Did any of you ever go to Woodstock in 1999?

TecmoSuperJoe

The 50th anniversary of Woodstock is coming up, and there will be two events celebrating it this year. One in Watkins Glenn, New York, and the other at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel, New York where the original 1969 Woodstock was held. This will be first Woodstock celebration since 1999, which if you remember at the time ended in disaster. 

I was only 12 at the time, but I remember watching the coverage on MTV who were there exclusively, and soon had to depart because of the ensuing violence that put people in danger. It didn't take long for the festivities to get out of control due to what seemed to be a perfect storm of circumstances. From the start there was blistering heat, high prices on water and food, allegations of sexual assault/rape, unsuitable waste facilities, lack of hired security, fires, riots, and people that just went nutty. I'll never forget seeing a few people deciding to form like a "mud tribe", and throwing mud and/or feces at other people at the festival. Absolute lunacy. Also, a few of the associated acts at that time that in my opinion branded a "screw authority" vibe didn't help matters. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, and Kid Rock. Obviously I wasn't there, and maybe the media had a part in sensationalizing the entire affair afterward, but some of the things I did see was pretty crazy. From what I hear, a lot of people did have a great time though, and most of the acts put on great performances. 

So, did any of you attend? Also, will you be going this year? I definitely don't think what happened back then would happen now. Like I stated previously it was just a perfect storm of circumstances with not only the event, but where American society was at the time. 

I will say, that the reason why I made this post anyway, was because I recently watched that Fyre documentary on Netflix. The chaos that unfolded, Woodstock 1999 just popped back into my head. 

• 4 years later...

Woodstock_KeyArt_1x1.jpg

Funny that you posted this as I watched this last night. I got invited to go but wasn't about to drive across the country for that lineup.  I couldn’t imagine being around that many Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock fans lol.  

It’s too bad the festival devolved into the disaster that it did but it’s not surprising considering how arrogantly unprepared they were.  Jon Scher not taking any accountability in this documentary wasn’t a good look either. 

8 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

There’s a Woodstock Doc on Netflix also 

Yeah that’s the one I watched. Made me nostalgic for it even though I was 7 and didn’t even know it was a thing until I watched the doc. 

what’s up with streaming services copying each other’s docs? This, fyre fest, etc 

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Yeah that’s the one I watched. Made me nostalgic for it even though I was 7 and didn’t even know it was a thing until I watched the doc. 

what’s up with streaming services copying each other’s docs? This, fyre fest, etc 

Taking a page from movie studios when two movies of the same character get released in same year.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:01 AM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Sevendust

I saw them open for Fuel back in the early 2000s. Sevendust was amazing live.  Fuel we walked out after a couple of songs they were so bad.  Also the opener Nonpoint was pretty good.