, a DC was able to tip the scales with his own thoughts on what was needed to have defensive success. 

4 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I have no idea how this notion got started and it couldn't be further from the truth. We have 3 legit NFL talents one of which is a super star in the making and a good special teams player in the CB unit which most teams carry 5 or 6. I understand that Mitchell and Carrie are not the shinny new stud that every wanted to pair with Ward but they are fine NFL level players. Would it be nice to upgrade? Sure, but it is no necessary. 

We have 4 NFL level talents two of which are depth talents in Emmanuel Ogbah and Chris Smith on the defensive line unit which most teams carry 9 or 10. We only have 2 worthy starters among the 4 open spots. Ogbah and Conley are garbage as starting Dlineman and honestly Conley shouldn't even be higher than a 4th man in a DT rotation. Brice Price, Carl Davis, Anthony Zettel and anyone else who might be on the roster now are JV level talents a half a step away from playing in the AAF.

DL is the greatest need on this team without question.

You took the words right out of my mouth. How anyone could think that CB is a bigger need for us then DT or weak side DE obviously didn't watch any Browns games last season. Shoot LB is prob a bigger need then CB but a LB's value is not as high as a CB but still. 

Our Dline needs upgraded more than CB, IMO. The way I look at it, Myles, Larry, and Denzel all need running mates to get the best from them. That's a DE, a DT, and a CB. Which should be do-able this off-season, along with a WR, LB, and Olineman. 

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Our Dline needs upgraded more than CB, IMO. The way I look at it, Myles, Larry, and Denzel all need running mates to get the best from them. That's a DE, a DT, and a CB. Which should be do-able this off-season, along with a WR, LB, and Olineman. 

I agree and I think it's by a significant margin.  Mitchell, Carrie, and Gaines aren't world beaters but can hold their own.  BBC can move down there if needed.  I don't want Larry O and Garrett playing 90% of the snaps again next year.

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I agree and I think it's by a significant margin.  Mitchell, Carrie, and Gaines aren't world beaters but can hold their own.  BBC can move down there if needed.  I don't want Larry O and Garrett playing 90% of the snaps again next year.

We didn't tender BBC I don't see much of a chance he is a Brown in 2019.

Although I'd have been fine with tendering BBC, my guess is there's a reason behind this and that JD knows something we don't.  It wouldn't have been a great cost to keep him around.  I'm curious if the legal tampering at CB has already begun at the position, and they are already homing in on 1-2 guys at the position, negating any reason to keep BBC around to compete. 

For me, even if that's the case, I'd have still preferred to keep him.  It's a small price to pay. 

I'm still not sure I like any talk of Duke getting traded.  I get it from the perspective that Hunt/Chubb really limits Duke's reps.  However, Hunt is still both a short and long-term question mark.  And, Duke has started his career here and been effective on a team that has not enjoyed much success.  I would like to see him be a part of a playoff push here personally.  Especially considering that we are likely not to have Hunt for at least half the year.  What do we do with our 2nd back for that stretch?  And what does the position look like if Chubb were to go down to an injury for a few weeks?  Duke has experience running, catching passes, and pass blocking.   I don't like questioning JD, as he knows way more how to do the job than me.  However, I'd love to hold on to some of the guys that have been positives on this team. 

Collins I don't really care.  I'm just under the assumption that if he walks, we're going to get a couple guys on this roster that are better within the system than him anyways. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What would it have cost to tender BBC?  This is an inexpensive proposition, right?

2nd round tender would be 3.11 million which if you think about it a CB of his caliber is not going to pull down 3 million on a one year contract in free agency. A player like him is getting closer to veteran minimum which is 1/3 the cost.

Here is a list of just a few of the far better players that signed for less money or slightly more money as far superior players. Even at the original round tender Boddy-Calhoun would cost 2.05 million. John Dorsey still might want him back but closer to that 1 mil a year range or he can find someone to replace him at the bottom of the free agency pool for similar money.

Rashaan Melvin 1 yr 5.5
E.J. Gaines 1yr 4 mil
Vontae Daves 1yr 5 mil
Terrance Mitchell 3 yr 10 million
Tramain Brock 1yr 3 million
K'Waun Williams 1yr 765k
Sam Shields 1yr 1.5 million
Orlando Scandrick 1 yr 1.4 million
Justin Bethal 1 yr 1.75 million
Leon Hall 1 yr 1.1 million
Pierre Desir 1 yr 1 million
Breshaud Breeland 1 yr 880k