Donovan Smith resigned: 3 years $41.25M ($27M guaranteed)

bucsfan333

7 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Sure it says above average but he’s the 46th Tackle. There are 64 starting Tackles in the NFL. That’s not average among starters. At the end of the day none of this matters cuz he’s staying in Tampa. My only point is he’ll be paid top 10, maybe top 5 money to be the 46th best Tackle. Wonder where he’d be if Guards and Centers were in that ranking too.

But that's how contracts work now. If we don't pay him $14M on the tag, someone else will give him a $14M contract.

Smith, much like Winston is how will he do under a new coaching staff.  As far as his ranking in relation to other tackles, his durability is a huge plus.  In his draft class,  it can be argued Smith was  the best tackle drafted in his class.  Other tackles were drafted, but kicked inside to guard.  If he gets a long term deal with the first 2 yrs guaranteed, that is okay in my book. 

Oh yeah fully aware that we lose him if we don’t pay him or tag him it’s just dumb to me that his production is not even close to what he will get paid. But like @ravishingone mentioned, coaching could be a big reason for improvement and I hope so. It just irks me the Smith made some comment about wanting to be the highest paid LT last off-season and then was lazy on plays far too often when he has more than enough ability.

I think the people in this office are idiot's for placing this tag on Smith 

Elite organizations don't pay sub par talent  this kind of money 

I would rather have worse play at the LT position and pay peanuts , than have Don Smith play for top 5 LT money

What was it ?14 mil??

That's Mosely in the building 

But no

We hv Don ***************** Smith 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I think the people in this office are idiot's for placing this tag on Smith 

Elite organizations don't pay sub par talent  this kind of money 

I would rather have worse play at the LT position and pay peanuts , than have Don Smith play for top 5 LT money

What was it ?14 mil??

That's Mosely in the building 

But no

We hv Don ***************** Smith 

I'm fine with the 1 year tag, I actually think it was smart move. Do you overpay for 1 year? Yes, but you're not hamstrung long term and it still keeps guys motivated to play for that next contract...

You make him go out and prove he's worth the extension commitment. If he is, you give him the deal. If he isn't, you move on next year with no financial backlash...

I know PFF had him graded as like the 46th best OT, but let's not act like their the final word on a player's value. They're grading scale is useful, but it has it's flaws too...

Smith was actually one the the better pass protection OTs in the league in 2018, his biggest struggles came in ground game. He's still very valuable and durable and hard to find a plug and play LT to replace him...

I'm willing to pay 4 million more for 1 year in order to keep a known LT in place and not create another hole to fill in FA of draft...

I also doubt CJ Mosley is on our radar if the draft rumors are true on White...

I mean. Our offense isn't the problem. And D Smith played more snaps than anyone in this offense. Hell, he's played more snaps in this offense than anyone since we drafted him.

He's not the turnstile everyone makes him out to be. He struggles at times, sure. But he's also capable of being a complete wall.

One more year under a different coaching staff isn't the end of the world.

Yeah I have no issue with the tag. Buys us some time to get his replacment next year in the draft first round if he plays like he usually does. 

Its astonishing that at his size he is a below average run blocker. Couple to the fact that his motor sucks and never finishes plays its extremely frustrating to watch. Im curious to see what the coaches can do to teach him better technique. If no improvement then simply move on and draft a LT in 2020.

Archived